Curious of how you all came up with your usernames!

FishPlanet

I decided on mine because for some reason the aquarium hobby is terrible at getting Latin binomials correct.  In any other hobby I've been involved with they have managed to handle the two basic rules for Latin binomials - Genus species (that is the genus is capitalized and the following species epithet is not, second rule being that Latin names are italicized).  So, I decided my name would be a public service announcement for science.  🤪   Nerdy, I know. 

Edited by OnlyGenusCaps
my poor typing and autocorrect got me
  • Like 11
  • Haha 4

I got really frustrated a long time ago trying to get a username and this got plucked out of thin air, bit annoyed I spelt it wrong but it's my go to user name now.

Flumps were a children's animated (probably Northern UK only) series back in the distant past. 

https://youtu.be/5Wh64XSkwwM

Edited by Flumpweesel
Link added
  • Like 9

Streetwise came from cyberpunk literature for me, indicating being able to survive in challenging conditions. I grew up on a dirt road in Vermont, but I managed to survive in NYC for a while. I tested myself in city life, and learned the system.

I used Streetwise as the name for my indoor soccer team, and then for each sailboat I raced. I survived a sailing accident, so I am streetwise on the water too.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

On 12/8/2021 at 12:19 AM, Streetwise said:

Streetwise came from cyberpunk literature

Hadn't made that link and I love the cyberpunk genre I was hooked as soon as I'd read neuromancer.

You obviously picked a name that has served you well.

On 12/7/2021 at 11:20 PM, lefty o said:

ive been called lefty for on and off 50 years, and my last name starts with an O. fairly simplistic.

So left handed or is it a red herring?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

During a challenging time in life, I would play this Youtube video as background sound in order to change the energy in the room and in my head. The combination of pine trees in the wind and random low notes did the trick. The video has 18K views. Probably about 15K are me 🙂 :

• Like 8
  • Love 3

I collect retro video games, and the Czarista and I sold games and retro themed crafts at conventions for several years.  The Game Czar where the Games Are was our title (and slogan) so I started using this name to promote the business. 
Covid kinda killed the whole convention circuit, so now I just collect stuff for me and not to sell, but the name stuck.

Here's a pic of me and our setup at one of our conventions. 

77185877_1532891146848921_136348495635283968_n.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 4

When I was born, I was the tail end of the Linda generation.  One year in grade school, there were four Lindas in my class and that was the start of my being called by name and initial of last name.  It stuck and got run together in high school, and that's even considering the dozen moves we made after that.  The 53 is the year I was born.  There are probably still a few people who would call me Lindabee if they saw me.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

On 12/7/2021 at 6:27 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Hadn't made that link and I love the cyberpunk genre I was hooked as soon as I'd read neuromancer.

You obviously picked a name that has served you well.

So left handed or is it a red herring?

left handed!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've split time between living above and below the Mason Dixon line growing up on the east coast. When I moved from my native Virginia to Delaware, I got teased a lot for my accent, which they thought sounded like an Andy Griffith Show character (in truth I grew up within an hour of where the show is set). 

I return a year later to visit, and my VA friends said I now sounded "like a yankee" and got teased again. Even as the DE kids still thought I sounded southern. 

As an adult I've covered a good bit of the Atlantic states, but the last few in the beautiful mountains in northern Georgia.  My name is my phonetic spelling of how my northern friends say my home state when they think they are being southern (kinda like Brian Kelly at his first LSU appearance last weekend). Grrl goes back the the earliest days of the internet when my various online monikers has this attached to them because it was the 90s 🤪

Edited by Jawjagrrl
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

I’ve always been a nerd and rather outside the group and a tech called me an “odd duck”.  Then I got a jetski that looked rather like a duck that everyone took to calling “The Duck”.  When on line forums got more popular, I picked it because it fits me.  Pic of not quite finished paint job on the current jetski, not the old one although we still have it and one day will be fixing it up after additional hotrodding is finished.  Might even put a custom paint job on it then.

972A738B-7BC0-442E-8A93-FAC2073350E4.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
Switch pics
  • Like 9
  • Love 2

On 12/7/2021 at 9:40 PM, GameCzar said:

I collect retro video games, and the Czarista and I sold games and retro themed crafts at conventions for several years.  The Game Czar where the Games Are was our title (and slogan) so I started using this name to promote the business. 
Covid kinda killed the whole convention circuit, so now I just collect stuff for me and not to sell, but the name stuck.

I am sorry COVID has put a damper on this fun. Ms Pacman was my addiction way back when. The days!

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2021 at 8:40 PM, GameCzar said:

I chose my username because what else would the wife of the Czar be called?  Lol

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

I'm terrible at thinking up user names for forums or games. I'm a big nerd and I usually run with a dual boot windows 10/Arch Linux setup. Sudo is a command used in Linux to run a command that requires admin privileges. Soo I cleverly combined sudo with fish (since this is a fish forum). See what I did there?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2