Miller's Journal

After further thought into what happened, this separation my have been partially my fault. I had the reactor resting on the return nozels putting additional pressure on the acrylic black panel. I've since zip tied the reactors to the light supports and I'm going to redesign the reactor to a single pipe configuration with 4 attachment points at the base of each light bracket. I'll go with a 2 inch diameter pipe at 58 inches long and in black. The reactor will definitely be above the viewing line and having it in black should help visually. Honestly, as expectations have been crushed, having the white pipe isn't so terrible to look at.

I also bought the small Coralvue tank controller along with their ATO package. I'm going to put the CO2 on this system as a precaution as the 2 inch diameter is a bit over powered with the tank dimensions. I figure a bit of over performance isn't a bad thing, but will miss the built in safty of my current reactor.

I had to cut the arranging short when the wall seam failed, we both panicked of course, but here's where the tank is at the moment.

I'm also getting worried the Difformis won't make the height I was hoping for.

PXL_20230616_140634153~2.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 12:00 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I also bought the small Coralvue tank controller along with their ATO package. I'm going to put the CO2 on this system as a precaution as the 2 inch diameter is a bit over powered with the tank dimensions. I figure a bit of over performance isn't a bad thing, but will miss the built in safty of my current reactor.

That'll be awesome to see.  I saw a clip / snippet of a plant that you might like.  It's similar to PSO in terms of the look, but I think it's a bit more restrained and looks really good.

He mentions the name, but I can't for the life of me spell it and I don't see it listed.  Video should start when he shows it. (Edit: Looks like a type of / or to be Eichhornia diversifolia)

1.png.a3e06a4b80237fa42a750eaf714194eb.png

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 6/16/2023 at 7:59 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Here's the formula if you want to try a horizontal reactor.

LxW(Tank)/17.7=X

X/Reactor length=diameter required for a 1pH drop

So for a 10x4 foot tank i would need a reactor that is 106 inches long and 3 inch diameter for 1 ph drop 😞

On 6/17/2023 at 6:40 AM, anewbie said:

So for a 10x4 foot tank i would need a reactor that is 106 inches long and 3 inch diameter for 1 ph drop 😞

Correct. Now imagine the cost versus the cost of trying to achieve the same pH drop using traditional reactors.

So something like this and then i'd have to find something to use at the ends:

https://www.amazon.com/Diameter-Clear-Schedule-Inches-approximately/dp/B07TY7GM6B?th=1

-

I built a reactor out of a very larger water filter for around $70; i'll see how that works before i move on to one of these. Also i suspect for a tank of this size i will want two tubes similar to the one above and connect one to the other to double the length for improved efficiency but maybe after 96 inches the co2 will be 100% dissolved ?

On 6/17/2023 at 7:35 AM, anewbie said:

So something like this and then i'd have to find something to use at the ends:

https://www.amazon.com/Diameter-Clear-Schedule-Inches-approximately/dp/B07TY7GM6B?th=1

-

I built a reactor out of a very larger water filter for around $70; i'll see how that works before i move on to one of these. Also i suspect for a tank of this size i will want two tubes similar to the one above and connect one to the other to double the length for improved efficiency but maybe after 96 inches the co2 will be 100% dissolved ?

I would not use that expensive clear pipe, just use cheap PVC or black PVC. A cheap low gph submersible pump and any method to get co2 in. I used an old inline diffuser without the ceramic insert. You want big bubbles. Install a bypass before the CO2 injection and done. Here's the end caps I used.

PXL_20230617_141118463.jpg

Do you have a link to the end cap? Btw my concern is that pvc is bad for health. Recently there was a memo sent to major cities advising to no longer use pvc for city water because people were getting cancer from leaching:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2023/04/18/new-report-warns-against-using-pvc-pipes-drinking-water-systems/11688737002/

Also waht do you mean 'big bubbles' ?

Alright, I think I have everything in their last positions. I'm just going to let it grow in now. I replaced the Corymbosa with Corymbosa Stricta' which is currently emersed growth. I moved the Difformis and put Pennywort in it's place. Added a Crypt Lucea that will probably get pulled out eventually but wanted to just see how it goes. I'll probably use some trickery with the Pennywort to fill it out if I pull it. Put in a Lotus and have it become big and full. 

