What music are you listening to these days?

OnlyGenusCaps

This song always reminds me of a character from my youth - Nick.  Even as a kid I knew something was bad in his life.  When I was 13, I met his daughter one time as she was trying to get him up off the tracks before the train came.  I'll never forget the helpless in her eyes, not just about the situation, but about the whole trajectory.  Don't quite know why, but I've been thinking about Nick recently.  Pretty sure he went not long after the train track incident.  Do you ever look at people and wonder what their life story is?  I do.  Sometimes just people I pass on the street for no reason.  You can never know another's life.  Not fully.  But our paths crossed.  It's like the old Norse concept of "urð" (don't use the Wikipedia article to go off of, it's just about the norn anyhow, not the prechristian worldview).  The fibers of our lives weave us together, but not forever. 

Anyhow, here is Frank Zappa (Also, I learned from this album cover that Mr. Zappa apparently dressed to the left - made you look! 🤣😞

• Like 4
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, OnlyGenusCaps said:

What's your golden-brown?  I like a nice Scotch whisky from time to time.  Sure, it's less edgy than the topic of the song, but you know what, I'm okay with that.

English breakfast tea. It’s my evening day complete now it’s me time thing.  If I’m blue I drink it and it’s so peaceful. Oddly though I never drink it with breakfast. I’m a  joe addict. 

• Like 1

Oh this is lovely to see all the great stuff people are listening to! 
Jason Isbell’s new album is Weathervanes and I really love the feel of the record! 

And while I’m on this country or Southern fried side of things I’d be remiss if I didn’t lay this out especially on a holiday weekend in the US of A. 

And as I’m really loving this cover

Also if you haven’t seen this new boxed set of Eric Clapton’s The Definitive 24 Nights I’d highly recommend it. 

We were supposed to be at The Gorge Amphitheater for Brandi Carlisle, The Highwomen and Tanya Tucker but well we all got COVID so I had to spend the weekend on YouTube so here’s the best of  what’s on YT

Have a great day and have fun!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/1/2023 at 8:20 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

What do I love about YouTube?  It is at once a source of high quality documentary, a means to access cultural content, or to watch big budget movies.  It gives us access to ideas, and escape, all with the click of a button.  In short, it has become a video platform that fulfills what the early internet promised - a lens through which to view the entirety of humanity.  As long as you don't read the comments section!

But I think part of me will always love that it is also in tucked away corners, always going to be what cable access TV was to the 1980's and 1990's.  Quirky, unique perspectives that will never find a broad audience, but still reflect the true panoply of humanity's experience.

Perhaps, this is all a big fluffy intro to explain that I sometimes enjoy the off-beat.  And with that, I give you "Stairway to Gilligan's Island" by Puddles Pity Party.

God I love Puddles!!! Very odd, but very unique and talented individual!

On 5/1/2023 at 8:37 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Monday:

Had such a crush on her when I was young!

On 6/15/2023 at 11:23 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

This song always reminds me of a character from my youth - Nick.  Even as a kid I knew something was bad in his life.  When I was 13, I met his daughter one time as she was trying to get him up off the tracks before the train came.  I'll never forget the helpless in her eyes, not just about the situation, but about the whole trajectory.  Don't quite know why, but I've been thinking about Nick recently.  Pretty sure he went not long after the train track incident.  Do you ever look at people and wonder what their life story is?  I do.  Sometimes just people I pass on the street for no reason.  You can never know another's life.  Not fully.  But our paths crossed.  It's like the old Norse concept of "urð" (don't use the Wikipedia article to go off of, it's just about the norn anyhow, not the prechristian worldview).  The fibers of our lives weave us together, but not forever. 

Anyhow, here is Frank Zappa (Also, I learned from this album cover that Mr. Zappa apparently dressed to the left - made you look! 🤣😞

Zoot Allures!

Man you have the best taste!  Very eclectic, but spot on good!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have been playing bass guitar for quite a long time now. The late, great, legendary Squire has always been a personal hero of mine. He and Bill Bruford on drums are a magic combination that can never be replicated or imitated.  Obviously, they have some better known classics together with Yes like "Heart of the Sunrise" and "Close to the Edge", but this solo effort by Squire showcases what a great and melodic bass player he was. He doesn't just hold down the bottom like most bass players, he was driving force for each song's overall melody in a way that never appears showy or in your face. It's all just such subtle complexity that its easy to overlook his specific genius. There are and will be many great bass players over time, but there will never be another Chris Squire.

Edited by tolstoy21