Show Your Garden Pics

Patrick_G

SO gorgeous! All of the pics in this thread. 

I have many of these species, but it isn't warm enough yet. We just finished tulip season, and the clematis and Spanish bells are blooming. I think next up might be columbine, but a lot of flowers are at least growing their leaves, getting ready. 🙂 

• Like 2

@Trish Your plants look great! The Columbine is beautiful. I tried to start some by seed this winter but had a 100% failure rate. The purple digitalis is really nice, I’m building up a mixed color patch of them and hoping for good things this year. 
I’m an island gardener too, Vashon Island in Puget Sound. It’s zone 5 but our yard has a shady cool micro climate so plants tend to start a little late. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1

@Patrick_G I try to seed the Columbine along with poppies every year.  For about 8 yrs I've been working on a "wild meadow".   Sowing what I want and pulling the dandelions, blackberries that are much stronger.  It cycles, first Forget me-nots, then pink Lychnis, followed by Columbines, foxgloves, California and other poppies.  Maybe Borage this year.   The Siberian iris that is outside my "compound" won't last long with the clod hopper elk tiptoeing through the yard!   Luckily the things they don't touch are bleeding heart, orange and yellow Welsh poppies, Rhodo's, and my favourite... Peonies.  The Welsh poppies will go all summer if they are dead headed, some consider them invasive.   Everything else has to be locked up!   While it's not pretty, this ghost town keeps them out.  The Dogwoods are in full bloom right now and I am surrounded by them.  Ah... paradise!

lychnis.jpg

61620333_2320820771570913_6428041238527606784_o.jpg

poppy time KP.jpg

poppies.jpg

_MG_5166.jpeg

Dogwood  Holmes.jpg

IMG_0582.jpeg

_MG_6824.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, Isaac M said:

I will also add some pictures of my grandpas fruit trees from this year. 

097095BF-56C5-44E4-BF50-BC6244B0BCDF.jpeg.2216e69499ff269033ec2df6a163f25e.jpeg

97CA4A5D-E234-4D84-B07A-5E4759AD4F06.jpeg.69cfbc5498d60e8ac4855164516dac1d.jpeg

B9DB912B-0138-43E0-9234-2D7A342E1703.jpeg.54a2c920b08b377fff0f3accdf5c998d.jpeg

@Isaac MWish I had a fence like that!  Wonderful fruit trees.

Your Bird of Paradise is stunning, as well as the Iron Begonia, wow! 

• Like 1

@Trish very pretty! I’m taking some notes because we apparently have similar growing zones and issues. Our property is on some folded ravines so fencing is impractical and I have to garden unprotected. Poppies, Foxglove, Salvia, are among the plants our “pet” deer won’t eat. I just learned I can add bleeding heart to the mix! This year it’s an experiment, but next year I planning on a big deer resistant shade garden. 

The top pic is Semiaquilegia Ecalcarata, it’s like a tiny Columbine. It’s rare here AF9C856C-8E01-4D59-877F-EE47B11D2FCB.jpeg.fbef230155c29dcded1f4c70efe501bd.jpegand new to me. So far it’s doing great. 

5DAD1440-CE5F-417F-A476-90BE4F37BBEC.jpeg

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

We had no deer for the first 15 yrs, all plants out in the open like yours.   Our backyard mountain was logged by the timber barons due to root rot.  The only good to come out of it, there is light for the first time... everything grew left or right before and not up haha!  

Anything considered Elk salad has to be locked up.. my ghost town compound.  Not pretty but functional, now an ancient 2x4 and stucco wire protection surrounding raised beds.  I wouldn't have a lily otherwise. :classic_unsure:  

Double Red Day Lily.jpg

Lily Close Sideview.jpg

Asian Lilies 2.jpg

_MG_4127.jpg

Orange Day Lilies.jpg

Garden 4.jpg

Garden in June 2020.JPG

• Like 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Jungle Fan said:

For this year everything is still just beginning to green, but by end of June/July we'll have tons of Broadtail, Black chinned  hummers, and all kinds of butterflies, the American Goldfinches and Western Tanagers are already back.

IMG_0988a.jpg

IMG_9744 a2-Edit.jpeg

IMG_1195a.jpg

IMG_1408a1-Edit.jpeg

IMG_2448ac-Edit.jpeg

IMG_2014.JPG

Gorgeous shot of the hummer face on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jungle Fan said:

For this year everything is still just beginning to green, but by end of June/July we'll have tons of Broadtail, Black chinned  hummers, and all kinds of butterflies, the American Goldfinches and Western Tanagers are already back.

IMG_0988a.jpg

IMG_9744 a2-Edit.jpeg

IMG_1195a.jpg

IMG_1408a1-Edit.jpeg

IMG_2448ac-Edit.jpeg

IMG_2014.JPG

Great pic of the Hummer! I think I have the Plant with the long Orange blossoms that the hummer is sipping from. It’s sort of a rarity in the Pacific Northwest. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love this thread!!!  Everyone has such beautiful gardens!

This is what's blooming in my very humble yard right now:

144826858_Screenshot2021-05-169_36_24AM.png.a975e51b06f5c0d1e86022ca3a92d44f.png

Tickweed, Russian Sage, False Indigo, and Snapdragons...and a rare dog flower, apparently. 😜

• Like 5
  • Love 1

@Patrick_GThe orange flower in the Hummingbird picture is Agastache var. "Orange Sunrise", also known as Hummingbird Mint. There are lots of varieties but it, and the "Coronado Red" are my, and the hummingbird's favorites. In the background the purple-blue spires are the Purple Agastache also known as Anise Hyssop which they also frequent, but with less gusto. The "Orange Sunrise" smells sort of like the old Bubble Yum gum, and the Purple Agastache smells like Anise or licorice.

Agastache, Penstemon, and the Red flower in the other hummingbird picture, known as Red Birds In A Tree are the trifecta of hummingbird flowers, sort of like the catnip of hummingbirds.

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 3