I'm not great at arranging things but it is what it is. I'll fall back to my original plan and just get a submission. That's my goal.

To turbo charge growth, I've pumped lights to max, raised my nutrients to support the higher light.

30ppm NO3

10ppm PO4

40ppm K

.5ppm Fe as proxy 

PXL_20230620_164855323~2.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DaveO said:

I thought so. Explains the pink sand.

Well it means his lights aren't neutral. That is one thing i really like about the freshwater blade; on white sand i see very little colour effect from the individual spectrums.

@anewbie @Mmiller2001 how are you two with stuff like "fancy moss" or sußwassertang?

Especially that second one.

I'm sure I've asked before about it, but Ijust wanted to ask again.  Miller has the nobolis that did wonderful recently. Is there any sort of lighting or setup tricks you recall when it comes to those types of plants?

I've recently fixed and discovered a bit of my issues with plants, waiting for some to arrive, but trying to dial in my technique a bit and not repeat past mistakes.

Iv'e had trouble growing Subwassertang; my understanding is it really thrives under cooler conditions - below 74; and most of the fishes i keep prefer 76-82 which creates a conflict. I've had the stuff in small pieces for about 4 years it just doesn't do much in my aquariums.

I'm overjoyed with how marimo moss is growing  in one of my aquariums. No clue what triggered this behavior since it only did it in one of the aquariums (the other 2 it has existed for over 5 years but hasn't done this):
10_moss.jpg.2120a1e20bd9d481a1e83c0dabc7b69b.jpg20230529_083228.jpg.e58c564e28799a41c7ed502d8b2c8dd8.jpg

This aquarium is no warmer then the others or cooler but the moss has completely coated all things it could attach to (driftwood et all).

• Like 2

On 6/20/2023 at 7:06 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Alright, I think I have everything in their last positions. I'm just going to let it grow in now. I replaced the Corymbosa with Corymbosa Stricta' which is currently emersed growth. I moved the Difformis and put Pennywort in it's place. Added a Crypt Lucea that will probably get pulled out eventually but wanted to just see how it goes. I'll probably use some trickery with the Pennywort to fill it out if I pull it. Put in a Lotus and have it become big and full. 

I'm not great at arranging things but it is what it is. I'll fall back to my original plan and just get a submission. That's my goal.

To turbo charge growth, I've pumped lights to max, raised my nutrients to support the higher light.

30ppm NO3

10ppm PO4

40ppm K

.5ppm Fe as proxy 

PXL_20230620_164855323~2.jpg

I keep wondering where you get all the ultra special plant varieties 😊

1 hour ago, TheSwissAquarist said:

I keep wondering where you get all the ultra special plant varieties 😊

Witchcraft! But honestly, I have to pay alot of shipping costs. Recently, Etsy has come through quite a bit. Aquarium Plants Factory has quite a few harder to find species also. Sadly, the co-op only wants to carry the more common stuff. But I haven't looked through their offers recently. When I get really desperate, I'll reach out to forum members that I interact with and beg!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anewbie said:

Iv'e had trouble growing Subwassertang; my understanding is it really thrives under cooler conditions - below 74; and most of the fishes i keep prefer 76-82 which creates a conflict. I've had the stuff in small pieces for about 4 years it just doesn't do much in my aquariums.

I'm overjoyed with how marimo moss is growing  in one of my aquariums. No clue what triggered this behavior since it only did it in one of the aquariums (the other 2 it has existed for over 5 years but hasn't done this):
10_moss.jpg.2120a1e20bd9d481a1e83c0dabc7b69b.jpg20230529_083228.jpg.e58c564e28799a41c7ed502d8b2c8dd8.jpg

This aquarium is no warmer then the others or cooler but the moss has completely coated all things it could attach to (driftwood et all).

I've never tried it. I think I've read, like you mention, it does better in cooler temperatures so I've stayed away.

My understanding of the moss balls, they can become the plague like duckweed 😆

Edited by Mmiller2001