What music are you listening to these days?

OnlyGenusCaps

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 9:18 PM, Fish Folk said:

Playing a new chess opening online tonight. Listening to Bach Cello Suites. Yo Yo Ma is my spirit animal in the background. (Unless it's the Knight in my Chess match that's my spirit animal 🤔 🐴)

I play the cello and am a fellow Bach fan! I haven't recorded any of Bach's cello suites, but I do have a performance of the first movement of Brandenburg Concerto No. 2. Albeit I am playing recorder on this one instead of cello - we had no flute player, so I had to fill in!

• Like 2

On 10/27/2023 at 12:58 AM, CorydorasEthan said:

I play the cello and am a fellow Bach fan! I haven't recorded any of Bach's cello suites, but I do have a performance of the first movement of Brandenburg Concerto No. 2. Albeit I am playing recorder on this one instead of cello - we had no flute player, so I had to fill in!

Very challenging! Nicely managed there. I'd have been a long, long while working that up to play on recorder. I think the balance was excellent, and the recorder sounded quite period-appropriate. Those violin unisons are brutal if not precisely together. Definitely a favorite piece of mine.

Now you have got me on a cello kick. We might not like all of these cello pieces... but I'll select a few that I dig. Let me find some...

1. Astor Piazzolla - Oblivion (setting for Cello and orchestra)

2. Heitor Villa-Lobos - Bachianas Brazilieras No. 1 (International Cello Academy)

3. Eric Whitacre - The River Cam (BBC Proms, Cello and orchestra)

I've composed a few pieces for Cello if you're interested in reading some different stuff. Nothing really good, but if you have a good pianist, or a Pianist and Clarinetist. Some of it is very challenging. Tonal, but a slight bit on the jazzy side. Send me a PM if you want scores. I can fish them out from somewhere. A lifetime ago, I got my master's in Music Composition. 

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Im listening to punk, 90's alternative tock, indie rock, post punk, etc.

Bands/Artists like: Blur, Gorillaz, Tame impala, Taking Back Sunday, The Strokes, and Paramore, along with the occasional 'The Beaches' song. 

On 10/27/2023 at 12:56 PM, Tanked said:

For almost all of the 47 years the show has been done, this was the exit music for the WEBN fireworks every Labor Day on the Ohio River. It always seemed to be very appropriate.

I learned how to play the bassline and melody for Smoke on the Water on guitar.

Edited by Kaiju

On 11/16/2023 at 11:03 PM, Kaiju said:

Im listening to punk, 90's alternative tock, indie rock, post punk, etc.

Bands/Artists like: Blur, Gorillaz, Tame impala, Taking Back Sunday, The Strokes, and Paramore, along with the occasional 'The Beaches' song. 

I learned how to play the bassline and melody for Smoke on the Water on guitar.

That baseline is the best part of the the song.

@lefty o seems to like a whole lotta country. I personally again, like the Punk and Alternative stuff along with some indie/chillwave rock and grunge. I usually listen to Blur, Gorillaz, Nirvana, Tame impala, Taking Back Sunday, The Strokes, and Paramore, along with the occasional 'The Beaches' song. I definitely will try these out though! 

Edited by Kaiju
I forgot to mention Nirvana...