Show Your Garden Pics

Patrick_G

@Patrick_G saw the funniest thing last night, I had just finished watering the flowers and the fragrance from the Agastache is always strongest right after; our tuxedo cat had followed my wife into the garden and as soon as he stepped onto the patio he closed his eyes, took a deep breath and just seemed to enjoy the moment and the fragrance for a while. He does the same thing whenever we have strawberries, he doesn't want to eat them, but he sure enjoys the aroma of the fragrance.

iphone 209.JPG

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

On 7/16/2021 at 1:50 PM, Patrick_G said:

@JettsPapa, there are some nice blue Salvias that you could try. Something like Russian Sage next to some Orange Day Lilies is a classic water wise combo. 

I do have a couple salvias.  I had one I was especially fond of, salvia sinaloa, that had blooms that were closer to true blue than most salvias (not so much purple).  Unfortunately it looks like that freeze got it.

• Like 1

Quite different from the stinky face they can make! It just exudes enjoyment and contentment, almost like a smile.They are very sensitive to smell, funniest thing is when he uses the litterbox and seconds later you hear litter being flung, and next thing you know a cat shoots past you in the living room like a bat out of hell as if he's trying to get away from his own smell.

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/16/2021 at 3:32 PM, Patrick_G said:

My Sedum Autumn Joy is looking a little ratty this year, but the two varieties of decorative Oregano is looking great. 

62A154CE-25A6-4069-8045-326B3BB2FE6C.jpeg

B77BF535-0036-4039-A6B2-C99D11F0BA67.jpeg

62D4DA34-B2E6-46E4-9DCE-F260EDCC6900.jpeg

Your garden is like a botanical species fairy land every place you look. 

• Like 2

On 7/17/2021 at 1:23 PM, Patrick_G said:

@Trish, thanks!  
I won’t be posting any wide pics. Things are looking generally scruffy. Certain spots are ok but overall I need to put in more effort. 

This is the difference between being a gardener and having a gardener, lol. When I'm doing it myself, I have to be okay with "Overall it's not a dreamland, but look, here's a really nice combo of textures and color...and this spot over there looks pretty fantastic today. Pay no attention to the 30 feet of dried up daylily scapes that need removed or to the ten feet over there where not a darn thing is blooming even though there are $XYZ worth of perennials planted there!"  If I HAD a gardener, I'd be saying "Buddy, I think you need to re-assess". 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/17/2021 at 5:27 PM, Patrick_G said:

@PineSong, that’s a great attitude!
I love watching Gardener’s World on BBC. The presenter, Monty Don, has spectacular gardens that look effortless,  but I’m sure there a entire crew behind the scenes. 

We love Monty's show, too. Pretty sure he maintains his gardens (with or without crew) as his job, whereas I have to maintain mine after working a 9 to 5--plus, it doesn't really get hot over there and I'm not sure if they even have mosquitos.  I live in a bowl of swampy heat that turns simple tasks into a sweatlodge, so I will forever have to admire his gardens without being able to replicate them.

• Like 2

We've got several hummers living in our backyard again now, also included a picture of my "outside angelfish" from Talavera Mexico LOL.The Hummingbird Carpet is still just coming in but with the Bee Balm, Red Birds in a Tree, Trumpet Vine, Larkspur, Anise Hyssop and Lilies it's a full time job for the hummers.

20210718_135332[1].jpg

20210718_134325[1].jpg

20210718_134354[1].jpg

20210718_134501[1].jpg

20210718_134504[1].jpg

20210718_134536[1].jpg

20210718_134609[1].jpg

20210718_134426[1].jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 7/18/2021 at 9:19 PM, Jungle Fan said:

We've got several hummers living in our backyard again now,

So very jealous of this - I've got one consistent hummer that visits my little rail box with the scarlet sage and the baby bells (Calibrachoa).  I'd love to have a flock, but I think that means I'll have to make my yard foliage a little more tempting! 😂👍

• Like 3

@BetsyWhen my wife and I bought this house the garden was just sandy prairie with rocks and weeds, some Cholla and Prickly Pear Cactus, a few clumps of Penstemon, but the builder was just going to put in more small rocks, I removed the big rocks little by little, except a few I kept for looks, added some top soil and planted the hummingbird and butterfly garden and our garden is about 15 degrees cooler during the summer than our neighbors' who are baking in the sun.

As a young man before I went to college I had worked for a landscaping company for a while that built Japanese gardens, with koi ponds, and tea houses, and trained actual trees with rope and stone weights to look like bonsai. It sounds nice but was back breaking work, however I learnt, a lot from the horticulturist who owned the company. Now that gardening for the most part does not entail working with pick axes, I enjoy it a lot more, although now and then my back still protests.

If you want to attract hummers I recommend Bee Balm, Penstemon,  Anise Hyssop, Agastache, Hummingbird Carpet, and if you have space for climbers, Honeysuckle, and Red Trumpet Vine. With those plants you are pretty much guaranteed to get lots of shiny feathered visitors

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 7/19/2021 at 12:55 AM, Jungle Fan said:

If you want to attract hummers I recommend Bee Balm, Penstemon,  Anise Hyssop, Agastache, Hummingbird Carpet, and if you have space for climbers, Honeysuckle, and Red Trumpet Vine. With those plants you are pretty much guaranteed to get lots of shiny feathered visitors

Thank you for this!!!  I will have to check these out - our back yard is pretty wild right now, and so we've been chipping away trying to make it a little more organized (read: less weedy) and to attract more fun wildlife...this thread is perfect for inspiration!! 

Thank you for sharing your wonderful outdoor spaces!

• Like 2

@Jungle Fan I used to work for a garden center and landscaping company and love having the hummingbirds come to the yard.  I manage to get one or two to hang out starting in spring, but I end up with a few more in August when they start thinking about going south. 

To add to the hummingbird list, in my sandy Indiana yard, I've actually had really good luck with Windwalker Royal Red salvia, probably the only red salvia that will handle my wet winters.  My biggest surprise this year has been that I accidentally got Black and Blue salvia to overwinter, even though I'm Zone 5 and it needs Zone 7.  The miracles of oak leaves in garbage bags!  Those two plants are heavily guarded by my resident hummer.

• Like 4

I just saw one this afternoon browsing through one of my bee yards. My have they grown up quickly. It wasn't that long ago they were barely bigger than bunny rabbits and now they are the size of large dog. Still have the white spots though:

• Like 2
  • Love 2