Show Your Garden Pics

Patrick_G

It looks like you have several zones but most of the lake Champlain area is 5a-4b. It’s just a guideline because microclimates can lengthen or shorten your season. An open lot on a south facing hill will warm up much faster than a shaded north facing lot. 

C628B35D-295C-41FE-9F48-9427E4D374C8.jpeg.4cb7f77b93670bcfaf24726b478bea57.jpeg

• Thanks 1

We live in the high desert, so it will probably snow for Easter this year... otherwise it will snow for Beltane😏 We had A/C on today, and this weekend we have to worry about pipes freezing again. Mother Nature hit menopause😂

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2022 at 7:17 PM, PineSong said:

Zone 6b, here, I have the first snowdrops blooming right now. I've ordered some plants and have my shopping list planned, but no room for indoor lights and early starting because FISH are taking up the space where I started my dahlias last year. I will live vicariously thought you, @Patrick_G. The year I grew white coneflowers from seed was one of my happiest garden outcomes ever. I hope you'll have the same luck with yours.

Just inside the southern edge of 8b here.

image.png.da496a01ba773861a23d9bbb2874d4b7.png

Here in SW OH. I'm officially in 6a Everything is brown except for the moss, pond algae, spring weeds and the premature Easter flowers starting to poke through like they do every year.  It is a long running joke that we can do 3 seasons in the same day.  This weekend we will do all 4 with the temperature expected to swing between 26-75 degrees.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2022 at 11:22 AM, Tanked said:

It is a long running joke that we can do 3 seasons in the same day.  This weekend we will do all 4 with the temperature expected to swing between 26-75 degrees.

Well, we officially hit 76 degrees and expect "several inches" of snow later this week.  The ground huggers began blooming, the daffodils began to break buds, and the wind proceeded to clear most of last years plant debris from the gardens for me.

First Flower..jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We are having a La Nina year here in the PNW. That means it's been generally colder than normal with lots of cloudy days. To make it worse the very cold winter seems to have killed a lot of my plants or at least did them damage. It's hard to get motivated, but I'm slowly making progress. Hopefully I'll have some pics at some point. 😀

• Sad 2

This is my first year with our own house, so I'm very very new to gardening. I've mostly just been trying to weed the beds that are already there. But today we made a new bed!

I've got 12 different native plants that are beneficial for pollinators. The white tube on the left is for an attempt at in ground worm composting. We'll see how it goes.

PXL_20220515_220110414.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

On 5/15/2022 at 8:31 PM, Patrick_G said:

@Katherine, congrats on the house! Your bed looks good, do you remember what type if plants they are? 

Back row, left to right:

Butterfly Milkweed

Prairie Phlox

Side-Oats Grama

Anise Hyssop

Little Bluestem

Lance-Leaf Coreopsis

Front row, left to right:

Wild Petunia

Blue Grama

Black-eyed Susan

Aromatic Aster

Missouri Goldenrod

Whorled Milkweed

They all came together and I tried to plant roughly by height so the taller ones will be to the right and the back, but the info sheet gave a 2 foot range for some of them so I'm not sure how well I managed.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 5/15/2022 at 9:51 PM, Katherine said:

They all came together and I tried to plant roughly by height so the taller ones will be to the right and the back, but the info sheet gave a 2 foot range for some of them so I'm not sure how well I managed.

Moving stuff around once you’re familiar with it is half the fun! You’re off to a good start. I moved to my house a month before lockdown so this is the third spring for my “new” beds. I put in a bunch of natives and I’m pretty excited to see how they do this year. I hope you have as much fun as I do 🙂

• Like 3

On 5/15/2022 at 10:59 PM, PineSong said:

Moving stuff around once you’re familiar with it is half the fun! You’re off to a good start. I moved to my house a month before lockdown so this is the third spring for my “new” beds. I put in a bunch of natives and I’m pretty excited to see how they do this year. I hope you have as much fun as I do 🙂

I've been told the third year is when they really explode in growth, at least for the ones in my area.

I also want to replace most of what's in the other beds with natives, but that's going to take me quite a while.

Edited by Katherine
  • Like 3

On 5/16/2022 at 8:28 AM, Katherine said:

I've been told the third year is when they really explode in growth, at least for the ones in my area.

I also want to replace most of what's in the other beds with natives, but that's going to take me quite a while.

Yes, sleep, creep, and leap--and I've put some shrubs on notice that if they don't LEAP this year, they will be removed. They better dig in or they'll be dug out! 

• Haha 2

On 5/16/2022 at 10:26 PM, PineSong said:

Guppysnail, I’m starting to suspect pink is one of your favorite colors! Beautiful! I’ve never been able to grow bleeding hearts and I love them!

ORD  thanks. Actually these are my only pink. Most of mine are maroon, peach, and red. It just worked out my only ones flowering right now are pink and purple.  

The key to bleeding hearts is mostly shade/indirect sun  with cooler more gentle morning sun. This one is under my deck and gets mostly indirect sun/shade and a few direct hours in the gentle morning.  I have another one I planted at the same time that is half the size of this monster (3-4ft round) but gets it’s few hours in harsher late afternoon sun. The smaller one dies off sooner each year as well.  

• Like 2

On 5/20/2022 at 10:48 PM, Ken Burke said:

Our garden is in a transition right now.  But here’s a little taste of what is going on. 876FA385-E0DC-464D-92FD-1D08963FB484.jpeg.7e184524104adc3f33b757c6bbd762eb.jpeg

2798334D-6913-4500-9474-8D17C75CBE7D.jpeg.f0d0859a73b2b864f3fd056703399c02.jpeg

D579D32B-5D5B-4552-8542-36BFF11DA12B.jpeg.b2606c8208b5fe8802892cf348321a4f.jpeg

EC57021C-65FD-4B2D-B8B1-9F5241A44FC7.jpeg.795ce1544035b312a3faeae6ea142672.jpeg

41DEDC35-A042-4DCF-9145-528E096DAE4C.jpeg

Those are beautiful hostas.  I wish I could grow them, but they don't like my climate  (hot at night, hotter during the day, and humid all the time).

• Thanks 1