Miller's Journal

What is special about eleocharis montevidensis as compared to other grasses ? Btw I really liked my Blyxa novoguineensis until it got eaten; the texture is quite nice though you have to be fairly close to see it.

On 5/4/2023 at 2:59 AM, anewbie said:

What is special about eleocharis montevidensis as compared to other grasses ? Btw I really liked my Blyxa novoguineensis until it got eaten; the texture is quite nice though you have to be fairly close to see it.

@gjcarew it's the thin grass you don't have to comb! 😆

In all seriousness, it doesn't throw plantlets and look messy.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 5/4/2023 at 3:20 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Wow, what a chore. But it's done.

Chihiros 120 @100% RGBPXL_20230504_1844536852.jpg.156fc51b010e8c9d55bb74ca682372db.jpg

Weak Aqua at around 75%

PXL_20230504_2140003522.jpg.2c01787113dcd642fb02935df71fdc15.jpg

My settings on the WAPXL_20230504_2155491002.jpg.e333a3b1d715abcaaf7986c4c6b21c66.jpg

They are definitely cooler in color and I'll need to keep trying different adjustments.

It will be interesting to see how the plants respond! Does it look brighter?

On 5/4/2023 at 5:33 PM, gjcarew said:

It will be interesting to see how the plants respond! Does it look brighter?

Way brighter. I had them maxed for a bit while leveling them and the plants were pearling so hard. I just need to find the right balance to get rid of the blurple look.

The transition of ramp up and ramp down is ultra smooth and there's 4 or 5 custom modes that can be triggered at different times of the light period. The fans are ultra quite at 100% and the shades actually block the light at a great angle. Chihiros shades failed at this feature. I will say the wrbg 2 produces a solid white light when RGB channels are at the same intensity. This light, with my few hours of play, doesn't produce the same white light with all even RGB values. That said, the warmth, more sun yellow if you will, is amazing and creating a high contrast warmness is superior to Chihiros. I'm definitely liking the higher Kelvin of these lights. At a price tag of 200 compared to the 300+ price on Chihiros, I'm not looking back. I honestly feel like I have a professional lighted tank. If these go the distance, I won't be looking elsewhere. My recommendation is, get them now while they are cheap. Just deal with the struggling app while they improve it.

• Like 3

I just got caught up with your. Journal after several months. There are so many cool updates that I ran out of likes. This tank is really spectacular! I’m a big fan of these integrated rear sump type setups. 
It’s cool that you’re trying a Dutch style in a tank this big, I can’t wait to see how it develops. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 2

On 5/7/2023 at 4:24 PM, Patrick_G said:

I just got caught up with your. Journal after several months. There are so many cool updates that I ran out of likes. This tank is really spectacular! I’m a big fan of these integrated rear sump type setups. 
It’s cool that you’re trying a Dutch style in a tank this big, I can’t wait to see how it develops. 

Thank you. 

To be completely honest @Patrick_G, getting this tank was the best decision since marrying my wife. I've had to make some safety modifications as a few fish were sucked into the back chamber but it's turning out that tank turnover was more important than I realized. I honestly can't believe how much better the plants are responding and how much easier things are progressing. 

I was able to sell the 75 gallon and the 40 gallon should be sold soon. I have way more time to sit on the couch and enjoy the tank. Filter cleaning take 5 minutes and doing a water change on 1 tank feels like a vacation. The new lights are a dream and I want to push them to 100% as soon as I can. I'm excited, but already getting nervous for the AGA. I think I have narrowed done a few more species and Tuesday they will be removed. The tank is already looking too crowded and I need the species I'm keeping to take off. 

I've also been tweaking my GH and KH. I did notice a problem this morning with my Tiger Crypt and this could be why. Sadly, the Tiger is on the cut list. I just can't picture how it could make it in my scape I've envisioned. One thing I'm also noticing is adding KH is creating instability. 0dKH is just easier to manage and I'm almost positive I will give up on adding KH. Time will tell though.

• Like 1

I think you made the right choice with this tank. It’s even “affordable” when compared to some other AIO tanks on the saltwater side.
Since it’s so long are you finding it reasonably easy to access the middle filter chambers? 

On 5/7/2023 at 6:14 PM, Patrick_G said:

I think you made the right choice with this tank. It’s even “affordable” when compared to some other AIO tanks on the saltwater side.
Since it’s so long are you finding it reasonably easy to access the middle filter chambers? 

That is a bit of a challenge, but possible. Fishing out the the sucked in fish was quite the challenge. Getting access to the middle pump is no problem though and I keep additional equipment to the sides. 

Yeah, the cost of a custom or sumped aquarium was too much to justify when I saw this price. I wanted more width, but I'm still very happy with it. Shallow tanks are just so neat to look at.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 6:35 PM, Patrick_G said:

Are you considering an ATO since you’re using the net top? Or maybe that’s not really necessary since you do frequent EI water changes. 

OMG, yes. This tank loses a gallon a day. That's my next purchase.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 6:02 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Thank you. 

To be completely honest @Patrick_G, getting this tank was the best decision since marrying my wife. I've had to make some safety modifications as a few fish were sucked into the back chamber but it's turning out that tank turnover was more important than I realized. I honestly can't believe how much better the plants are responding and how much easier things are progressing. 

I was able to sell the 75 gallon and the 40 gallon should be sold soon. I have way more time to sit on the couch and enjoy the tank. Filter cleaning take 5 minutes and doing a water change on 1 tank feels like a vacation. The new lights are a dream and I want to push them to 100% as soon as I can. I'm excited, but already getting nervous for the AGA. I think I have narrowed done a few more species and Tuesday they will be removed. The tank is already looking too crowded and I need the species I'm keeping to take off. 

