What music are you listening to these days?

OnlyGenusCaps

On 1/19/2023 at 1:00 PM, JettsPapa said:

I like Brian Burns, Charlie Robison, and Wayne Hancock also (though Wayne Hancock may be too much old-school for some people).

And then there's Ray Wylie Hubbard, who's still going strong.

Edit:  Chris Knight is another good one.

I mentioned Brian Burns above.  Here's one of my favorites of his.

• Love 1

On 1/19/2023 at 1:00 PM, JettsPapa said:

I like Brian Burns, Charlie Robison, and Wayne Hancock also (though Wayne Hancock may be too much old-school for some people).

And then there's Ray Wylie Hubbard, who's still going strong.

Edit:  Chris Knight is another good one.

Here's another good Chris Knight song (I like songs that tell stories).

On 2/6/2023 at 9:04 PM, lefty o said:

I ran across an article online this morning that claimed to be the "definitive" list of the top 15 country music artists.  It had George Strait at #1, followed by Johnny Cash and George Jones.  I couldn't argue with those, but they went sideways after that.  I think Hank Williams was at #7.  He should definitely have been in the top 5, and I wouldn't have faulted them for putting him at #1.

They had a number of them that I thought were questionable, but Waylon Jennings didn't even make the list, which I felt was inexcusable.

On 2/7/2023 at 7:35 AM, JettsPapa said:

I ran across an article online this morning that claimed to be the "definitive" list of the top 15 country music artists.  It had George Strait at #1, followed by Johnny Cash and George Jones.  I couldn't argue with those, but they went sideways after that.  I think Hank Williams was at #7.  He should definitely have been in the top 5, and I wouldn't have faulted them for putting him at #1.

They had a number of them that I thought were questionable, but Waylon Jennings didn't even make the list, which I felt was inexcusable.

a list of top country singers that doesnt have Waylon on it, is a list of junk.

• Like 1

My favorite band of all time is Clutch, a 4 piece from Maryland that sing about everything from dredging John Wilkes Booth's body from the river to a literal recipe for Crab Cakes. It's all sandwiched between some juicy bluesy riffs or hardcore yelling, depending on the era. I cannot say enough good things about them.

Recently started listening to a band called Animals As Leaders because I love prog rock and virtuoso musicians and this band is an endless font of creativity and talent. They don't have lyrics and their style is in the vein of Dream Theater but less "produced" and more raw sounding.

These are just two of my current favorites but that changes all the time. Great thread idea!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 2/14/2023 at 7:58 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Okay my SO’s friend is from Maine and she sang the crab cakes song at karaoke night. All us PNW people were bewildered! But have to admit it was catchy.

It must be a small world over there on the East Coast lol

It is, part of the reason I moved out west! The band is fantastic though, they have such a good mix of goofy and serious songs and the music is just so groovy.

• Like 2