Miller's Journal

Thanks @anewbie for the direction. Found what I needed 😉 

Per some digging it seems that the Twinstar line of lights look to be identical (housing wise) to the Chihiros. I'll do more digging, but might be interesting to see if one is a clone of the other.

On 5/10/2022 at 11:59 AM, Tihshho said:

Thanks @anewbie for the direction. Found what I needed 😉 

Per some digging it seems that the Twinstar line of lights look to be identical (housing wise) to the Chihiros. I'll do more digging, but might be interesting to see if one is a clone of the other.

I researched twinstar as well and they have the same problem as most lights. They use white diods which ultimately leads to a yellow cast to the tank. Great light though. I found one on sale and it was hard not buying it.

On 5/10/2022 at 12:00 PM, Tihshho said:

Not sure we can link/name other vendors, but I found it through the Chihiros website for distributors in the US. 

PM if you can.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1

My problem with twinstar was that you have to spend a lot for them and then even more for a timer - which comes in fluval/wrgb2/... for free. I think twinstar might have a new model with the built in timer but not sure. wrgb2 pro seems nice as it has rgb + white diodes. Not too expensive either.

On 5/10/2022 at 2:02 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I was research the twinstar as well and they have the same problem as most lights. They use white diods which ultimately leads to a yellow cast to the tank. Great light though. I found one on sale and it was hard not buying it.

On 5/10/2022 at 2:04 PM, anewbie said:

My problem with twinstar was that you have to spend a lot for them and then even more for a timer - which comes in fluval/wrgb2/... for free. I think twinstar might have a new model with the built in timer but not sure. wrgb2 pro seems nice as it has rgb + white diodes. Not too expensive either.

Interesting points. They have ramp soft start and fade dimming built in now, and some of the models are actually running less than the Chihiros. Problem is, they are plug and play with no control from what I can tell. 

On 5/10/2022 at 12:05 PM, Tihshho said:

Interesting points. They have ramp soft start and fade dimming built in now, and some of the models are actually running less than the Chihiros. Problem is, they are plug and play with no control from what I can tell. 

For sure plug and play. I would only get one if it was deeply discounted.

• Like 1

Other lights to consider include hydra 32 (freshwater); ai hd (the hydra is a stronger version of the hd); ghl (very very expensive) 7004/7006 models; onf flat (I have one - it really isn't bad but there have been some tests that by a reviewer that plants react better to  twinstar and wrgb2 - also the onf flat is fixed size with no extending leg - ok for a 40b or custom tank but very inflexible - but you can get a hanging version with is more flexible. Flood lights are also an option in the cheap end. Interested in which light @gjcarew liked. Hope it isn't one of the ada models 😉

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

Just throwing this post out for reference. The vendor on Amazon is the same as the one who is selling direct. The direct sales are drop shipped from overseas, so the prices upfront are cheaper, but then you get hit with international shipping and customs fees being an import. Amazon is the cheaper option. 

On 5/10/2022 at 1:33 PM, Tihshho said:

Just throwing this post out for reference. The vendor on Amazon is the same as the one who is selling direct. The direct sales are drop shipped from overseas, so the prices upfront are cheaper, but then you get hit with international shipping and customs fees being an import. Amazon is the cheaper option. 

Not true; when you buy from them they include the cost of shipping (which is free) and there were no custom fees - at least i had none.

On 5/10/2022 at 2:36 PM, anewbie said:

Not true; when you buy from them they include the cost of shipping (which is free) and there were no custom fees - at least i had none.

This isn't what I saw when I went to check the shipping fees. 

image.png.af96f9c57336fe7aad116c5e1949ac81.png

On 5/10/2022 at 1:43 PM, Tihshho said:

This isn't what I saw when I went to check the shipping fees. 

image.png.af96f9c57336fe7aad116c5e1949ac81.png

Wow - that is awful. Guess it changed since summer. Last summer when I ordered mine shipping was free and no custom.... If they are the seller on amazon i would expect the same price for shipping.

On 5/10/2022 at 2:50 PM, anewbie said:

Wow - that is awful. Guess it changed since summer. Last summer when I ordered mine shipping was free and no custom.... If they are the seller on amazon i would expect the same price for shipping.

Nope, less than $10 higher per item on Amazon with arrival from a US warehouse. Seems like they are focused on selling through Amazon and less direct. 

Sorry for highjacking your threat Mmiller!

On 5/10/2022 at 11:04 AM, anewbie said:

I have the original WRGB light (bought in 2019) that came with white diodes. Modern camera phones pick up white light much better than RGB so the white light is better for pictures.  

On 5/10/2022 at 11:04 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

@gjcarewmentioned a light that Tommy Wong likes. I might try it at some point. Just can't remember which one it was.

Dennis Wong uses the Week Aqua A430. It's kinda like the Chihiros Vivid in that it's a super expensive ($330) pendant light and you need two over a 4-foot tank. One unique thing is it includes UV diodes. Theoretically it promotes the growth of "sunblock" compounds in plants that turn them red. It might also promote shorter internode growth. Photo of Dennis' tank with the A430's below:

spacer.png

I've strongly considered the Week Aqua P1200 Pro. It's a PAR beast with RGB-UV diodes and is the same price as a Chihiros WRGBII Pro for arguably more light. So why haven't I pulled the trigger? Well, my 36" original Chihiros WRGB is growing plants well. A new light is just another toy-- not at all something I need right now. Maybe when I have a little more disposable income I'll get myself one of those beasts. 

