Miller's Journal

On 11/10/2022 at 3:13 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Hmm, like angled up off the back wall?

Yes exactly.  When I saw the first photo I thought of two different images / designs.

The first was what you have, but I guess my eye wanted to "make sense" of the branches and put the pieces together so to speak.  I'll try to explain it, but hopefully the feel of the scape makes sense.  It kind of looks like the manzanita is two pieces, but it could be one piece?

image.png.f4d7a4c07f1b343049513f415fda7cfb.png

I was curious to see how moving these two pieces circled in red would appear. (I imagine some rocks or something there too would hide a seam if there is one, or the central manzanita piece.

Lifting those two pieces vertically behind the manzanita to create a "stump" of sorts. 

The second design that came to mind was leaving the base exactly as you have it but creating a bit of a "hand in hand" scape.  Think of it in terms of having your hand on a table with your fingers splayed out (this is the base right now) and then you would lay the second hand (manzanita) as if you were weaving your other fingers over that hand on the table.  I don't know how it  would look, but I had that come to mind as well. 🙂

• Like 1

@nabokovfan87

Unfortunately, all that Malaysian wood are small pieces. I just placed them together to form what you see. Also, all that wood is pretty much going to be covered in epiphytes. I'm hoping you won't see it at all eventually. I probably need to go wood hunting. I do love the log look.

Did you see this picture, just shifted them right a bit.

PXL_20221110_232346746~2.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/10/2022 at 5:21 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

not at all.  It's a great structure and I see the idea now 🙂 .

You do good work and I'm excited, as I'm sure we all are, to see the process unfold and how you make the concept your own awesome creation.

Sand has been purchased. I think next week is swap day. I'm looking forward to getting rid of the Eco Complete. Lessons learned.

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2022 at 4:09 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

@nabokovfan87

Unfortunately, all that Malaysian wood are small pieces. I just placed them together to form what you see. Also, all that wood is pretty much going to be covered in epiphytes. I'm hoping you won't see it at all eventually. I probably need to go wood hunting. I do love the log look.

Did you see this picture, just shifted them right a bit.

PXL_20221110_232346746~2.jpg

It looks good as is but I think replacing the light colored piece with something thicker would be an improvement, although it’s hard to judge the size of the pieces from the pic. 

On 11/10/2022 at 6:49 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Is the manzanita all one piece?

No, it's two separate pieces. And the darker wood is old spider wood I had when I first started.

On 11/10/2022 at 7:06 PM, Patrick_G said:

It looks good as is but I think replacing the light colored piece with something thicker would be an improvement, although it’s hard to judge the size of the pieces from the pic. 

I see what you are saying there. I will go back to the store and see if he has anything with more girth. 30 bucks a piece though...ughh.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 6:23 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

No, it's two separate pieces. And the darker wood is old spider wood I had when I first started.

Cool,

I thought it might be. 

I like the one you pointed to. The "white branch" on the manzanita (that piece).  Can you see what it looks like turned counter clockwise a little bit?  I'm not sure how far, maybe 15-25 degrees or so.  It might show off that piece slightly better.  I know it'll end up covered, but I'm just thinking.

The other pic, if you wish, flip the branches that are all going down so they all flow up and see if you like that look at all. 

image.png.067a3b880629c053f1bb47ac230bfb1b.png

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 7:32 PM, Patrick_G said:

I know! It’s crazy, and in my area it’s seems to be extra expensive. I’ve seen a couple med sized pieces for $109-150z 

Wow! That almost prices me out lol.

On 11/10/2022 at 7:30 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Cool,

I thought it might be. 

I like the one you pointed to. The "white branch" on the manzanita (that piece).  Can you see what it looks like turned counter clockwise a little bit?  I'm not sure how far, maybe 15-25 degrees or so.  It might show off that piece slightly better.  I know it'll end up covered, but I'm just thinking.

The other pic, if you wish, flip the branches that are all going down so they all flow up and see if you like that look at all. 

image.png.067a3b880629c053f1bb47ac230bfb1b.png

I'll give it a go. I broke it down and scrubbing it tomorrow. Pictures of your suggestion after.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 4:12 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

No rocks. I'm looking to try and create this type of look.

20210529_182105.jpg

I may have gone overboard with what I have lol.

Wow any idea what that plant in the background is? I like the way it's making a treelike canopy 

Are you planning on putting any moss on the wood?

What were your issues with the eco complete? I can't remember your substrate base....

I like the pieces you have there! Though the piece with the small branches seems a bit busy. If it's going to just be structure for moss, it's great.

Otherwise, in my opinion, it's too balanced with the rest, making an almost inverted bowl shape. My eye isn't being drawn to any one place. But that's just me, and without plants.

Edited by Minanora
Autocorrect...
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 6:58 AM, Schuyler said:

Wow any idea what that plant in the background is? I like the way it's making a treelike canopy 

Are you planning on putting any moss on the wood?

I'm going to try buce or finagle something. Moss is a lot of work once it gets going. So, I'm hesitant to go that route.

On 11/11/2022 at 9:01 AM, Minanora said:

What were your issues with the eco complete? I can't remember your substrate base....

I like the pieces you have there! Though the piece with the small branches seems a bit busy. If it's going to just be structure for moss, it's great.

Otherwise, in my opinion, it's too balanced with the rest, making an almost inverted bowl shape. My eye isn't being drawn to any one place. But that's just me, and without plants.

I agree here. Maybe that piece won't work.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 9:01 AM, Minanora said:

I see what you are saying. Maybe I'm trying to force that branch in. Maybe I will remove it and see if there's something else out there. 

On 11/11/2022 at 11:31 AM, gjcarew said:

I don't mind it with the thinner branches. I think it could create some really interesting shadows when it's loaded up with epiphytes. 

Maybe a thicker alternative would be a bit better. Maybe I can find something that could act like a Dutch street.

PXL_20221110_232346746~4.jpg

PXL_20221110_232346746~5.jpg

• Like 2

Update on the 40 and 75.

I've been lazy with the 40 and honestly has become just a holding place for my stems. The fate of the 40 is in question. Both my wife and I agree we want to have an easier water change day. So the possibility of it being sold is on the table. My heart wants to either turn it into an Apisto tank or a shrimp tank. But that does defeat simplification.

The 75 is in transition as above and it's looking like the substrate swap is next week. Maybe 2 weeks. I found the The pool filter sand at Ace and going with that. Looks similar to the Jungle river sand from Caribsea. I think. All the wood will get a good scrub and it will be go time. 

Pulled a few plants out of the 75 to get me motivated. 

Also, I had some fish deaths that were surprising. And going forward, I'm going to shift fish choices more towards colder water fish.

Hmm, make the 40 a Paradise fish tank!

The sand was 10.99 a bag @50lbs each. Bought a total of 150lbs. 

IMG_20221111_125311.jpg

IMG_20221111_125302.jpg

• Like 5