I've also been tweaking my GH and KH. I did notice a problem this morning with my Tiger Crypt and this could be why. Sadly, the Tiger is on the cut list. I just can't picture how it could make it in my scape I've envisioned. One thing I'm also noticing is adding KH is creating instability. 0dKH is just easier to manage and I'm almost positive I will give up on adding KH. Time will tell though.

Why is the tiger crypt on the cut list; is this s dutch thing or just an issue of too many options something has to go.

Btw what gh/kh are you using? My tiger has been roaring the past year but i'm not being nearly as precise as you are with the chemistry. The only issue with 0dkh is making sure that during changes to the aquarium the chemistry doesn't change too quickly as some fishes have problems with rapid change - it isn't so much the actual ph that upset them but the ion level (if that is the right way to express it) and raising the kh from such a  low level can have a large impact on the ion level.

As for plants while i no longer remember specific species i do remember that across a large number of species some plants will have polar requirements to water chemistry (i.e, some prefer soft(er) water and other harder water; 'prefer' being an understatement for some species).

On 5/8/2023 at 2:54 AM, anewbie said:

Why is the tiger crypt on the cut list;

It's pink, and big. There's a limit to red plants I can use and I have my eye on some others that will be easier to work with.

Btw what gh/kh are you using?

5.2dGH, 24ppm Ca and 8ppm Mg. 1dKH (K2CO3)

The only issue with 0dkh is making sure that during changes to the aquarium the chemistry doesn't change too quickly as some fishes have problems with rapid change

My incoming water matches the tank water except for a small amount of nutrient replenishment. What I'm seeing now is a decent KH drop over the week causing a bit of instability. With 0dKH, I'll be able to eliminate this issue and keep the tank a bit more stable.

These massive pH changes people assume happen without KH actually don't occur. The tank actually buffers itself 

i.e, some prefer soft(er) water and other harder water;

My understanding is soft or hard water is unrelated to KH. Hardness is Ca and Mg.

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2023 at 8:24 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

My understanding is soft or hard water is unrelated to KH. Hardness is Ca and Mg.

That part is true-ish; but ph also influence plants (some require acidic water other alkaline; what I don't know is if this requirement is due to ions in the water or some other factor being expressed as ph (i.e, is it the ph itself; ion (which i think is ph); or kh. My guess is people measure the ph but don't narrow into the specific of what is impacting the plants.

Edited by anewbie

On 5/8/2023 at 8:06 AM, anewbie said:

That part is true-ish; but ph also influence plants (some require acidic water other alkaline; what I don't know is if this requirement is due to ions in the water or some other factor being expressed as ph (i.e, is it the ph itself; ion (which i think is ph); or kh. My guess is people measure the ph but don't narrow into the specific of what is impacting the plants.

I have no clue either. I let the smart people figure those things out for me 😁. I do research my pants though and I don't have any plant requiring hard water. I did raise GH to 5.2 which is definitely not soft. S. Belem definitely wants a sub 6pH in the substrate and I had to eliminate it pretty quickly. Sadly, it was one of my favorites.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Ugh.  Sooooo messed up.  🙄  And yet, still beautiful.

Be nicer to yourself, @Mmiller2001.  You’ll get it where you want it.  And even if it doesn’t reach absolute perfection in your very critical eyes, it will be gorgeous, I’m sure.  Nature isn’t about perfect, it’s about perfectly imperfect.  Always remember that.  You already know this in your heart but you have to let your brain believe it, too.  “Perfect” is static and BORING.  Do your best and remember to work with what the plants want to do.  Let those creative juices flow and don’t strive for perfect, just strive for beautiful.  You’re already most of the way there, just need to let it “grow up” a bit.  Trust your process and you’ve got this!

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2023 at 4:50 PM, Odd Duck said:

Ugh.  Sooooo messed up.  🙄  And yet, still beautiful.

Be nicer to yourself, @Mmiller2001.  You’ll get it where you want it.  And even if it doesn’t reach absolute perfection in your very critical eyes, it will be gorgeous, I’m sure.  Nature isn’t about perfect, it’s about perfectly imperfect.  Always remember that.  You already know this in your heart but you have to let your brain believe it, too.  “Perfect” is static and BORING.  Do your best and remember to work with what the plants want to do.  Let those creative juices flow and don’t strive for perfect, just strive for beautiful.  You’re already most of the way there, just need to let it “grow up” a bit.  Trust your process and you’ve got this!

Thank you @Odd Duck

I know, I know... I'm working on that 😜. But I literally told myself, "don't put a group of plants dead center tank". And I put a group dead center.... oh the insanity!

• Haha 1

On 5/12/2023 at 5:59 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Thank you @Odd Duck

I know, I know... I'm working on that 😜. But I literally told myself, "don't put a group of plants dead center tank". And I put a group dead center.... oh the insanity!

😆 🤣  Just keep telling yourself, “Perfect is boring.  Perfectly imperfect is prettier”.  😉 

• Like 1

I wanted to mention a new crypt i picked up that on the surface seems quite nice:

Cryptocoryne Pontederiifolia Red Lips 

-

I've only had it for about 2 1/2 weeks so it is too soon to declare long term growth pattern but colour wise it is slightly deeper than Jacobensii pink and has the leaf shape of a pontederiifolia. 

Here is an awful picture - the leaf below the one i circle is in critical focus but that how it goes - i can take another one later when i get home if you want:

xx.jpg.e01adf6b067cc6291371b70b04431750.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1