On 8/17/2022 at 11:36 AM, Patrick_G said:

Big changes in the GS fishroom! I hope you find those fancy catfish you’re looking for. The Bumblebees look really fun. They’re pretty big, are you planning a tank upgrade? 

These are not The Asian Bumblebee cats Psudomystus siamensis.  I’m looking at  Microglanis iheringi who only get 3.5 inches. I really am not sure on them though as that means moving my nerites and me doing windows in the 40 😝🤮. They are neat and interesting but I would rather have the Asian stone cats. Tiny little buggers 🥰

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Sneak peak. This is the new group of pandas with my panda fry tank. I added some quick tall Java fern and anubias for the fish coming out of qt next week.  This will be their home and they like tall plants. It obviously will look better once everything else grows in full but just being redone for the pandas JF and anubias are good quick tall cheats 🤣

I never even talked about these fish it was a total impulse purchase to get a group of juveniles because they were available.  I’ve looked at them before but never pulled the trigger.

Stay tuned for next weeks debute…I’m very excited but don’t want to jinx it 🤫 

BA594C38-8FEF-4997-9751-0D203C3F9A86.jpeg

09C64734-0336-4B53-93EF-B48FB4577B06.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2
  • Love 4

Gup is going grindal.  I had a dish of these quite a few years ago.  My new (not yet revealed) additions need more small live food. I am LOUSY at live cultures other than BBS and microworms so I am going to give these a go again. I copied the description as well so anyone who hasn’t kept them can easily see how. 

C8210E94-FA78-4C06-9C66-7C9B4D5BA5C4.jpeg

B311D2AB-3DBD-4392-8D3F-8B25962E7375.png

089C26F6-2DCB-4284-AED3-F4D55370608B.png

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

On 8/18/2022 at 11:49 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The vinegar eels seem like they could be easy?

They sure do.  Let me tell you of my EPIC disaster with them 🤣

Split to 2 glass bottles so I always had a backup in case something happened because I crash most live cultures. 

Bad eyes so even with a magnifying glass and phone camera zoomed through the magnifying glass I could not see anything. Waited 2 months. So I sat them on the edge of the counter near the door for sunlight in my kitchen to hopefully see if any had surfaced through the floss.  Got so close I knocked it right off the counter onto my ceramic tile floor and shattered it. Was so startled when it started to fall I jumped back quick to grab it thereby knocking the second glass bottle to the same ceramic tile floor that is bordered with carpeting in my dining room that became soaked. My house STANK for weeks. Hubby has since outlawed anything stinky 🤣. I hide the microworm cultures in the fish room closet. 

• Haha 4

Today I played with POWER TOOLS 🤣

I have lots of chuncks of Mopani  I always wished were hollowed out or at least had swim through holes. My new kids will need tunnels and sight breaks. They are very aggressive towards one another. Gup is getting her feet wet with cichlids 😲🤯 

So I hollowed out 2 pieces so one is like branches and a jungle gym  the other piece was just a weird very phallic and not natural looking so I made tunnels thru it and softened the edges  it came as a set quite some time ago and I really wanted the other piece  

Hubby broke out the wood rasps and files for me and I broke out the drill  I drilled multiple holes together then filed them out  the one turned out great. The phallic one is no longer offensive  

D4F2F84C-B3BB-4078-9394-BA32EB7931E9.jpeg

B1490C98-685F-4D00-8DAD-58D85E1C79DA.jpeg

C4F0668F-3D72-4A4F-9DDF-728B24EC8394.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 6
  • Love 2

The wood looks cool @Guppysnail.  Cichlids are really fun. When mine would mate they would circle around each other really fast and they would be cycling through different colors while they did that. Ie: the bright yellow one would turn navy blue, then purple. My brother said they were doing the Yin Yang, because that’s the kind of shape they would make in their dance. Also certain cichlids carry babies in their mouth to protect them. I had mbunas that did that. 

Here’s a video that I followed for swim throughs. Making these is really as easy as it looks in the video. 

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2022 at 8:48 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The wood looks cool @Guppysnail.  Cichlids are really fun. When mine would mate they would circle around each other really fast and they would be cycling through different colors while they did that. Ie: the bright yellow one would turn navy blue, then purple. My brother said they were doing the Yin Yang, because that’s the kind of shape they would make in their dance. Also certain cichlids carry babies in their mouth to protect them. I had mbunas that did that. 

Here’s a video that I followed for swim throughs. Making these is really as easy as it looks in the video. 

Thanks. I already have tons of terra cotta caves. I went on a terra cotta binge last year 🤣

These guys do not mouth brood though they do do the yin/yang. They drop eggs straight down. 

