Miller's Journal

On 4/20/2022 at 11:12 AM, SkaleyAquatics said:

Lucky you! I can barely get my girlfriend to fed her betta. Next year we are hoping to move into a house and I have been try to figure out how many tanks I want and how big. I want at least a 75 that is high energy but would like to go bigger than that and a least 1 other high energy tank probably in the 40 - 75 range. 

I can manage one high-energy tank, but my wife is not involved with aquariums, plus I have two jobs + lots of other time-consuming hobbies. I currently barely have enough time for the one, I often struggle to complete just weekly water changes. I love aquariums but am also a perfectionist, so I get stressed out when I don't have the time to give tanks the attention they need.

Low-tech tanks and ponds are where it's at for me, since ponds in particular get set up in spring then require no further care. My goal is to spend 1.5-2 hours per week working on the tanks, and at least 15-20 minutes per day just enjoying them. 

Edited by gjcarew
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Things continue improve and I'm finally happy with the tank from a maintenance standpoint. I guess I feel like I can relax and not worry. Noticing a bit of GSA but I haven't cleaned the glass in 3 weeks. I will go ahead and increase PO4 a smidge. 

I also bumped the light up 3% and will continue to do so every few weeks. Let's see what happens.

PXL_20220425_153055789.jpg

• Like 4

On 4/25/2022 at 11:42 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Things continue improve and I'm finally happy with the tank from a maintenance standpoint. I guess I feel like I can relax and not worry. Noticing a bit of GSA but I haven't cleaned the glass in 3 weeks. I will go ahead and increase PO4 a smidge. 

I also bumped the light up 3% and will continue to do so every few weeks. Let's see what happens.

PXL_20220425_153055789.jpg

What are your current settings for the light?

Which model light are you using? Also i've recently hit a bit of algae in my tank for which the cause appears to be insufficient fertilizer - because as i increase the fertilization level the issue is slowly being resolved - which begs the question can you actually use too much fertilizer ?

On 4/25/2022 at 5:51 PM, anewbie said:

Which model light are you using? Also i've recently hit a bit of algae in my tank for which the cause appears to be insufficient fertilizer - because as i increase the fertilization level the issue is slowly being resolved - which begs the question can you actually use too much fertilizer ?

Chihiros WRGB2 

Technically, yes you can use too much fertilizer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2022 at 6:59 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Pogostemon Kimberly

Is it bad that I just did a total fan scream on:

1. Actually recognizing a plant for a change (brain functioning a bit better, thanks to new doc actually listening to me)

2. I have developed a hard core autistic special interest on Pogostemon, now that I successfully have more than one variety growing for me.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

For your Chihiros, are you running glass lids or an open top? I'm in the market to get new lights for my 40B and I remembered reading your thread on how these lights have worked well for you. Do you control the light cycle 100% through the app?

On 5/9/2022 at 2:41 PM, Tihshho said:

For your Chihiros, are you running glass lids or an open top? I'm in the market to get new lights for my 40B and I remembered reading your thread on how these lights have worked well for you. Do you control the light cycle 100% through the app?

I run open top. I've found that gas exchange is just better without tops. I definitely have to top off the tanks daily.

On 5/9/2022 at 5:36 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I run open top. I've found that gas exchange is just better without tops. I definitely have to top off the tanks daily.

Well this is a bummer... I need to keep other pets in the house (i.e. furry fisherman/accidental derpy swimmers) from entering the tank.

On 5/10/2022 at 7:56 AM, Tihshho said:

Well this is a bummer... I need to keep other pets in the house (i.e. furry fisherman/accidental derpy swimmers) from entering the tank.

My wife keeps cats and they did learn a hard lessons. They don't jump on top any more. 😁

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2022 at 10:33 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

My wife keeps cats and they did learn a hard lessons. They don't jump on top any more. 😁

Might need to get some insight on this from you... Mine don't listen when it comes to tanks. As soon as I'm out of sight they like to attempt to sit on lids or lights. Part of the reason I went to a 40B for the display was due to the thicker lids as one cracked the 29 lid, haha

On 5/9/2022 at 4:36 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

For my wrgb 2 - i have a single plate of glass on the top that sits directly below the light. I have found that this light is not splash resistant and it doesn't take much water to cause issue. When I move I intend to hang them to give a bit more distance between the light and bottom. I am curious what intensity you run your - i used to run mine at 60% and now i've reduced it to 50% - with 50% i can get par around 70 at the substrate (40B) and 380 just below the surface.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 9:23 AM, anewbie said:

Ok your 40B setting is really close to mine - odd how we came to similar settings. I am curious why your 40B has the three channels balanced but he 75 has the green noticeably reduced. 

I think I have more bright green plants in the 75 and it was looking a bit too much. 

On 5/10/2022 at 9:03 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

One too many unwanted swimming lessons?

Indeed, around 3am causing quite the excitement!

On 5/10/2022 at 8:38 AM, Tihshho said:

Might need to get some insight on this from you... Mine don't listen when it comes to tanks. As soon as I'm out of sight they like to attempt to sit on lids or lights. Part of the reason I went to a 40B for the display was due to the thicker lids as one cracked the 29 lid, haha

Mine would do the same. So when I removed the lids, plop they went. They no longer attempt to ride the tanks! 👹

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/10/2022 at 10:35 AM, Tihshho said:

Problem is two of my cats like water, so they would hang on the tank with a leg or tail in, or knowing one of the other cats, I would find a fluffy gator floating with their nose above the water. 

LoL 😆

Cats are great. When i was young like you all i had the most wonderful tom cat (orange taby). We also had an aquarium and he would spend hours sitting up there trying to fish out guppies and tetra. Don't think he ever caught any but he loved trying. Sadly he had better success with the gerbils....

-

He hated water. I once made the mistake of trying to wash off his paws after he scraped them (they were bleeding). 

-

Now our cat after him was never story - she was a sweet heart. Used to bring home pet chipmunks - my sister did the most wonderful dances when her sweet gifts arrived. Oh well - fantastic cat - favorite pet of all time - she would follow me for miles when i would take our dog on a hike and attack her tail now and then. Miss those days.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 2