Feeding Mystery Snails

Beccs410

Ok, so I just adopted my very first Golden Mystery Snail for my 14 gallon tank. His name is Cuzco, and he's a little cutie pie. My question is, what does everyone feed their mystery snails?? I've given him Hikari Algae Wafers, which he seems to really like. I've tried blanched spinach, but he doesn't seem too interested in it. I've tried Super Green, Soilent Green and Bottom Scratcher Repashy...all of which weren't touched. Lots of algae naturally growing on a piece of spider wood and on top of a little ceramic pleco cave. I know I need to get him something rich in calcium, too. He's only been in the tank for about a week, so it may be that he's still shy. My Amano shrimp like to run to anything I drop in the tank, too. So, any suggestions for some noms? What do your mystery snails enjoy?

Cuzco.jpg.d52091fb981c9e28ee9e8d3995e08540.jpg

Cuzco on his algae wafer

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Hi @Beccs410. Mine like the Hikari algae wafers, seem to enjoy the Xtreme cat scraper wafers. Shrimp foods are good for them because they're usually high in calcium. I've bought homemade foods from online sellers (Etsy) that have been successful (including snello but mine don't touch the stuff). Try any veggie you can- I've learned they can be pretty picky- in fact my Mystery snails don't really eat any of them- though they will nibble at English Cucumbers every now and then. They're individuals- so what one likes- others don't. There are lots of snail keepers here I'm sure you'll get more answers! I think contrary to popular belief they aren't really great algae eaters. My tanks were a lot cleaner after I added Nerites so I only keep Mystery snails in one of my 5 tanks and have Nerites in the others! 🙂 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
to clarify
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@xXInkedPhoenixX Thank you! Yeah, my Nerite in my 10 gallon is an algae eating monster. It’s why I named him Roomba haha. I got Cuzco because I thought he was so pretty and cute. My Amano shrimp are my algae eaters for the 14. I have some Shrimp King 5 leaf shrimp pellets so I will give that a shot! I haven’t seen him go for the Hikari bottom feeder tablets or the Sera Pleco wafers. I love Xtreme’s Betta pellets so I’ll have to give the cat scraper wafers!! My corys will probably love those too. I’ve tried zucchini, was a no go as well. I’ll keep trying other veggies!

@RyanUawesome! I’ll have to give that a shot! Thanks! 

Ha! Yeah, Mystery snails are a joy to have in the tank, but they're (IMO) adorable little food snobs. 

Nerites are indeed little Roombas and I've used that exact term when I've mentioned them before. They have just as much personality but are so much smaller than their Mystery snail counterparts it's like playing Where's Waldo with them every day. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/26/2021 at 6:35 PM, cleoismyspiritanimal said:

Mine also love Hikari Crab Cuisine, like GameCzar and xXInkedPhoenixX above.  They also go crazy for green beans which is their Friday night treat.

Green beans was the next one I was going to try! And I’ll definitely add Crab Cuisine! Once I find a veggie he likes I, too, will make it a treat for the family’s Sunday “Cheat Day”! 

• Like 1

Congratulations on your new family member. Veggies my snails have eaten in order of preference I wash in hot water then steam you can also blanch microwave or use no salt added canned but the canned are messier and foul water more. 
green beans, baby carrots, broccoli stalk do not use the floret it’s makes a huge mess, any color bell pepper, sweet potato, kale, cucumber, zucchini, romaine lettuce, Brussels spouts very lightly steamed or they are messy. Each of my 14 have their own unique preferences.  
mystery snails are social. It is fine for them alone but they will be much more active with a friend. Here is Caramel from that thread a few days ago he loves to visit if I leave the lid open little rascal. Omega one veggie round wafers are his favorite my brats of course each prefer different commercial foods but eat most. I also add api or Kent’s liquid calcium to the repashy I make.  Wondershells are great too.2E890A1C-45F5-4E2A-9CD9-CA0BB6B48D5C.jpeg.ad70c05211a7e58e142a23e4e642a69b.jpeg8D7F14FC-3F7A-4694-9D3D-B9034837FD8C.jpeg.e38e6c474db1a3dda789207146a0460b.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 4

On 9/27/2021 at 5:12 AM, Guppysnail said:

Congratulations on your new family member. Veggies my snails have eaten in order of preference I wash in hot water then steam you can also blanch microwave or use no salt added canned but the canned are messier and foul water more. 
green beans, baby carrots, broccoli stalk do not use the floret it’s makes a huge mess, any color bell pepper, sweet potato, kale, cucumber, zucchini, romaine lettuce, Brussels spouts very lightly steamed or they are messy. Each of my 14 have their own unique preferences.  
mystery snails are social. It is fine for them alone but they will be much more active with a friend. Here is Caramel from that thread a few days ago he loves to visit if I leave the lid open little rascal. Omega one veggie round wafers are his favorite my brats of course each prefer different commercial foods but eat most. I also add api or Kent’s liquid calcium to the repashy I make.  Wondershells are great too.2E890A1C-45F5-4E2A-9CD9-CA0BB6B48D5C.jpeg.ad70c05211a7e58e142a23e4e642a69b.jpeg8D7F14FC-3F7A-4694-9D3D-B9034837FD8C.jpeg.e38e6c474db1a3dda789207146a0460b.jpeg

Holy Moses...thats one huge snail!

• Haha 1

On 9/27/2021 at 5:12 AM, Guppysnail said:

Are you sure you have a mystery snail. I looks like a type of wild apple snail. There are a few things that stand out. It really doesn’t matter as long as you don’t throw them in the local creeks. Here’s my apple snail. It’s one of thought things were all mystery snails are apple snails but not all apple snails are mystery snails even if you don’t know the species. It makes no really difference if you. Some apple snail will eat and thing they can and others or like mystery snails. I often here my mystery snail eats all my plants. First thing I thing of is people were sold mislabeled mystery snails, or what this post is about is feeding the mystery snail. I think I posted I don’t feed my mystery snails, and a dont really but they live in heathy tanks that often have extra fish food. Natures clean up of dead plant material. There is more but I don’t want to make is longer.

0FA60AA7-D5A1-42DE-89FC-C11EE36D06CF.jpeg

7A15AFFD-7ECA-4D1F-A6D0-191CCF31BD7F.jpeg

I had a 250 gal native tank which was just what I could set from the canal across the street there are not any Native apples snails in my area but these big boys are every were. I have shells 3-4 x larger. They eat any thing they can. My native tank ended up with an Oscar, Midas cichlid, Mayan, a small Bule Gill. Hydrilla, Water Hyacinth, and water Lettuce. Not so native but my kids have never known the difference.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thank you for all of the great responses everyone!!! @Guppysnail welp, guess I’ll just have to go back and get a buddy for Cuzco…twist my arm 😆 The funny thing is I used to HATE snails. Then I tried a Nerite for my 10 gallon and thought he was too cute for words. That lead me to get some Malaysian Trumpets to churn my substrate and I love them, too. So, I decided my 14 gallon needed a snail buddy and found out Golden Mystery Snails hail from South America, keeping with my Amazonian theme. So, out I went to get Cuzco and now I’m totally in love with mysteries. 🥰 @GameCzar Fred is adorable! Hi Fred! 

• Love 2