Miller's Journal

On 3/26/2022 at 5:08 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I might have finally learned how to beat BBA, so this front is going well. And I will update how I went about doing it. But let me win the war first but first battle goes to me.

Oooo looking forward to this update. I have a huge BBA problem in my main tank right now… 😛 I’m sure it has to do at least partially with the dissolved organic carbons so I’ve been trying to keep on top of emptying the powerhead sponge. But I know that won’t be enough to actually kill the stuff.

Also wanted to let you know that I’ve finally taken the plunge into dry ferts! You told me about them probably a year ago and it’s been in the back of my mind ever since. I got some calcium, potassium, and micro mix from Green Leaf Aquariums to use in my platy grow out tanks where the bio load is super high. I feel very fancy!

• Like 1

I will update for sure. Fingers crossed that the BBA continues to decrease!

Excellent to hear you've gone to the dry side 😁. After a while, it just makes sense to be able to adjust individual facets of your nutrient profile when needed. 

On 3/27/2022 at 11:12 AM, anewbie said:

Over at some other forum some people claim bba is heavily influence by the type of current in the aquarium. I don't know if this is true or not. I have some 'patches' of bba but it is not globally out of control.

I agree that higher flow areas attract it, but I have random areas affected too. It's definitely a challenge figuring it out. 

My CO2 controller is really helping me maintain consistent CO² and hydrogen peroxide turns the tide. Per Seattle_aquarist advice, I've also significantly altered how I gravel vacuum. Basically, I'm barely tapping the surface if doing any at all! 🫢

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 5:08 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

The failed AGA tank remains failed and is exceeding all failure expectations 😁. I mean, I have an endless supply of algae. So that's good, right?I really need to do the blackout, and I'm not sure why I haven't yet.

You definitely need to do that black out. Also what helped get rid of my thread algae was API Algaefix. Had turned white within 2 doses, might help if the blackout doesn't work. The rest of the plants look pretty good though in the 40g. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 3:33 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I will try it.

Will it kill moss?

I do not know honestly I had some strands of willow moss leftover that was stuck in the monte carlo and it didn't died back.

Also did a quick search and Tom Barr says he assumed moss would be harmed but both Xmas and Fissidens were fine. 

Java moss also appeared to be fine. 

Word of caution though getting the dead algae out of the moss maybe very labor intensive, I used a toothbrush and twisted the moss around it once it was dead to remove from my plants. So plants it just wanted to pull the whole plant with it.

On 3/27/2022 at 1:12 PM, anewbie said:

Over at some other forum some people claim bba is heavily influence by the type of current in the aquarium. I don't know if this is true or not. I have some 'patches' of bba but it is not globally out of control.

Mine definitely seems to be influenced by current. Most of it grows where my powerhead is blowing on it, with the sponge intake that’s full of mulm after a few days. It’s getting a constant supply of organic carbon water. 🤪

On 3/27/2022 at 1:14 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

My CO2 controller is really helping me maintain consistent CO² and hydrogen peroxide turns the tide. Per Seattle_aquarist advice, I've also significantly altered how I gravel vacuum. Basically, I'm barely tapping the surface if doing any at all!

Well I don’t use CO2 😬and I don’t gravel vac but I have two yoyo loaches in my tank 😬😬 I hope I’m not screwed. 😅

On 3/27/2022 at 10:21 AM, anewbie said:

I don't remember the details but i think they said it was critical to not have surface flow and for things like spray bars you want to angle down but you also want to ensure you get a continous circular flow. 

On 3/27/2022 at 10:14 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

My CO2 controller is really helping me maintain consistent CO² and hydrogen peroxide turns the tide. Per Seattle_aquarist advice, I've also significantly altered how I gravel vacuum. Basically, I'm barely tapping the surface if doing any at all! 🫢

This is interesting. I have my spray bay pointed at the surface to promote gas exchange, and I do deep gravel vacuuming. I guess it shows there is more than one way to tackle BBA. 

Lots of aquasoil folks say you should only clean the top layer of the substrate, for example with the turkey baster method. I was always doing very deep gravel vacuuming, and I had success with that. My guess is that what matters is consistency. If you don't clean the substrate (or don't clean it deeply) then do a deep vacuum, it's probably going to kick up a bunch of organics that would cause algae. On the other hand if you always do a deep clean then the waste organics won't be there to kick up into the water column in significant amounts. 

My instinct with an inert substrate is that it would be better to do shallow gravel vac, because you want those organics deep in the substrate to bind water column nutrients, reduce iron, etc. 