• Like 2

On 4/11/2021 at 5:30 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Do yourself a favor and read.

Zero root tabs, an inert substrate. He has recently gone over to an organic substrate, but proof is in the pudding.

I will have this tank some day? 

Hey hey.

I am new to seeing all of the amazing photos and your tanks.  I wanted to ask, and I apologize if someone has already asked this elsewhere, what is it about this specific style (dutch style) tanks that captivates you?  I get the feeling that's the right word to use, and I know my own personality, that is one of the dreams is to have tanks filled with plants and vibrant colors.  There's so many ways to make a tank and I'm just curious about this one, your tanks, and what you enjoy or feel when being around that artwork.

Really amazing stuff, can't say it any more than that.  I also really love the bench right outside the 75G so it's easy to sit and enjoy.  Very nice touch.

On 5/10/2022 at 3:32 PM, gjcarew said:

I have the original WRGB light (bought in 2019) that came with white diodes. Modern camera phones pick up white light much better than RGB so the white light is better for pictures.  

Dennis Wong uses the Week Aqua A430. It's kinda like the Chihiros Vivid in that it's a super expensive ($330) pendant light and you need two over a 4-foot tank. One unique thing is it includes UV diodes. Theoretically it promotes the growth of "sunblock" compounds in plants that turn them red. It might also promote shorter internode growth. Photo of Dennis' tank with the A430's below:

spacer.png

I've strongly considered the Week Aqua P1200 Pro. It's a PAR beast with RGB-UV diodes and is the same price as a Chihiros WRGBII Pro for arguably more light. So why haven't I pulled the trigger? Well, my 36" original Chihiros WRGB is growing plants well. A new light is just another toy-- not at all something I need right now. Maybe when I have a little more disposable income I'll get myself one of those beasts. 

From the specs I would think per inch the A430 is 1.5x stronger than the P1200 pro - so if the P1200 is a par monster I hate to imagine what the A430 offers.

On 5/10/2022 at 11:18 AM, anewbie said:

For my wrgb 2 - i have a single plate of glass on the top that sits directly below the light. I have found that this light is not splash resistant and it doesn't take much water to cause issue. When I move I intend to hang them to give a bit more distance between the light and bottom. I am curious what intensity you run your - i used to run mine at 60% and now i've reduced it to 50% - with 50% i can get par around 70 at the substrate (40B) and 380 just below the surface.

I do this as well. I checked them under a par meter and readings were almost the same(with vs without top) 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 3:54 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Hey hey.

I am new to seeing all of the amazing photos and your tanks.  I wanted to ask, and I apologize if someone has already asked this elsewhere, what is it about this specific style (dutch style) tanks that captivates you?  I get the feeling that's the right word to use, and I know my own personality, that is one of the dreams is to have tanks filled with plants and vibrant colors.  There's so many ways to make a tank and I'm just curious about this one, your tanks, and what you enjoy or feel when being around that artwork.

Really amazing stuff, can't say it any more than that.  I also really love the bench right outside the 75G so it's easy to sit and enjoy.  Very nice touch.

All I can really say is just that this style just catches my eye more than others. Maybe it's the depth that grabs my attention. Wish I was able to be better at at. Hopefully time and practice will get me there.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 2:58 PM, anewbie said:

From the specs I would think per inch the A430 is 1.5x stronger than the P1200 pro - so if the P1200 is a par monster I hate to imagine what the A430 offers.

Apparently with the lights about 45 cm above the tank he was getting 250 par at substrate. The way I see it at a certain point it's just overkill. I don't know if you'll see a significant difference in plant growth with with 150 vs 250 par at substrate.

On 5/10/2022 at 3:05 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

All I can really say is just that this style just catches my eye more than others. Maybe it's the depth that grabs my attention. Wish I was able to be better at at. Hopefully time and practice will get me there.

There's a very philosophical way to word it, but I'll just say for my own experience it helps me feel like I'm at a place that gives me calmness and some sort of peace amongst the noise around me.  You have a lot of talent, I hope you know that., despite wanting to do better.  It's been awesome to see your efforts and I'll be anxiously waiting for the next photo you decide to share with us.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 4:11 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

There's a very philosophical way to word it, but I'll just say for my own experience it helps me feel like I'm at a place that gives me calmness and some sort of peace amongst the noise around me.  You have a lot of talent, I hope you know that., despite wanting to do better.  It's been awesome to see your efforts and I'll be anxiously waiting for the next photo you decide to share with us.

Thank you very much. I will soon. I've been secretly converting my 75 gallon to be ready for the AGA 2022 Dutch Style, but I'm definitely struggling to get there. In hindsight, I should have been more patient with the 40 gallon as it has hit a stride I've never seen before!

I'm having CO2 problems, and tomorrow, I'm going back to an inline CO2 diffuser. I'm pretty over reactors at this point. There's something to be said about a CO2 bubble resting on the plant. 

I also just tore down my wife's 20 gallon so maintenance day should be easier. This is a quality of life improvement and I should be able to focus on the 75 gallon a bit more now.

Here is the winner of the 2019 AGA, one day I hope to have an imagination to create such a scape. Dutch style just captures my attention when it's done this well.

When I see a Dutch tank, I feel like I'm walking in a garden at some UK castle.

4145.jpg

On 5/10/2022 at 4:10 PM, gjcarew said:

he was getting 250 par at substrate

Insane! How in the heck does that not cause immediate green water?