Show Your Garden Pics

Patrick_G

Tomorrow marks year #3 for my planted tank.  It is a continuous battle.  The back yard is a different story.  The pond takes care of itself.  I only need to watch out for volunteers from the neighbors yards and trim the Ivy.

Garden.jpg.de2334117ea426c40efc3b376d25d877.jpg

1827782591_FourOClock.jpg.046e3348a8c857500c7881e83c1fa5da.jpg

I bought and promptly lost a peppermint plant intended for tea this winter.  I dropped the presumably dead plant in the pond.  You thought duckweed was invasive, this stuff grows underwater

1932324731_MINT(2).jpg.07b822d807a59c52e75413e99c2f3359.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

It got down to 4° F here in February, and I thought it had killed my Sinaloa salvia (Salvia sinaloensis).  A few weeks ago I was happy to discover a few shoots coming up, and now it's finally blooming.  The plant as a whole still looks pretty ragged, but here's a picture of a portion of it.  I really like the color of the flowers.  They have less purple than most salvias.

image.png.fd796748351591d412b7aebee1461a89.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love everything about every page of this thread! Except the cabbage moth catapillars... demons dressed as beautiful white fluttery flappers. Then they lay eggs and ruin all the things! Curse you cabbage moths! I still didn't even use BT in my garden this year... I should have.

I have a backyard orchard that I prune and tend. Four raised beds, and two ground level plots. I have grapes, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, plums, pluots, nectarines, peaches, apricots, apples, pears and hops. I preserve all most all of my foods that I grow. And i have a bee garden in the back corner that brings me joy year round. These photos are from May, but once I get out and clean up all the weeds that have invaded I will post updated photos of my bee garden. It finally rained here so I can actually pull the weeds instead of scrape them.PXL_20210518_190245061.jpg.7b954c39d98aa7aa2c7e0ba3b75fcc1e.jpgPXL_20210518_185900869_MP.jpg.c0c00a484ee7113170cd5fbed3850ba9.jpgPXL_20210518_185945844.jpg.f692caa10b88713b32cde8a67e9c0519.jpgPXL_20210518_185928541.jpg.bd9bc6baf0d68cf58ee204790a3a1585.jpgPXL_20210518_185952761.jpg.9a91c291be57b6c2e7eee23e8c0c6c90.jpg

• Like 2

Wow this is an incredible thread. I have never given my green thumbs a chance, however recently I picked up the smallest, skimpiest Venus Fly Trap. I wish I had a before and after photo because it has grown a ton compared to how it arrived in my care. All I do is give it good old Florida sun and aquarium water. In no way is this a comparison to the gorgeous plants and gardens previously posted, however it’s the best I’ve got. 😎

197724E3-5EC0-4D5C-9439-3CC5122B85C0.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 11/6/2021 at 9:59 AM, Manny said:

Wow this is an incredible thread. I have never given my green thumbs a chance, however recently I picked up the smallest, skimpiest Venus Fly Trap. I wish I had a before and after photo because it has grown a ton compared to how it arrived in my care. All I do is give it good old Florida sun and aquarium water. In no way is this a comparison to the gorgeous plants and gardens previously posted, however it’s the best I’ve got. 😎

197724E3-5EC0-4D5C-9439-3CC5122B85C0.jpeg

I just got a Venus flytrap a few weeks ago. I totally expected it to die, but it’s doing A-ok! It’s not thriving like yours but I think it’ll get there. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We brought these Elephant ear pots inside after the frost killed all the leaves about 6 weeks ago.  We have been watering them with the w3ater from cleaning the sponge filters.  They are taking over the living room.  I shudder to think what they will look like in May when we can put them back outside. The 4 pots are up on short stools so we can have other plants under them. the empty water bottles in the pots are to keep the cats from playing in the dirt. The dark green if from the fish water.1350041947_Elephantears.jpg.a9c0efeee853474f357f26c3114585ed.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It’s cold and we’ve had a few dusting of snow this month but I’m starting to think about gardening. 
I’d like to have a few big, single species drifts of perennials. I’m starting about 150 inside and I’ll direct sow a bunch after this cold snap. I think the direct sow plants will do fine but I’ll have the starts as backups. 

167A0FB2-C1C1-4C48-B5DE-A4C0DA5239B3.jpeg

8227A435-E1CA-4583-95C7-4D2374448945.jpeg

• Love 3

I'm getting the spring "itch" but we are still a ways out until I can get some dirt under my nails. However, I am thoroughly enjoying perusing this thread! :classic_laugh: For now, I'll focus on my sad aquarium plants and my houseplants. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 8:16 AM, AndreaW said:

I'm getting the spring "itch" but we are still a ways out until I can get some dirt under my nails. However, I am thoroughly enjoying perusing this thread! :classic_laugh: For now, I'll focus on my sad aquarium plants and my houseplants. 

Sigh, zone 8a here, we’ve been having some cold snaps and this week it’s near record rain. Moss, mud and mold are all that’s thriving, but this weekend’s forecast is looking better and better. 

I've been enjoying a houseplant fever while I'm waiting to go outside and plant. Zone 7a/7b cusp in South Jersey, and the weather is already starting to warm; it makes me nervous, because in previous years, warming this early would mean a late cold snap in April. It's making me gun-shy to start planting despite a 70 degree day in the forecast this Sunday!

Aside from that, the soil in our yard is really exceptional for growing. We have a small peach tree that should be getting into its fruit-bearing years quite soon, and I'm looking into adding some more fruit trees and bushes for a mini fruit harvest in our backyard.

• Like 2

@Patrick_G I love that we have a variety of growing environments. I have an appreciation for all of them. I don't think I would know what to do with a coastal rainforest!

@laritheloud ~ Peaches are the best! We have a little tree that gave us a huge crop 2 years ago. My son was eating peaches for every meal! Last year it grew one big, beautiful peach, but when we picked it, the bugs had already had their fill and it sadly wasn't fit for more than bird food. Now my husband informs me we are going to build a garage which will go right where the fruit trees are... :classic_dry: I'm trying to figure out a good spot to plant some new fruit trees where nothing can be built in the future!

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 1:12 PM, AndreaW said:

I love that we have a variety of growing environments. I have an appreciation for all of them. I don't think I would know what to do with a coastal rainforest!

I do too.  I get frustrated occasionally that there are things I can't grow because it gets too hot here in the summer, but on the other hand I can have pansies blooming all winter.

• Like 2

Zone 6b, here, I have the first snowdrops blooming right now. I've ordered some plants and have my shopping list planned, but no room for indoor lights and early starting because FISH are taking up the space where I started my dahlias last year. I will live vicariously thought you, @Patrick_G. The year I grew white coneflowers from seed was one of my happiest garden outcomes ever. I hope you'll have the same luck with yours.

• Like 3

That might work! Outsmarting your geography can be part of the fun. We have heavy clay and sweltering heat, chronic overcast skies, three invasive thug species along the fencelines and dog traffic. It's sometimes feels crazy to even try, but then I go to the local garden tour and see what others can do in the same kind of soil...and hope springs eternal!

Edited by PineSong
  • Like 1