What music are you listening to these days?

OnlyGenusCaps

On 5/13/2023 at 9:45 PM, lefty o said:

time for some mothers day specials!

The first one - unlistenable.  But the second is perhaps the only Merle Haggard song I can deal with.  Even though his an Okie (BTW, growing up where I did in CA, we called still called "rednecks" "okies" until Jeff Foxworthy came around and killed that regional slur).  Also, because of my Nordic background I thought his last name was pronounced "Hagoord" (Haggård) until I was far older than I want to admit.  🤣

As I age, I am worried that my kids will feel like this about me.  Not exactly a real song, but definitely a feeling (one I couldn't escape driving in traffic tonight with the windows down listening to my music on full, as I looked through the rear-view and saw myself as just another car in the line):

• Haha 2

On 5/18/2023 at 8:54 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

The first one - unlistenable.  But the second is perhaps the only Merle Haggard song I can deal with. 

I'm guessing you just don't like country music.  I don't understand that, since Cody Jinks and Merle Haggard are two of my favorites, but I won't judge.  However, please try this one to see if it can change your mind; at least about Cody Jinks, if not country in general.  And please pay attention to the lyrics; don't dismiss it because it's country.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2023 at 6:30 AM, JettsPapa said:

I'm guessing you just don't like country music.  I don't understand that, since Cody Jinks and Merle Haggard are two of my favorites, but I won't judge.  However, please try this one to see if it can change your mind; at least about Cody Jinks, if not country in general.  And please pay attention to the lyrics; don't dismiss it because it's country.

I like Country music just fine but it can be depressing at times. So when I am happy and just want to bounce around cleaning fish tanks I listen to the classics I grew up with besides what is more appropriate than Morrison's Cleaning windows!

On 5/19/2023 at 9:59 AM, ktk4beees said:

I like Country music just fine but it can be depressing at times. So when I am happy and just want to bounce around cleaning fish tanks I listen to the classics I grew up with besides what is more appropriate than Morrison's Cleaning windows!

Then I guess I recommended exactly the wrong song.  How about this one? (It's not my cup of tea, but you might like it.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2023 at 9:48 AM, JettsPapa said:

Then I guess I recommended exactly the wrong song.  How about this one? (It's not my cup of tea, but you might like it.)

Hey, I didn't say that I did not like country music, just love variety. I was cleaning "windows" (fish tanks) so I thought of Van Morrison.  I am a country girl at heart and use to be able to Two Step or Country Swing with the best of them. I live where the cows outnumber the humans and our rendition of a traffic jam is when they herd the stock down the highway. I also can do tooling for Saddles, and make a crowd pleasing Tiramisu. So Variety in all things even fish is not a bad thing.

On 5/19/2023 at 2:45 PM, ktk4beees said:

Hey, I didn't say that I did not like country music, just love variety. I was cleaning "windows" (fish tanks) so I thought of Van Morrison.  I am a country girl at heart and use to be able to Two Step or Country Swing with the best of them. I live where the cows outnumber the humans and our rendition of a traffic jam is when they herd the stock down the highway. I also can do tooling for Saddles, and make a crowd pleasing Tiramisu. So Variety in all things even fish is not a bad thing.

PS Not really my cups of tea on the last one either.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 3:45 PM, ktk4beees said:

PS Not really my cups of tea on the last one either.

I misunderstood everything (not an uncommon occurrence).  I like variety myself, especially in music (the screenshots below show the mix I listen to on Pandora all day at work).

I've also worn out quit a bit of boot leather two-stepping in dance halls in southeast Texas back in the early to mid '80's.  I never danced much to western swing, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it.  You'll notice there's a Bob Wills station in the bottom screenshot.

And while we don't often have cattle being herded down the road (though I've done it a few times), I'm pretty sure cows outnumber people in my county also.  The only reason they don't outnumber humans on my property is because I moved them all to a rent pasture a few weeks ago.

