Miller's Journal

On 6/8/2023 at 12:30 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

You won't believe this. But I'm not a Buce fan. Probably because I can't grow it.😆

Maybe because it grows at a snail’s pace compared to the stems you’re mostly growing.  😝 😉 I struggle with buces, even though Anubias generally does fairly well in most of my tanks.  🤷🏻‍♀️ Buce tends to do well for me,  . . . .  until it doesn’t.  Buce growth is measured in months for me, definitely not days.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 7:12 PM, Odd Duck said:

Maybe because it grows at a snail’s pace compared to the stems you’re mostly growing.  😝 😉 I struggle with buces, even though Anubias generally does fairly well in most of my tanks.  🤷🏻‍♀️ Buce tends to do well for me,  . . . .  until it doesn’t.  Buce growth is measured in months for me, definitely not days.

Is there a fast growing epiphyte out there?

On 6/8/2023 at 8:13 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Is there a fast growing epiphyte out there?

Java ferns are probably as close as it gets, but nearly any aquatic plant can be grown as an epiphyte with enough ferts.  I’ve got both swords and crypts growing without substrate.  The crypts in a well populated guppy tank and swords growing weighted in my currently rather dirty Jack Dempsey/silver dollar tank.  They grow slower than in an enriched substrate but they grow, and I don’t fertilize nearly as reliably as I should.  Their roots aren’t attractive and are more abundant than fern roots (unless you have fish nibbling on them).  😆 

On 6/8/2023 at 7:22 PM, Odd Duck said:

Java ferns are probably as close as it gets, but nearly any aquatic plant can be grown as an epiphyte with enough ferts.  I’ve got both swords and crypts growing without substrate.  The crypts in a well populated guppy tank and swords growing weighted in my currently rather dirty Jack Dempsey/silver dollar tank.  They grow slower than in an enriched substrate but they grow, and I don’t fertilize nearly as reliably as I should.  Their roots aren’t attractive and are more abundant than fern roots (unless you have fish nibbling on them).  😆 

Good to know. I'm trying an African Water Fern but boy, it's Buce slow.

On 6/8/2023 at 8:24 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Good to know. I'm trying an African Water Fern but boy, it's Buce slow.

I gave up on those.  They’re so picky and just don’t seem to be true quatics.  I think they’re intermittent aquatics - seasonal flooding type aquatics.  But then, that’s actually what buces are, too.  It’s not surprising that they are harder to grow when you read about how the majority of them grown in the wild.

On 6/8/2023 at 7:26 PM, Odd Duck said:

I gave up on those.  They’re so picky and just don’t seem to be true quatics.  I think they’re intermittent aquatics - seasonal flooding type aquatics.  But then, that’s actually what buces are, too.  It’s not surprising that they are harder to grow when you read about how the majority of them grown in the wild.

That's also good to know, thank you very much for the information. This explains a lot.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 7:25 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I have it, but need all green. Darn rules are killing me.

You can toss this into google translate for a full english website, but here is a unique and seemingly endless bit of plant information.  Might be a help for you.  I found it recently and I'm thankful for the filters and tools to help me check out whatever type of plants I might know of and what else is out there.

https://www.flowgrow.de/db/wasserpflanzen

Maybe Hygrophila costata?

Here is a fully green epiphyte I haven't seen before:
https://www.flowgrow.de/db/wasserpflanzen/hymenasplenium-obscurum

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2023 at 10:01 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

You can toss this into google translate for a full english website, but here is a unique and seemingly endless bit of plant information.  Might be a help for you.  I found it recently and I'm thankful for the filters and tools to help me check out whatever type of plants I might know of and what else is out there.

https://www.flowgrow.de/db/wasserpflanzen

Maybe Hygrophila costata?

Here is a fully green epiphyte I haven't seen before:
https://www.flowgrow.de/db/wasserpflanzen/hymenasplenium-obscurum

Nice site, thanks for the link.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 3:58 AM, DaveO said:

Oh, man. That's something unexpected. And I'm sure something you didn't ever want to see. Hopefully you can just push it back in place.

It pushed right back and all I had was super glue. I tacked it back with it and the water pressure is holding it in place correctly. Hopefully they will warranty it or maybe I can grab some silicone seal and push it back there to hold it. Bummed either way.

• Sad 2

On 6/13/2023 at 2:33 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Mmiller2001just got caught up. Man those rainbows are killers and the plants were getting on fire 🔥! Sorry to see this custom tank situation come up like this! Finger crossed 🤞 they make it right! 

Thank you! They called me today and assured me there's no structural integrity issue. It's just the acrylic black background that's separated from the back chamber wall and it's going through warranty procedures now. I'm going to keep up with the AGA deadline and just add some support during water changes. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/13/2023 at 3:40 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Thank you! They called me today and assured me there's no structural integrity issue. It's just the acrylic black background that's separated from the back chamber wall and it's going through warranty procedures now. I'm going to keep up with the AGA deadline and just add some support during water changes. Fingers crossed.

So it didnt' leak or anything - is this the internal sep. between the filter chamber and main body of water or an external piece.