21. Syngonanthus Belem

22. Limnophila Aromatica mini

@anewbie @Patrick_G

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2021 at 11:21 AM, Hobbit said:

Your problem plants are my normal plants. 😄 But I understand that in this sort of style you’re going for a certain level of perfection.

😜

I'm overly compulsive as im trying to really understand how to resolve these problems. I've given up on my 40. That's getting a complete redo, the whole 9 yards redo! 

I've also decided, I'm going to enter any contest and see what happens. So I ordered aquasoil, lights and Dutch style appropriate plants! 

I'm eager to try the more budget friendly Finnex ALC lights. I will have a review on them shortly. Hopefully my expectations aren't shattered 😭. I fully expect that I will have to buy another Chihiros! But maybe I will be pleasantly surprised!

Now I have to learn Dutch style rules, uughh.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 11/23/2021 at 12:08 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I'm overly compulsive as im trying to really understand how to resolve these problems. I've given up on my 40. That's getting a complete redo, the whole 9 yards redo! 

I've also decided, I'm going to enter any contest and see what happens. So I ordered aquasoil, lights and Dutch style appropriate plants! 

Now I have to learn Dutch style rules, uughh.

Could it be the result of reversing flow on your reactor?

I'm excited to talk about Dutch-style aquascaping with you. Not many people really go for it! The hardest part by far is having to pare down species to only 12 in a 75-gallon.

Here are the best resources I've found: 

Bart Laurens wrote an article on the Dutch style. He is Dutch and most of his pictures are from NBAT tanks. This is my favorite resource to really get that Dutch-style vibe. It should be understated and serene. The spaces you don't fill are as important as the ones you do. It's better to go with fewer, impactful groupings-- to the point where I might describe the Dutch style as minimalist compared to what one would find in a typical "Facebook" tank. 

- Vin Kutty (one of the AGA judges) wrote an wrote an absolute wall of an article about Dutch aquascaping do's and don'ts. There are over 70 tips, and you may go crazy trying to follow them all. The main takeaway is to focus on contrasting colors and textures. He gives some great examples of plant groupings that do and do not go well together.

- In terms of people that consistently do great work, look to Joe Harvey who goes by burr740 on a number of forums. He's a plant health wizard. He also always keeps his tanks thoroughly manicured. This is important because you really need a lot of practice to get groups to look right.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 4:40 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

If I were your neigbor I'd come over and take the rejects off your hands any time. Most would likely promptly die in my tanks but I'm sure due to your perfectionism/competitive nature more would come in time. 😉

I just rescaped my 75, 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket in plants mulched! Don't be mad! :classic_tongue:

On 11/23/2021 at 5:17 PM, gjcarew said:

I'm excited to talk about Dutch-style aquascaping with you. Not many people really go for it! The hardest part by far is having to pare down species to only 12 in a 75-gallon.

Here are the best resources I've found: 

Bart Laurens wrote an article on the Dutch style. He is Dutch and most of his pictures are from NBAT tanks. This is my favorite resource to really get that Dutch-style vibe. It should be understated and serene. The spaces you don't fill are as important as the ones you do. It's better to go with fewer, impactful groupings-- to the point where I might describe the Dutch style as minimalist compared to what one would find in a typical "Facebook" tank. 

- Vin Kutty (one of the AGA judges) wrote an wrote an absolute wall of an article about Dutch aquascaping do's and don'ts. There are over 70 tips, and you may go crazy trying to follow them all. The main takeaway is to focus on contrasting colors and textures. He gives some great examples of plant groupings that do and do not go well together.

- In terms of people that consistently do great work, look to Joe Harvey who goes by burr740 on a number of forums. He's a plant health wizard. He also always keeps his tanks thoroughly manicured. This is important because you really need a lot of practice to get groups to look right.

