I’ve noticed lately that a lot of people have been asking on how to raise BBS to adulthood. I’ve had a look at the composition of the average “Sea Monkey” science set, and established that room temperature is fine and that they eat Spirulina. I’ve got some algae tabs on hand: 81AA428E-1F2F-42CF-B19D-E4CDBCD6CC30.jpeg.fb8983f67682478638d2d3a047c0e299.jpeg

Which I can probably ground up.

I also put some BBS on the go in anticipation.

898C6C98-BD3F-44C7-84B8-5CD902CFC023.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/21/2023 at 11:30 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I’ve noticed lately that a lot of people have been asking on how to raise BBS to adulthood. I’ve had a look at the composition of the average “Sea Monkey” science set, and established that room temperature is fine and that they eat Spirulina. I’ve got some algae tabs on hand: 81AA428E-1F2F-42CF-B19D-E4CDBCD6CC30.jpeg.fb8983f67682478638d2d3a047c0e299.jpeg

Which I can probably ground up.

I also put some BBS on the go in anticipation.

898C6C98-BD3F-44C7-84B8-5CD902CFC023.jpeg

1. im pretty sure they need their algae ground up

2. @Coryhas talked about this on a livestream, that its very hard to raise them up in such a small container, hmm.. maybe i need to try this too.

On 2/21/2023 at 5:38 PM, Theplatymaster said:

hard to raise them up in such a small container,

They’re going to go into a Fluval breeder box afterwards, which is a tad bigger. 
If you have a look at the “Sea monkey” kid science sets (got one a couple of years back) the BBS are in really tiny containers. Maybe 1/3 of a gallon tops. 

On 2/21/2023 at 11:58 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

How about we just take a picture of our set ups at the end and the forum members can decide. Winner gets to put “Brine Shrimp King” in their signature bar. 

🤣🤣

sounds good.

can i preface this competition by saying i have NO IDEA what i am doing, im just gonna treat them like freshwater fish, but add salt.

• Haha 1

On 2/21/2023 at 1:47 PM, Theplatymaster said:

im using community crave, crushed up fine.

first  ingredient:Spirulina

Take a half hour and a sandwich bag and pick out the green flakes.  The community crave is a blend of their krill and spirulina flakes.  If you're going for pure spirulina it's a good source.  I just got some myself 🙂 .

I found it! This will get extensive, I apologize. I've watched ACO videos on BBS, KeepingFishSimple, and about 5 other videos about raising to adulthood. So. I've been going at this now since December. I'm really frustrated because the silly little sea monkey kits have absolutely nothing. And yet children can somehow raise these things to adulthood!?

They always hatch and live at minimum 3 days, typically dying off 4-8 days later

The most recent thing i tried was light air, enough to move the eggs around, for over 24hrs. Day 2, I changed the air to a trickle. I've heard new BBS can be damaged and die from too much air. It's day three, this evening the water is cloudy and smelly. So theyre dead. I have them on the heat pad, and keep them between 70 and 82. Stable as I can.

I've tried:

Full air, feeding most in the first few days to fish. Then leaving them, clearing old egg casings from the top. Air, heat, tiny pinches of spirulina powder when its empty of it. I think this has been the best results.

Rinsing them after three days and moving them to new water. Nothing added to longevity.

Putting in a baster full of cycled aquarium water. No noticeable affect

Himalayan pink salt, aquarium salt. No noticeable difference

I've tried doing the above and then moving the old ones to the other container, with a sponge filter, on the heat, to grow out. No dice.

I've tried slowing the air, using a sponge filter, the spirulina seems to be optimal food, heat,  1-2TBSP of salt and 1/4TSP-1TSP of BBS or so each try.

Air stone with different air outputs, large fast bubbles, large slow bubbles. Small fast and small slow, via small airline with nothing on it. Mini sponge filter after the first few days. 

I would love to have my White Clouds spawn, but its not the end if they dont. Really, I just my Betta to be able to easily eat these. Currently I have him come up to the end of the baster and try to get him to bite into the largest part of the BBS crowd coming out. Once theyre out he cant really get them and theyre for the WCs. I tried offering them to my Oscars, so far as to let the BBS go directly infront of their faces. They didnt recognize food. So if theyre bigger I can give them to all of my fish. I dont even care about having a supply, the eggs are cheap enough. 

To add, I have very hard water and our city is built on limestone. My shrimp have no problem molting at all. BBS have been recorded at doing well in various PH levels