Miller's Journal

On 3/5/2023 at 7:12 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Not sure what slop you mean?

Not slop but SLOPE; the substrate is higher on left and lower on the front so if you put a marble there it will roll down hill ! You know i took another look at the picture and I think it was an optical imagination due to the shadow on the left side and it is more even than i thought. Oh well I think i'll go take a nap.

On 3/6/2023 at 9:09 AM, anewbie said:

Not slop but SLOPE; the substrate is higher on left and lower on the front so if you put a marble there it will roll down hill ! You know i took another look at the picture and I think it was an optical imagination due to the shadow on the left side and it is more even than i thought. Oh well I think i'll go take a nap.

Lol, woops, meant slope. That's just the picture angle.

On 3/9/2023 at 10:19 AM, DaveO said:

I can't wait to see this tank!

It's awesome 😊. Have to hire some people to move it up on to the stand. So a couple of weeks yet.

One complaint already was the miss labeled display dimensions. Website said 22 inch width, turns out only 18.2. but no worries, I can work with it.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 11:31 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

It's awesome 😊. Have to hire some people to move it up on to the stand. So a couple of weeks yet.

One complaint already was the miss labeled display dimensions. Website said 22 inch width, turns out only 18.2. but no worries, I can work with it.

That’s quite a difference in total volume - 12% less!  Is this a brand new tank?  If so, how could they get the dimensions wrong on their own tank?  And how are you supposed to get a stand right if they can’t give you correct dimensions? I’m so confused how they could get this so wrong.

Where are you at in this world?  I think you might have mentioned it before but I don’t remember.  How many people do you need to lift the tank?  Have you mentioned tank size and I missed it?  If you’re anywhere around Dallas/Ft. Worth in TX (or even within a couple hundred miles) my hubby and I will help and we have “people”.  He doesn’t know I’ve just volunteered him.  😆  Glad to help if we can.

On 3/9/2023 at 10:52 AM, Odd Duck said:

That’s quite a difference in total volume - 12% less!  Is this a brand new tank?  If so, how could they get the dimensions wrong on their own tank?  And how are you supposed to get a stand right if they can’t give you correct dimensions? I’m so confused how they could get this so wrong.

Where are you at in this world?  I think you might have mentioned it before but I don’t remember.  How many people do you need to lift the tank?  Have you mentioned tank size and I missed it?  If you’re anywhere around Dallas/Ft. Worth in TX (or even within a couple hundred miles) my hubby and I will help and we have “people”.  He doesn’t know I’ve just volunteered him.  😆  Glad to help if we can.

I'm in Albuquerque, it would probably cost you more in gass than to hire some locals, but ty for the offer!

Maybe I'm crazy, mind you I only saw their posted dimensions. I should have looked at all the pictures and noticed the discrepancy.

Here's off the website. Look at display dimensions. Then here is a posted picture of dimensions I didn't see. I should have caught this when doing the research.

Screenshot_20230309-110505.png

Screenshot_20230309-110559.png

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1

Ah!  So the display area is the 18.2” but the tank overall is still 22” so the stand dimensions are still the 22” wide. Now I get it.

But wait, why a “Micromag” glass cleaner on a 120 G tank?  That’s a lot of wiping back and forth with a “Micromag” which sounds very small.  😂  I have a tiny magnetic cleaner for my 2 G, but as the tanks get bigger the mag cleaners do, too.  😆 

On 3/9/2023 at 11:20 AM, Odd Duck said:

Ah!  So the display area is the 18.2” but the tank overall is still 22” so the stand dimensions are still the 22” wide. Now I get it.

But wait, why a “Micromag” glass cleaner on a 120 G tank?  That’s a lot of wiping back and forth with a “Micromag” which sounds very small.  😂  I have a tiny magnetic cleaner for my 2 G, but as the tanks get bigger the mag cleaners do, too.  😆 

Lol, yeah. I don't use magnet cleaners. Best way to scratch the glass 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 12:34 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Lol, yeah. I don't use magnet cleaners. Best way to scratch the glass 

Especially with sand substrate. I’m crazy careful with mine, but I also don’t have many new tanks.  The 29 G I just got to replace the old one and a couple10 G’s.  The 20 long was new, one 6 G cube and the 14 G cube were NIB when purchased second hand.  The rest are all used 😬

I plan to gradually replace the old 10 G’s after having one leak but the quality of the 50% off sale tanks is so questionable that I need to inspect every one closely.  I tried to purchase on line and none passed inspection.  Lots of them have really excessive overlap on the corners so any chip is likely to be huge, not small.  My 10’s are all end on so the excess would be at the front.