• Like 1

I am creating my own line of glamed up designer mystery snails 🤣. “I” as in my nerites are. It seems baby mystery snails are the ideal place to lay eggs. One even laid eggs on the operculum of a white wizard. 
Meet spot and dot showing off their new hot fashions 

AC4C9850-552A-46AC-8A4B-52F268BDC767.jpeg

A4CB1F6F-5C45-4A7B-9D2E-D16E45BE86A4.jpeg

• Haha 3
  • Love 2

On 8/23/2022 at 9:49 AM, Minanora said:

Awesome that you found a source for your new fish! I love all of the updates! Plants are looking fabulous as well! Perfect to accent your bedazzled designer mystery snails. 😜

This morning I found Ziggy bedazzled also. I’m assuming this is happening due to lack of hard scape. So I threw in a chunk of manzanita and a food dish. In the other tanks the nerites seem to restrict themselves to food dishes and lily bulbs. 
Some little girl in that tank is a very happy camper. 🤣

F593F2E0-EE80-4C07-864A-140F55C86189.jpeg

D156AA3D-215D-45CA-B37A-A0416914ECD1.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

On 8/23/2022 at 9:11 AM, Guppysnail said:

This morning I found Ziggy bedazzled also. I’m assuming this is happening due to lack of hard scape. So I threw in a chunk of manzanita and a food dish. In the other tanks the nerites seem to restrict themselves to food dishes and lily bulbs. 

Really seems very appropriate that Ziggy is bedazzled.  I’d say that’s a good choice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/23/2022 at 10:11 AM, Guppysnail said:

I took out all of the wood in my 29 and it's just all plants and a rock cave now. Better watch out for the nerite to see if he trys to design the 2 mysteries in there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

THE BIG REVEAL

SCARLET BADIS

It looks like I may have 1 female and 7 male. One has zero red and is all grey. So I may have hit the jackpot.
Fingers crossed 🤞🏻 

They were funny when I put them in their forever home. I figured they would disappear so I took video in the specimen transfer container. They did not disappear. They hung about them promptly started staking territory. Only the potential female disappeared. 
The one boy decided the anubias up front was his. Defended it against playful juvenile pandas. Then realized that is the pandas favorite spot to play so took the little swords in the other front corner. Then they started hunting. Very cool not shy. One even swam in and out of the holes I made in the log. 😁 Very busy fish  6B2686FC-B11C-4B61-A81F-44C1C09E943D.jpeg.3fb4dc3f115dbf313ab5f7403ed87efc.jpeg

I am moving into egg laying fish so want to keep my bladder snails to a minimum  I never have a lot but enough I seen them scarf Pygmy eggs  I got 4 assassin snails and placed 1in 4 separate tanks  very fun to watch.  I like them 🥰

HAPPY ADVENTURES…TRY SOMETHING NEW 

A94D486A-B68D-49EA-9F15-B255AF18CF5D.jpeg

4D833FAF-B42A-434E-B702-500F1700AED5.jpeg

51D6C924-C6C8-4291-AA89-BA5B272DE0AB.jpeg

E9E81CC7-09B2-4F50-8A1A-BAF3DE694BC1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 5

On 8/23/2022 at 4:35 PM, Guppysnail said:

THE BIG REVEAL

SCARLET BADIS

It looks like I may have 1 female and 7 male. One has zero red and is all grey. So I may have hit the jackpot.
Fingers crossed 🤞🏻 

They were funny when I put them in their forever home. I figured they would disappear so I took video in the specimen transfer container. They did not disappear. They hung about them promptly started staking territory. Only the potential female disappeared. 
The one boy decided the anubias up front was his. Defended it against playful juvenile pandas. Then realized that is the pandas favorite spot to play so took the little swords in the other front corner. Then they started hunting. Very cool not shy. One even swam in and out of the holes I made in the log. 😁 Very busy fish  6B2686FC-B11C-4B61-A81F-44C1C09E943D.jpeg.3fb4dc3f115dbf313ab5f7403ed87efc.jpeg

I am moving into egg laying fish so want to keep my bladder snails to a minimum  I never have a lot but enough I seen them scarf Pygmy eggs  I got 4 assassin snails and placed 1in 4 separate tanks  very fun to watch.  I like them 🥰

HAPPY ADVENTURES…TRY SOMETHING NEW 

A94D486A-B68D-49EA-9F15-B255AF18CF5D.jpeg

4D833FAF-B42A-434E-B702-500F1700AED5.jpeg

51D6C924-C6C8-4291-AA89-BA5B272DE0AB.jpeg

E9E81CC7-09B2-4F50-8A1A-BAF3DE694BC1.jpeg

You know I may need to get one or two of those. I let my bladders get out of controll....shhhh. even just one for the Cory tank for when I get those to start laying eggs...have to see where I can get one at

• Love 1

I got 4 assassin snails

Those assassins will also eat Pygmy eggs. The assassins are pretty snails.

SCARLET BADIS

Very cool!   You will love cichlids!  They’ve got great personality and love swim throughs and tunnels! Be very careful to check ANYTHING you remove from the tank, especially when redecorating. Eggs might be on things and you won’t even realize it. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2022 at 5:02 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Those assassins will also eat Pygmy eggs.

Yup. That is why I only put one in the tank. One assassin can’t get to 20 eggs as fast as a group of bladders…I hope 🤞🏻

If nothing else I get to try a new snail. I think the bladders know predators are in the tank. I rarely see them on plants and glass. They burrow the substrate mostly. 

The 4 tanks I added assassins bladder snail on glass and plants much more than I normally see. They high tailed up within hours of adding the assassins.