Miller's Journal

It's all based on surface area. The right size diameter pipe would prevent that or having a second pipe would catch the spill over and finish off the dissolution. This doesn't work by heavily agitation of CO2 bubbles. You want a gentle flow through the tube. You can also design it to spill over once your target pH is met. This would keep you from gassing the fish. It's a redundancy built into the design.

I went double pipe because my back chamber isn't as long as I needed. 

I'm not saying it's superior to other reactors, it's just way easier and cheaper to build and works better than my Cerges reactors I've used. I can't explain why I have a lower CO2 flow rate on this 120 than I had on my 75 with a 20 inch Cerges.

On 4/17/2023 at 10:35 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

@gjcarew I assume the answer is yes, but double checking with you. Monte Carlo will grow if I just attach it to wood, correct?

Yes, with as long as you have high enough water column fertilization.

On 4/17/2023 at 6:55 AM, anewbie said:

The picture he has shows air on the top side of the tube with the water on the bottom but in reality there is nothing that prevents the tube from filling up completely with water and the co2 being forced lower. Did i miss something ?

That's not how gas and water interact. An upside down cup full of air will never fill with water no matter how deep underwater you go, or how fast the water is moving past the bottom of the cup. The gas will always rise to the top of the container.  

On 4/17/2023 at 9:44 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

I'm not saying it's superior to other reactors, it's just way easier and cheaper to build and works better than my Cerges reactors I've used. I can't explain why I have a lower CO2 flow rate on this 120 than I had on my 75 with a 20 inch Cerges.

how much did it cost to build and what did you use? When I built my cerges reactor out of a 2 foot water filter - the total cost was around $55 (most of it being the water filter housing); the pia part was double checking everything in the bath-tub for leaks under pressure and adjusting the fittings (i.e, putting lots of plumber tape around them) so they wouldn't leak. If I had to do it again it would take less time but the cost is bounded by the water filter casing which is not cheap. I suppose if i use plain pvc or similar it would be less.

-

Did you post pictures of parts and assembly your tube - i don't remember seeing them.

On 4/17/2023 at 1:24 PM, gjcarew said:

Yes, with as long as you have high enough water column fertilization.

That's not how gas and water interact. An upside down cup full of air will never fill with water no matter how deep underwater you go, or how fast the water is moving past the bottom of the cup. The gas will always rise to the top of the container.  

I know that but in the vertical canister it can't escape anywhere since the outlet is at the bottom. In a horizontal tube it can escape if it can get to the hole at the other end where the water exit - i realize as i wrote it it wasn't well said but as the water rises the gas will be pushed to escape (potentially). While water has higher viscosity; gas also has a viscosity.

On 4/17/2023 at 6:28 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

The CO2 only releases if the co2 pocket grows large enough to reach the exit. Otherwise, it's just sitt there with a stream of water running under it. 

This was my first build. 

Pipe.jpg

Well it doesn't just sit there (I think); it slowly dissolves into the water. What specific part did you use for the ends to cap the pvc pipe but also had fittings for 3/4 barbs (or whatever you used).

On 4/17/2023 at 5:42 PM, anewbie said:

Well it doesn't just sit there (I think); it slowly dissolves into the water. What specific part did you use for the ends to cap the pvc pipe but also had fittings for 3/4 barbs (or whatever you used).

PVC coupler and the end caps come with different size threaded caps. Then I used half inch threaded to hose barb from the sprinkler isle at home Depot.

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2023 at 8:53 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

PVC coupler and the end caps come with different size threaded caps. Then I used half inch threaded to hose barb from the sprinkler isle at home Depot.

So an item like this one:

https://pvcpipesupplies.com/2-x-1-2-bushing-sxt-438-247.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw__ihBhADEiwAXEazJkvk5-nef4RKKM70Osbo3ihE8-S_sbzAkEwpU84FGGwrfV2K45YbdRoCxZ4QAvD_BwE

I'm going to run my 550 with the reactor i made for a while but i'll look into changing it with something like this - basically it is a 10 foot aquarium so i could get 8 feet tube and put it on the back of the stand and then send the water into the sump return to be distributed by the returns.

Edited by anewbie

On 4/18/2023 at 12:56 PM, anewbie said:

So an item like this one:

https://pvcpipesupplies.com/2-x-1-2-bushing-sxt-438-247.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw__ihBhADEiwAXEazJkvk5-nef4RKKM70Osbo3ihE8-S_sbzAkEwpU84FGGwrfV2K45YbdRoCxZ4QAvD_BwE

I'm going to run my 550 with the reactor i made for a while but i'll look into changing it with something like this - basically it is a 10 foot aquarium so i could get 8 feet tube and put it on the back of the stand and then send the water into the sump return to be distributed by the returns.

That's the piece, yes. 

Transferred all the fish except the Cherry Barbs. 

I probably made a huge mistake doing them all at once, but I'll have water on standby.

PXL_20230418_223938071~2.jpg

Oh, I guess the stump is water logged now. No more rocks.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 4/18/2023 at 5:28 PM, DaveO said:

You sure have a way with plants. Your new tank is already looking amazing. 