I hate going into big box pet stores, they always make me mad about how they care for the animals.  So the up close on site inspections haven’t happened yet.  But I definitely don’t want to move these old tanks.  Which means I need to get tanks inspected, purchased, cleaned, and ready to swap as I move them into the Offish as that oh, so slowly develops. Ugh.  I wish I still had as much ambition as I had 20 years ago!

• Like 2

On 3/9/2023 at 11:31 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Having read the posts after this one; it is an interesting design; having the filtration built in (not an uncommon design); when i was looking at my 550 one suggestion was to put a large matten filter on the back (which is basically what you have if you can force the water to pass through a sponge); i didn't want to waste the space (so i'm putting a sump under the aquarium); but i did want to put corner mattern filters on the smaller tanks 4ftx4ftx18); but the vendor wouldn't guarantee the aquarium if i did that (they have a life time warranty though the actual value is questionable - as it is in these things). Anyway having the filter behind isn't a bad thing if the water flow is quiet (which is another question to be asked once you get it setup); but of course it takes space.

With regards to mag thingy - i don't use them for fear of scratching glass but i am curious is this new aquarium glass ?

• Like 1

She's up...and of course my wife, the ham, took the opportunity to be...you know, a ham.

She's 4'11" so total tank and stand height is 4’⁴" and this picture doesn't reflect how awesome 70 inches looks in this room (length). I'm going to need way more plants. Ugh.

PXL_20230313_185537668~3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

On 3/13/2023 at 2:13 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

She's up...and of course my wife, the ham, took the opportunity to be...you know, a ham.

She's 4'11" so total tank and stand height is 4’⁴" and this picture doesn't reflect how awesome 70 inches looks in this room (length). I'm going to need way more plants. Ugh.

Very nice looking; bet it was kind of pricey but nice looking. Is it glass? And hey your wife is smiling that you got a new aquarium instead of well whacking you over the head - you know some wives are not very understanding  of our hobbies when they see the credit card bill.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 2:47 PM, anewbie said:

Very nice looking; bet it was kind of pricey but nice looking. Is it glass? And hey your wife is smiling that you got a new aquarium instead of well whacking you over the head - you know some wives are not very understanding  of our hobbies when they see the credit card bill.

Lol, yeah she's awesome. If the tank is green, she's happy.

Total cost, tank, uv sterilizer and an extra sock was 2200.00 shipped. Paid the guys 200 to move it inside. Had I gone custom, it would have been much more.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 4:44 PM, DaveO said:

Your new tank is awesome, and so is your wife. She is grinning ear to ear, as I suspect  you are. My wife likes my tanks too, but not that much. 

We are extremely satisfied with this purchases. Sand, pumps and lights being set up tonight.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 3:13 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

i definitely missed the post, how many gallons?

my guess is a few hundred at least with those dimensions...

a few monster fish, or way too many nano fish?

Edited by Theplatymaster

On 3/13/2023 at 5:05 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I dig the rimless setup. Very nice!

Working on scape tonight too. Want to get this cycle going ASAP.

On 3/13/2023 at 5:06 PM, Theplatymaster said:

i definitely missed the post, how many gallons?

my guess is a few hundred at least with those dimensions...

120 total, that includes display chamber and filter chamber.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 5:06 PM, Theplatymaster said:

a few monster fish, or way too many nano fish?

Way too many nanos for sure!

On 3/13/2023 at 5:08 PM, Theplatymaster said:

what is the stocking plan?

Move all current fish in and a decent school of Serpae to finish it off.

Dwarf Rainbows

Lemon Tetra

Pencil fish 

Embers

Apistogramas

Black Kuhli Loaches

Harlequins

Cherry Barbs.

Definitely a whirlwind of fish, but don't have the hart to sell them off for other options.

• Like 1
  • Love 1