Miller's Journal

On 12/12/2022 at 7:22 PM, Odd Duck said:

I think that might actually *be* thriving when it comes to Bolbitis. 

I have had it 2-3x and it grows similar to Java Fern for me.  Which just means it doesn't grow.  I got it from the big box store had it doing really well. This was when I was first starting out and barely had discovered ACO.  I found out they wrapped a bunch of plants in string into a bunch.  After months of the plant being fine, growing, propagating, as soon as I "messed with it" then it just immediately died off. 

I tried Java fern as well.  Someone here had mentioned hard or soft water, temperature, and other things as being things to watch out for (I can't recall which or what the advice was).  I am recently trying that same plant again, trying to get this bolbitis to grow again.  The plant I got was so dried out that it's doing exactly what Mmiller is experiencing, it's turned black in some parts, but hopefully things start to improve. 

Needless to say I'm trying to keep an eye on any advice, but I really just need to have my own methods improved.  The tank in question had salt and all that, cloudiness, but it'll get there.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 5:46 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

You know, it's really getting frustrating I have to order everything online. Apparently, no one offers Fuji stone in Albuquerque.

I think you should feel happy you have better stores than I; and nearby colorado has even better stores - well if you are into day trips 😉 Of course this time of year those mountains might have a few flakes... long time ago in another life i used to live in boulder and remember taking a may trip to 4 corners and well you know ... probably as expected we encountered a few flakes passing through the mountain pass.

• Like 1

Don’t give up on the bolbitis. I had a clipping that melted back into little more than an algae-covered stick. A year later, it looks like this. (Excuse the mulm dust)ECFBF655-0777-4E26-A9D9-800C2F3D8C50.jpeg.45cee0ed10683efa44b66743860f71e4.jpeg

It took off when I moved it from a high-pH high hardness tank with low N, to a low-pH medium hardness tank with moderate N. It also gets more light in this tank. It’s not properly anchored to anything, but there is actual soil in that pot that it’s slightly rooted into. I’m not sure which of those factors are contributing to its success.

Edited by Hobbit
Oh! I remembered another change: this tank has no heater so stays 70-76, and the previous tank is at 80 degrees.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 12/9/2022 at 8:34 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

I'm hoping this is just transition damage. Like I've mentioned, I'm a complete noob with these types of plants. Thoughts? 

I'm thinkin all my bolbitus mini are goners. I've never seen plants turn black and melt.

PXL_20221209_163021588.jpg

PXL_20221209_163031106.jpg

That looks like Bolbitis heteroclita difformis 'Mini' to me. I've never gotten it to grow underwater, only in terrariums. I'm not convinced it's aquatic. Bolbitis heudelotii is a lot easier.

• Like 5

On 12/16/2022 at 1:40 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

This is what failing looks like. Kind of looks like vomit.

IMG_20221216_123237~3.jpg

What?!?!? NO!  It looks fine, it just looks like it’s developing.  Java ferns and such take time to sort out.  You have to let things grow and show you what they can do!  Do you really think that tank that has the look you want grew that way in a couple weeks?  That took MONTHS if not YEARS!  Java fern just isn’t that fast growing.  Not too mention Buces are even slower.  You can’t compare this to the stem growth you’re used to seeing.  You can’t create a beautiful bonsai in a few weeks.  They take years if not decades of growth.  Java fern and Buce scapes are kind of like aquatic bonsais.  They need only sporadic tending but lots of time to get them where you want them.  Be patient with yourself and your tank.

Edited by Odd Duck
Typo
  • Like 2

On 12/16/2022 at 1:28 PM, Odd Duck said:

What?!?!? NO!  It looks fine, it just looks like it’s developing.  Java ferns and such take time to sort out.  You have to let things grow and show you what they can do!  Do you really think that tank that has the look you want grew that way in a couple weeks?  That took MONTHS if not YEARS!  Java fern just isn’t that fast growing.  Not too mention Buces are even slower.  You can’t compare this to the stem growth you’re used to seeing.  You can’t creat a beautiful bonsai in a few weeks.  They take years if not decades of growth.  Java fern and Buce scapes are kind of like aquatic bonsais.  They need only sporadic tending but lots of time to get them where you want them.  Be patient with yourself and your tank.

But...it ...looks....so...bad ... 