I honestly believe it's just the improvement in flow throughout the tank. I'm not doing anything different. My Salzmanni is doing the best it's ever done.

Going to have to get out of my plant positioning fog and I need to get a few Dutch elements included too. I think I'm forcing plants on the wood and the look is definitely failing 😔.

I added Monte Carlo and this is my first go with this plant. Hopefully, it will be lower maintenance. The SAE keeps pulling the Tenellum up and I'm not sure the headache is worth keeping it. Both Salzmanni are doing amazing and I will need to find an appropriate position for it. I was going to give up on it, but it must stay in now. But where? I will give all the various Java Fern about another month before I toss it all. Most difficult plant I've tried so far. I need to get the rotala to more appreciable position and might need to axe the Red Sword. Lastly, a few more mid ground plants are needed.

I'm currently not able to get a better shot of the tank and my monitor needs serious calibration.

Fish Added.jpg

Phone shot.

PXL_20230419_184820973~2.jpg

• Like 2

Well, I went and did something stupid. I bought 2 Weak Aqua Pandora 600's to begin preparations. The hard scap will be pulled Tuesdays and my second run at the AGA Dutch competition will begin. I guess I will need more plants. Hopefully not too many and will be able to use most of what I have. How many cryptocorians can be used in a Dutch competition 😆? I have a feeling my Yugang reactor is going to be put to the test also.

The tank is 177cm long, if I remember correctly, that's 16 or 18 different plants. Ugh! 3 species per foot. The tank is 5.8 feet long, so yeah, about 16 to 18. Wowsers. I think I need a sponsor. Kidding aside, do I try some more challenging plants or keep things easier? Miller, don't get red crazy! Keep it green and have fun this time.

Edited by Mmiller2001

On 4/21/2023 at 10:20 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

do I try some more challenging plants or keep things easier?

Depends!  You have space to fill, but you also have to ensure you're happy with it.  Size is one thing, texture is one piece, but what is very interesting with that style is what you focus on to separate your tank from the rest.

I found this website, it's in german, but their plant database is really awesome. (you can translate websites with google translate).  Sidenote, "water plants" in german is also very fun to say.

https://www.flowgrow.de/db/wasserpflanzen

I saw this one yesterday and instantly wanted to see a fancy dutch scape with it.

Staurogyne sp. "Bihar"
staurogyne-sp-bihar-4f7a0323d36eb.jpg

If you can get it to flower: (I assume this is above water growth).
staurogyne-sp-bihar-544506433fc38.jpg
There is always something new and interesting to try.  I would say given your skill, start with a list of plants that make sense, and find a few that you want to try that are considered difficult.  Make sure they fit your parameters (temp, CO2, etc.), but try a % of new plants (easy or hard) as well as a % of easy, medium, hard plants.  Maybe that's 5% or maybe it's 15% of the tank being hard.  Tier it out.... then pick your goal.... crush it!

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 10:21 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

No co2 apparently 😄

Actually it is quite easy to grow a very dense planted aquarium without co2; and the above tank did a great job with texture. You just have to pick the right plants. This is my 29 and while it is not nearly as nice as the above aquarium it has a high density despite removing massive amount of plants each week (again no co2):
29_nov_12_22.jpg.94b3fcc79b65631d417118a12b36ad53.jpg

I do like the idea of adding a couple of coffee anubia to the left but while the angel is in there i need some open area. 

-

The question is what plants you grow and most colourful plants ('cept floaters) do a lot better with co2. also things do tend to grow a lot faster with co2 - this is my 40B:

a3.jpg.53f25a962c482e24b40145c0f3c54bcc.jpg

Though nothing extremely difficult to grow is visible in the picture; the density is greater and there are a few lower plants that will pretty much only do well with co2. Unfortunately one of my cat fishes decided to eat them a few weeks ago (had them for 2 years; so it is kind of annoying). I do like co2 in some cases but I think it is over rated in other cases - because in experience people will jump on the co2 band wagon without understanding their object and what is required to achieve them. I will say that type of water you have also makes a big difference on the type of plants you can grow as well as temperature - again a lot depends on the specific type of plant you wish to grow and these are factors that most folks ignore. 

-

Having said all this a simple of rule of thumb - dont' force a plant to grow in your environment if it won't grow - switch to something that likes your conditions (ph, temp, hardness); or do due diligence to figure out that exact requirements required (i personally find that to be too much effort 😉 )

• Like 2

On 4/22/2023 at 5:24 AM, anewbie said:

dont' force a plant to grow in your environment if it won't grow - switch to something that likes your conditions (ph, temp, hardness);

AGREED! I just do "easy" plants. That's what happens to work in my environment and me being a bit less plant oriented and not doing fertilizers. I've been using Easy Green as an experiment in 2 of my tanks and other than growing faster the plants don't seem any more healthy in my other tanks. 

However I'm not like @Mmiller2001 and enter competitions!

• Like 1