Miller's Journal

On 5/30/2022 at 6:41 PM, SkaleyAquatics said:

You are welcome! There's still time, isn't the submission due in September? I want to do a submission but 10g is just too small. 

I will keep working on the 75. I have too many fish in the 40 as well. And I have nowhere to put them.

• 1 month later...

Alright, sorry I haven't updated the tanks in a while but I've been pretty active around the home. My wife is keeping me on my toes.

Biggest changes are as follows. 

I've moved back to the 40 for the competition attempt but it's struggling. The 75 has/ is becoming that packed look I like.

I'm front loading all macros with near 90% water changes. Both tanks are being dosed 18N, 8P, 25K and .5Fe as proxy. Still running 4.5dGH@3:1 and 0dKH.

I introduced a crypt in the 40 and I'm preying it gets going. I've never had too much luck with tissue cultures. I'm also trying and desperately waiting for the rotala pearl mini and the salzmanni purple to fill in. This rotala growth is near parva speed and doesn't want to be touched. We will see!

Pics are post trimming/ hair cut.

PXL_20220711_173930935~3.jpg

PXL_20220711_174052761~3.jpg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 2:55 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I was most worried about loosing my cycle. Both tanks have decent stocking.

I've heard of people where the cycle goes south; but i've never really understood it. When I moved it took 3 days but the tank didn't suffer a cycle lost (i moved the canister filter in the car and used the old substrate but there was not active water movement in either during the trip. From articles i've read the decay rate of the bacteria is not quite as serious as some people fret but then i hear (or read) all sort of forums where people claim the cycle crash or is lost when circulation stop so what am I to be believe ?

On 8/9/2022 at 4:21 PM, anewbie said:

I've heard of people where the cycle goes south; but i've never really understood it. When I moved it took 3 days but the tank didn't suffer a cycle lost (i moved the canister filter in the car and used the old substrate but there was not active water movement in either during the trip. From articles i've read the decay rate of the bacteria is not quite as serious as some people fret but then i hear (or read) all sort of forums where people claim the cycle crash or is lost when circulation stop so what am I to be believe ?

I can tell you that a dirty canister filter can go bad in 8-10 hours.

Not saying it will every time.  But it could.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 9:12 AM, Tihshho said:

@Mmiller2001 any chances you're considering going from the WRGBII to the WRGBII Pro's?

I probably will after I get the value out of these first. I'm incredibly happy with them and they are relatively new. I imagine I will have them for many years coming. When they do need to be replaced, the pro will be on my list.

On 8/12/2022 at 9:32 AM, Tihshho said:

I ask because I'm about to make the move to get new lights and just saw the Pro's had dropped.

Just do a bit of review research to make sure they don't have problems and people are happy with them. If the older one is decently cheaper, consider them as well. I couldn't be happier with these.

• Like 1

The Chihiros line has been popular for a while, with your experience with the 2's and the price for the pro's not being tooooo bad I just made the jump for the pro's to see how they will work out. The tuning for the pros seem to have much more options and balance to get even more to make reds and greens pop at the same time. The 2's were a game changer in the lighting world, I think the Pro's just might be offering a weeee bit more, but for the price you're right, the 2's might just be a good option. I'll report on how the pro's turn out!

Edited by Tihshho
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 9:45 AM, Tihshho said:

The Chihiros line has been popular for a while, with your experience with the 2's and the price for the pro's not being tooooo bad I just made the jump for the pro's to see how they will work out. The tuning for the pros seem to have much more options and balance to get even more to make reds and greens pop at the same time. The 2's were a game changer in the lighting world, I think the Pro's just might be offering a weeee bit more, but for the price you're right, the 2's might just be a good option. I'll report on how the pro's turn out!

Please do! 

On 8/12/2022 at 10:10 AM, eatyourpeas said:

Just caught up with this journal. The tank is looking amazing! 😍

Thank you. I came to a decision on the 75 gallon and I will update a final picture after it's most recent haircut grows back in. 

Lately, other projects have taken a big chunk of my time and managing 3 tanks has to change. So I'm going to move to a lower tech, lower light set up. I've never been able to grow Anubias and I'm going to take on low light plants. In fact, low light plants are extremely challenging, for me, and I'm going to learn. I found this tank and I'm going to attempt to recreate it. This is hands down one of the most amazing tanks I've ever seen and illustrates how beautiful low tech can be. This tank just blows me away and I constantly revisit photos of it.

The 40 gallon has taken shape and I will have an AGA submission. There's just one plant I'm questioning, but overall, with amazing help from @gjcarew, it's come a long way. In fact, with him, there would be no submission. I can't post pictures, as that has become taboo. @gjcarew could probably explain more 😁. I think after judging, I can post pictures.

Here's the tank I want to try and recreate.IMG_20211129_095556.jpg.08f6e31f01169cfe14f0ac9d454a7e9f.jpgAbsolutely amazing.

• Like 4
  • Love 5

On 8/12/2022 at 10:25 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Here's the tank I want to try and recreate.

I’ve always liked this type of tank with the masses of narrow leaf ferns and other epiphytes.   It would be cool to see it done without co2. Java fern can be so freakin’ finicky, I hope you can unlock their secrets. 

• Like 2

On 8/12/2022 at 11:37 AM, Patrick_G said:

I’ve always liked this type of tank with the masses of narrow leaf ferns and other epiphytes.   It would be cool to see it done without co2. Java fern can be so freakin’ finicky, I hope you can unlock their secrets. 

Fingers crossed, I've had zero success with Java and Anubia. I think the secret is in the light. I don't know how he got the overhanging look either.

• Like 2