A traffic jam here is when someone drives by while I'm parked on the wrong side of the road checking my mailbox.

image.png.8cc5dbfe17c133c05d5aa25e2864ef0a.png

image.png.3e354f656db27a174f9b04b138293a41.png

image.png.48b77a19cbdadc5c46f45e18fe6b2b40.png

Edited by JettsPapa
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 3:07 PM, JettsPapa said:

I misunderstood everything (not an uncommon occurrence).  I like variety myself, especially in music (the screenshots below show the mix I listen to on Pandora all day at work).

I've also worn out quit a bit of boot leather two-stepping in dance halls in southeast Texas back in the early to mid '80's.  I never danced much to western swing, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it.  You'll notice there's a Bob Wills station in the bottom screenshot.

And while we don't often have cattle being herded down the road (though I've done it a few times), I'm pretty sure cows outnumber people in my county also.  The only reason they don't outnumber humans on my property is because I moved them all to a rent pasture a few weeks ago.

A traffic jam here is when someone drives by while I'm parked on the wrong side of the road checking my mailbox.

On 5/19/2023 at 3:07 PM, JettsPapa said:

OK made me laugh. They finally moved out streets "gang" mails box back some and put a turn out area in because cars were in the way of the cattle. So, I get it. Thanks for the laugh.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 7:30 AM, JettsPapa said:

I'm guessing you just don't like country music.

Guilty as charged.  I like a lot of different music but I can't really do country or hip-hop/rap.  I can handle some western music like Marty Robins or Gene Autry.  But I wrote that because I was teasing Lefty-O a little.  He's made some snarky comments on my posts here over the years that have made me laugh.  I try to return the return the favor once in a while.  🥸

On 5/19/2023 at 7:30 AM, JettsPapa said:

However, please try this one to see if it can change your mind

So, for you, I listened the the entire thing.  Although, it took me about 4 seconds to know it was not going to work for me, and about 20 second to confirm I was not going to enjoy this song.  The lyrics are fine.  I mean they feel like they were written by Euripides.  But all genres of music have lyrics that deal with tragedy; it's the style of the music that I think we connect with.  Or don't. 

Here's some downer punk songs for you:

That one is actually known for stopping people from following through with the subject of the song, so maybe not so bad in its outcome.  Apparently, something about the line with apple juice and giving his mom a message. 

Here is another one that has some pretty sad lyrics:

That one gets me.  Possibly because I know a "Kristy".  But there is still hope in this song.

This one also is a hopeful view of the future from a bad situation:

I know a girl who was strong enough to do just this.   But, now, knowing what she went though, this one hits too.

The lyrics are meaningful, but the vehicle for their delivery is just more palatable for me.  That's all.  This style may not be for you, just as I don't connect with the sound of country.  But that's okay.  Choice is a wonderful thing! 

• Like 3

@Guppysnail, I love Bowie's Ziggy period. That video you cited is the final concert of The Spiders from Mars at MSG. And it's awesome too. Bowie said after that show, "I'm tired of looking like a carrot" and never wore his red hair again. 

Another earlier "Spiders' show that is just amazing is an episode of "The Midnight Special" and is known as "The 1980 Floor Show". The choreography was amazing as he has the dancers spell out titles with their bodies. There are some amazing interpretations of classics in this show like a 1984/Dodo medley where the drumming is pure thunder. And a version of Space Oddity I think is by far the best he's ever done. 

The drummer, Aynsley Dunbar was actually the first choice by Robert Plant for his new band, Led Zeppelin. Aynsley Dunbar's soon left as he felt 'Led Zeppelin would never go anywhere'! Ouch that's gotta hurt.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I saw Sparks live in Liverpool the other week and I have since been investigating what they have been doing since the town wasn't big enough for both of them.  And it turns out a lot and they are a phenomenal live act.  It was a gig that surpassed expectations.

And never has a crowd got so excited about a man removing a cardigan.