On 3/28/2022 at 12:28 PM, gjcarew said:

This is interesting. I have my spray bay pointed at the surface to promote gas exchange, and I do deep gravel vacuuming. I guess it shows there is more than one way to tackle BBA. 

Lots of aquasoil folks say you should only clean the top layer of the substrate, for example with the turkey baster method. I was always doing very deep gravel vacuuming, and I had success with that. My guess is that what matters is consistency. If you don't clean the substrate (or don't clean it deeply) then do a deep vacuum, it's probably going to kick up a bunch of organics that would cause algae. On the other hand if you always do a deep clean then the waste organics won't be there to kick up into the water column in significant amounts. 

My instinct with an inert substrate is that it would be better to do shallow gravel vac, because you want those organics deep in the substrate to bind water column nutrients, reduce iron, etc. 

I definitely create as much surface agitation as possible. I need as much O² as I can get. 

You are correct, when I deep gravel vacuumed, tons of organics got released. @Seattle_Aquarist mentioned a person who would do "shop" classes ( I can't remember her name) and she would never vacuum. So per his advice and technique I decided to give it a go. Now, I just lightly place the vacuum on top and gather just the particles on top versus slamming it in deep 😳. Both of you taught me the H202 spot dosing method and this combination is working.

I'm not sure if this has an effect as well but I did place my spray bar on the back wall blowing forward versus from right to left. I also increased the length of the spray bar as much as I could. Is this helping, I'm not sure, but maybe.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 3/28/2022 at 2:23 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Mmiller2001Just got caught up from February. Covid man, anyway. I love where you are headed. Think you're at the other end of the learning curve and hoping for your continued success. Star Grass has been added to the Co2 plant list!

Did you have it? If so, I'm super glad you got through it. I haven't heard or seen you in minute, and now it makes since. So, hopefully you are back at full force!

Thank you, and here's just two days later....mmmm Star Grass

Star Grass.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 3/28/2022 at 1:40 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Did you have it? If so, I'm super glad you got through it. I haven't heard or seen you in minute, and now it makes since. So, hopefully you are back at full force!

Thank you, and here's just two days later....mmmm Star Grass

Star Grass.jpg

Stargrass looks great but that eleocharis needs to be combed!

• Like 2

On 3/28/2022 at 5:20 PM, gjcarew said:

Believe it or not, yes. It gets rid of all the baby plants that grow on the tips. That's how ADA keeps their long hairgrass so neat

Well slap me silly and call me Charlie. So um, where do I see a demonstration of combing hair grass? I kinda liked the messy look.😁

And can I just cut it straight across like dwarf hair grass?

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Haha 1

On 3/28/2022 at 7:29 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Well slap me silly and call me Charlie. So um, where do I see a demonstration of combing hair grass? I kinda liked the messy look.😁

I also want to see this as I am now intrigued.

On 3/28/2022 at 4:29 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

In my experience the tips start to brown when you cut it. I know I saw it a video somewhere, I just don't remember where!

This is all I could find about combing. I will be trying it today.

"Product Description Eleocharis vivipara. This Eleocharis has a special place among its related species, primarily because of its method of propagation. It does not propagate by runners like Eleocharis parvula or Eleocharis acicularis. Instead, propagation is done by formation of plantlets on the surface of the leaves, in a way similar to propagation of the ferns. New plantlets don't produce roots for a long time, thus giving the impression that the stem of Eleocharis vivipara is divided into several leaves. This feature is of particular value for aquascaping. But later, when roots are already developed and visible, the plant will no longer look nice. Therefore, Eleocharis vivipara requires a special care. Care for Eleocharis vivipara has its features in terms of trimming and planting. The planting is difficult because the bush of Eleocharis vivipara is often made of dense cluster of its plantlets. You can press this cluster to the substrate, but in this case many of the bushes will remain unrooted. In the future, roots of these unrooted bushes will grow above the substrate becoming more and more visible. It's better, therefore, to separate all the young bushes and plant them in the substrate so that all roots are buried in the substrate. Leaf of this plant rarely grows by more than 10 cm without formation of a plantlet. In order to keep smooth appearance and decorative effect of the leaves, they have to be combed once in awhile. This can be done with fork. Combing of Eleocharis vivipara removes a lot of plantlets and even more effective than trimming with scissors. Eleocharis vivipara can be used as the background plant in the low tanks and in the large tanks above 40 cm in height."

I broke my QT protocols, and sure enough, I have flukes again. I had 2 SAE's in QT and they looked like they were doing so well. No problems viewed and had a weeks worth of General Cure. I pulled them out around the 2 week mark. This was a mistake! But as a good fish keep, I have PraziPro on hand!

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 2