Miller's Journal

that should not be a problem, when i do propagation of a long anubias  rhizome, i'll use petite as an example, i always try to keep at least 10 leaves per piece of rhizome i cut (i also try to use a sharp razor or some people just break it, if said plant is say a much larger anubias species than well 10 leaves would be too large a section, 

i' can't recall if i have ever cut any epiphyte like java fern, would normally if in a big enough bunch just kinda peal away some easier w/ buce and anubias

have a good day

oh and those tanks are amazing drooling over those pics

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 12:30 PM, glenn anthony said:

that should not be a problem, when i do propagation of a long anubias  rhizome, i'll use petite as an example, i always try to keep at least 10 leaves per piece of rhizome i cut (i also try to use a sharp razor or some people just break it, if said plant is say a much larger anubias species than well 10 leaves would be too large a section, 

i' can't recall if i have ever cut any epiphyte like java fern, would normally if in a big enough bunch just kinda peal away some easier w/ buce and anubias

have a good day

oh and those tanks are amazing drooling over those pics

Thank you.

On 11/16/2022 at 4:40 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Subst

Substrate swap and new plant direction.

Why are you replacing the substrate and with what? I think i missed something. What kind of pool filter sand did you use? (I mean brand et all). The reason i ask is that doesn't look white like many pool filter sands.

On 11/17/2022 at 2:41 PM, anewbie said:

Why are you replacing the substrate and with what? I think i missed something. What kind of pool filter sand did you use? (I mean brand et all). The reason i ask is that doesn't look white like many pool filter sands.

I'm changing the direction of the tank in an attempt to recreate this look. See picture.

I'm use the Ace Hardware brand of pool filter sand. They have several options with varying colors.

20210529_182105.jpg

1153PXL_20221117_215400551.jpg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 2

Plants arrived and attached a few. Have some attached to the floating wood upside down. Hope this wood saturates quickly.

I'm going to have to redo the moss wall, going to attach most of the Trident to it. The Trident you see is just a resting spot till next week.

And yeah, need more plants.....

PXL_20221118_013917334.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I've been thinking about what I want to dose for this tank and I think I will go with:

15N

4P

.4Fe

However, I'm also going to raise KH to 1 degree. So, with the products I have, it's going to look like:

15N

4P

.2Fe (CSM+B)

.2Fe (DTPA 11%)

1dKH (K2CO3) 

I may also raise GH to 5dGH @ 3:1 Ca:Mg

• Like 2

I picked up some mermaid weed. My understanding from pictures (don't have it yet) is that it is quite lovely red and every tank should have some; but once i actually receive it and see if it actually grows i'll be in a better position to comment. The stuff is also pretty cheap.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 6:58 AM, Guppysnail said:

It is always so enjoyable to catch up on your journal. Very inspiring. Now the new plant bug is going to haunt me 🤣

I'm here to inspire needless money spending! 😆

On 11/18/2022 at 7:15 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

My most recent bag smelled weird too.  Same brand as yours.  But I did rinse it a bunch and it was ok; no ill effects.  Not sure why.  I couldn't say what it smelled like, it just smelled "different".  

Okay, I'm not crazy then. Yeah, just had a subtle sint. All the fish don't seem phased, so all seems good. I rinsed very lightly.

• Haha 1

One other plant i would recommend is something called india fern. It is a smaller fern that is slightly darker green than regular fern. My interest was that in my co2 tanks fern gets to be around 14 to 18 inches high which is frequently too dominating and this fern stays a lot shorter but has the same shape leaves (which i like). The problem is 'india' is a loaded term and i've never seen a store sell it just hobbists.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 8:28 AM, anewbie said:

One other plant i would recommend is something called india fern. It is a smaller fern that is slightly darker green than regular fern. My interest was that in my co2 tanks fern gets to be around 14 to 18 inches high which is frequently too dominating and this fern stays a lot shorter but has the same shape leaves (which i like). The problem is 'india' is a loaded term and i've never seen a store sell it just hobbists.

I have my eye on an African Water Fern.

I love it so far!

I wonder if to get the trident to hang down like that, if it's flow from a spray bar behind. I mean, if it gets long enough maybe just starting it in the bottom and then mounting it halfway up the wall will do it... I don't know. It seems almost impossible to do without heavily filtering the light, regardless.

What is your schedule for that nutrient dosing? And how often are you going to change water?

I think you need more trident, and Trident mini. Maybe some narrow leaf mini, too. And yeah, just throw in some black forest as well. 😜 Java Fern is my favorite... Besides crypts I guess. 😄

On 11/17/2022 at 11:44 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Any thoughts on how he got the overhang? Some kind of perch or moss wall attachment?

I can't say for certain how he did it. What you're really looking for is shadows, that's what give the "overhang" effect and make it a visually interesting tank. If I were to try this I'd fix a long piece of wood along the top back wall of the tank then cover it with ferns.

I don't think the shadows would be deep enough from attaching ferns directly to the back wall.

Bolbitis plays really well with trident fern, they are a great combination! If you need some our club has tons, let me know if you want me to buy some and send it.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 9:07 AM, gjcarew said:

I can't say for certain how he did it. What you're really looking for is shadows, that's what give the "overhang" effect and make it a visually interesting tank. If I were to try this I'd fix a long piece of wood along the top back wall of the tank then cover it with ferns.

I don't think the shadows would be deep enough from attaching ferns directly to the back wall.

Bolbitis plays really well with trident fern, they are a great combination! If you need some our club has tons, let me know if you want me to buy some and send it.

Attach wood parallel to the back wall or have the wood perpendicular or just protruding at some angle?

On 11/18/2022 at 8:49 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Attach wood parallel to the back wall or have the wood perpendicular or just protruding at some angle?

Parallel to the back wall. You can see in the original how the ferns protrude out in places making for visual interest; I would be willing to bet they are following the contours of a log/branch.

Edit: Not to mention you can see the log sticking out of the tank

Edited by gjcarew
  • Like 1