I was going to reach out to you once I have things converted and all cycled. Thank you! I will definitely be in touch and I will be reading all that information multiple times. For the sake of my sanity, my wife and I decided to just take the 40 breeder through this challenge. Should hopefully make it a bit easier to work in. I follow burr740 and really try to kinda make my tanks look like a cross of his, Greggz and others.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Sad 1

On 11/23/2021 at 5:22 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I will live vicariously through your wonderful tanks! 😍 I am keenly aware of my limitations…

I know one day, you might dabble on the CO2 side! It's worth it!!<wink>

On 11/23/2021 at 5:17 PM, gjcarew said:

It was popping up before that. The Kimberly getting mad was definitely not having the co2 right after reversing it.

• Haha 1

Woops. My scissors went wild! 

Had to make room for some new plants so I tossed out a few species. Trying Val for the first time too.

New additions:

Rotala Wallichi

Rotala Narrow Leaf SP. Red 

Rotala Macrandra Mini 

Vallisneria Spiralis Leopard.

News on the 40

We are all in, this is happening. Everything is ordered and deliveries start Friday. 

I wanted to try the ALC's by Finnex and remembered that they don't have an option to have light duration settings. You can only program them in 3 hour durations. They will be sent back. 

Unfortunately, there's just no budget option that you wouldn't need 2 lights for 18” width. Buying 2 costs about the same as a Chihiros and Twinstar. So it makes sense to just get a premium light. But which one do I go for? 

Current USA has a planted light with impressive PAR and 660nm Reds, but has a 90 degree lens. That's a problem the 3.0 has! 

I will see if anything goes on sale this week. Maybe I can grab one cheaper.

PXL_20211125_162238342~2.jpg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

On 11/25/2021 at 9:00 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Unfortunately, there's just no budget option that you wouldn't need 2 lights for 18” width. Buying 2 costs about the same as a Chihiros and Twinstar. So it makes sense to just get a premium light. But which one do I go for? 

I’d say Chihiros, I haven’t used Twinstar but I’ve seen them on plenty of display tanks at the local high end aquascaping shops. To my eye the Chihiros wins. 
Ive also seen the UNS Titan and ADA Solar. Both of those are spectacular! The price is high but not to bad compared to other hobbies. Probably less that the camera you’ll use to take pics of the tank. (Out of my range for sure, but as long as we’re spending your money 😀

On 11/25/2021 at 11:11 AM, Patrick_G said:

I’d say Chihiros, I haven’t used Twinstar but I’ve seen them on plenty of display tanks at the local high end aquascaping shops. To my eye the Chihiros wins. 
Ive also seen the UNS Titan and ADA Solar. Both of those are spectacular! The price is high but not to bad compared to other hobbies. Probably less that the camera you’ll use to take pics of the tank. (Out of my range for sure, but as long as we’re spending your money 😀

Thank you! I just saw a Twinstar on sale for 250. I also have never seen one and some people have said they cast a bit of yellow because the greens are lacking. I think you confirm that with your preference. 

Are the Titans adjustable? Or dimmable? Come with a timer?

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 10:36 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Are the Titans adjustable? Or dimmable? Come with a timer?

I think they’re like the ADA lights, and don’t have any adjustments. I also noticed that while it highlights red very well it isn’t as good with greens.

I haven’t seen a Chihiros Vivid in person but my gut tells me it’s adjustability puts it ahead of both the ADA and the UNS. It sure looks good in @Ryo Watanabe’s videos! 

I bought my Chihiros WRGB 2 after seeing your comparison pics and I still feel like it’s a giant killer based on price to performance ratio. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 11:51 AM, Patrick_G said:

I think they’re like the ADA lights, and don’t have any adjustments. I also noticed that while it highlights red very well it isn’t as good with greens.

I haven’t seen a Chihiros Vivid in person but my gut tells me it’s adjustability puts it ahead of both the ADA and the UNS. It sure looks good in @Ryo Watanabe’s videos! 

I bought my Chihiros WRGB 2 after seeing your comparison pics and I still feel like it’s a giant killer based on price to performance ratio. 

I agree, it's really hard to beat!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...