I have no patience. So you're saying I have to wait? 😆

How come George Farmer's tanks don't take so long?

• Haha 1

On 12/16/2022 at 2:39 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

🤣 😆 🤣

It doesn’t look bad at all!  It just looks young.  Kind of like a teenager during those really gawky years where they’re nothing but knees and elbows.  😆 😂 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/14/2022 at 1:13 PM, gjcarew said:

That looks like Bolbitis heteroclita difformis 'Mini' to me. I've never gotten it to grow underwater, only in terrariums. I'm not convinced it's aquatic. Bolbitis heudelotii is a lot easier.

I totally agree, it’s a pet peeve of mine that Bolbitis heteroclita is sold as an aquarium plant in big box stores. I looks good in a plastic tube but it’s doesn’t seem to grow underwater. 

• Like 2

On 12/16/2022 at 12:39 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

How come George Farmer's tanks don't take so long?

You mean 'sponsored by Tropica' George Farmer? The guy who gets a crate of plants for every scape?

You wanted something slower paced than a full stem plant scape. It's gonna take a while to fill in, but it will eventually fill in

• Like 2

On 12/16/2022 at 11:40 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

This is what failing looks like. Kind of looks like vomit.

IMG_20221216_123237~3.jpg

It looks like a nicely laid out nature scape that you’ve put a lot of work into. Not much difference between this and a newly finished scape by someone like George Farmer or Jurijs Jutjajevs. Although there’s much easier ways to make money you could definitely do this professionally. 

Great photography too!

• Like 2

On 12/16/2022 at 2:50 PM, gjcarew said:

You mean 'sponsored by Tropica' George Farmer? The guy who gets a crate of plants for every scape?

You wanted something slower paced than a full stem plant scape. It's gonna take a while to fill in, but it will eventually fill in

Yeah, that George lol. 

Getting BBA already sadly. Transition damage is real.

On 12/16/2022 at 2:43 PM, Patrick_G said:

I totally agree, it’s a pet peeve of mine that Bolbitis heteroclita is sold as an aquarium plant in big box stores. I looks good in a plastic tube but it’s doesn’t seem to grow underwater. 

I wonder if I should just toss it?

On 12/16/2022 at 2:02 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Ahem! If that’s failing what does succeeding look like? 😜

Green Aqua and George Farmer tanks 😂

I've really grown to love George. I was watching a video of his the other day and he said this. "A perfect tank is an illusion." I think I have unrealistic expectations and should reevaluate them.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 3:05 PM, Patrick_G said:

It looks like a nicely laid out nature scape that you’ve put a lot of work into. Not much difference between this and a newly finished scape by someone like George Farmer or Jurijs Jutjajevs. Although there’s much easier ways to make money you could definitely do this professionally. 

Great photography too!

Hopefully it shapes out. The fish seem to really love it. They have been acting very different since this scape started.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

Here's an updated shot. Did a bit of cleaning which I will continue to do as time progresses. All of the Trident is growing new plants from the old growth. I think they were emersed and now converting to submerged. So I removed those plants and kept the new growth. I still need to do this to the middle and left portions but the right side is done. Added a few plants to the foreground that will maybe make it into the new tank when it arrives. All of the crypts are starting to take off and look at the blue coming out in this Wendtii Indo. There's some GSA on those leaves, but it's getting better. The Fissidens is coming along nicely and I will trim it soon and move it to more areas. Overall, there's quitea bit of Buce melt going on but I may be seeing new leaves coming in now. The bladder snail population exploded with so much to eat and the higher KH is helping them along too. For now, I welcome them. I also continue to lower light intensity while maintaining an 11 hour photoperiod. So far, no plants are showing any sighs of light issues.

Lastes Shot.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 5

• 2 weeks later...

Did a bit of testing and the tank is finally consuming. I've been dosing 10ppm NO3 and 5ppm PO4 with potassium over 30ppm. Surprisingly, NO3 was 10ppm and PO4 was 4ppm. I've increased to 25ppm NO3 and 7ppm PO4. Overall, the tank is starting to take a turn. It still looks rough, but there's finally some movement on these slow growers. Bit of algae on the glass, but I haven't scraped in a while. This is definitely a positive sign.

PXL_20230129_004754329~3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2