Miller's Journal

On 5/24/2023 at 12:12 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Seeing the size of the tank, I’m just curious about how long that took you…an afternoon spent working on that would make my day! 😁

This took 2 hours. That includes the 62 gallon water change.

Do these pictures look better?

Angled 1.jpg

Tank Change 1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Actually I think i goofed; it was Blyxa aubertii that grew tall. I had three species near each other - blyxa novo, blyxa j and blyxa a and one of them grew too tall. Of course now two years later - my cat fishes ate it all last month and i hvae none. I think - unless it is hiding from the nasty cat.

• Like 2

Echinodorus ‘Aflame’ stays quite small for me but would probably shoot up for you.  😝 You could get 2-3 tissue cultures and work that nice color into the little gap between what I think is S. repens and Pogostemons helferi downoi.  You certainly have the right conditions to get it stay the best color.  Aflame Purple Knight gets bigger but Aflame I think should stay smaller, even for you.

On 6/8/2023 at 9:59 AM, Odd Duck said:

Echinodorus ‘Aflame’ stays quite small for me but would probably shoot up for you.  😝 You could get 2-3 tissue cultures and work that nice color into the little gap between what I think is S. repens and Pogostemons helferi downoi.  You certainly have the right conditions to get it stay the best color.  Aflame Purple Knight gets bigger but Aflame I think should stay smaller, even for you.

I actually have some I pulled out only because I've reached the max on reddish plants. I'm thinking about swapping the Japonica and the Quadricostatus, but I've been told the Helferi needs to be in front of something red. So this is going to be a struggle for sure. I'll keep your suggestion in mind and see what I can come up with. 

I wonder how tall the Helferi will get. I've seen pictures of it becoming a decent size bush. Maybe just moving in front of Lorentziana is a possibility.

The helferi looks amazing in front of dark plants.  Here’s an old pic of some I had in one cube.  The scuds got out of control in that tank and decimated it eventually.  I need to get some again but it’s a booger to start in a tank with any bottom dwellers.  It comes with small roots and is easily dislodged.  It’s also just a touch fussy and I don’t do that well with fussy.  😝 

IMG_2665.jpeg

IMG_2905.jpeg

• Love 1

On 6/8/2023 at 10:44 AM, Odd Duck said:

The helferi looks amazing in front of dark plants.  Here’s an old pic of some I had in one cube.  The scuds got out of control in that tank and decimated it eventually.  I need to get some again but it’s a booger to start in a tank with any bottom dwellers.  It comes with small roots and is easily dislodged.  It’s also just a touch fussy and I don’t do that well with fussy.  😝 

IMG_2665.jpeg

IMG_2905.jpeg

Heck yeah, that's awesome contrast.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 11:24 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I believe it's in ODs tank above.

Bucephalandra 'Kedagang' has a really nice green shade to it that would contrast. Can be used up front or midground I would think.

imagegen.jpg.0f47c63c52dfd00d709914ce169a161e.jpg

This one is labeled as Buce "deep purple"

bucephalandra-plant-10-leaves-deep-purple-10655959233_1046x697.jpg.b7480cc5551e6490be1fe5271767b38a.jpg

You won't believe this. But I'm not a Buce fan. Probably because I can't grow it.😆