Miller's Journal

1 hour ago, Mmiller2001 said:

I

My understanding of the moss balls, they can become the plague like duckweed 😆

Yea but unlike duckweed I think it is actually quite good in many ways - my frys love hiding in the stuff for example and the shrimps find lots of yummies in it. Not saying there will come a time when it drives me mad - but if this is the rate of progress after 2 years i can live with it - duck weed only took a few weeks to make me ill and months to remove.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 11:06 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

I think I have everything in their last positions

Well, we all knew this was a lie. And of course I made it worse. So yesterday I worked on the left side and I kinda like it. Excuse the miscellaneously placed plants, they will be moved shortly. But now I'm going to work on the right side. Fingers crossed. Hopefully I will have the middle figured out on Monday.

PXL_20230624_204935140~2.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 2:13 PM, Mmiller2001 said:
On 6/20/2023 at 10:06 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

I think I have everything in their last positions

Well, we all knew this was a lie.

Lol.

It looks good.  Only a little bit of finishing salt, but your tank is looking good.  Any update on the repair?

On 6/24/2023 at 3:57 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Lol.

It looks good.  Only a little bit of finishing salt, but your tank is looking good.  Any update on the repair?

Super glue is holding it. You can't see the damage so I'm okay with it. Haven't heard back from them though. I'll reach out next week.

• Like 1

I know it would be a difficult move for these particular plants, but I think you should move your Pogostemon helferi downei over where you have what looks like Crypt ‘Pink Panther’ and swap the Pink Panther to where the P. helferi is at.  Then you would have bright green in front of red-tinged green plants and bright pink in front on assorted greens.  Better contrast but both would still be appropriate sizes in those locations.  Both groups would be very ticked off for a while, though, and Pink Panther is so temperamental.

Or swap the Pink Panther with the Staurogyne repens but it won’t act as a path nearly as well as the repens.  You might need to shuffle the shapes of the groups and use your helferi as your path instead.

On 6/25/2023 at 10:18 AM, Odd Duck said:

I know it would be a difficult move for these particular plants, but I think you should move your Pogostemon helferi downei over where you have what looks like Crypt ‘Pink Panther’ and swap the Pink Panther to where the P. helferi is at.  Then you would have bright green in front of red-tinged green plants and bright pink in front on assorted greens.  Better contrast but both would still be appropriate sizes in those locations.  Both groups would be very ticked off for a while, though, and Pink Panther is so temperamental.

Or swap the Pink Panther with the Staurogyne repens but it won’t act as a path nearly as well as the repens.  You might need to shuffle the shapes of the groups and use your helferi as your path instead.

You have an excellent eye. This was suggested by Joe Harvey also. I have a lotus started behind the Helferi and I'll wait to see how it looks before making the switch. The red is Alternanthera Rosanervig mini which also gets upset when moved so I'm just waiting to see how it goes.

• Like 1

I finally was able to get my tank controller up and running. I chose Coralvue over Apex because in this instance, I like the proprietary options. You can use other non Coralvue options but this seemed simpler to me. Also, this is freshwater and Apex price point to my needs was a bit high. 

I just need to purchase a 5 gallon tank so I can setup the ATO. I'm looking to get the rope leak detector and I may dive into ORP. We will see though. I wish they had a TDS probe though. That would be fun to monitor in real time.

Also, about 3 weeks ago I switched to a new custom micro mix developed by Joe Harvey (Burr Aqua). His micro mix is coming to market in about 3 months and there's no way I'm going back to any other option. I honestly couldn't be happier with his micro mix. 

Oh, I had my CO2 solenoid powered through a USB port on the Coralvue and I believe this was a no no. My pH wasn't dropping so I put it back on a normal plug which solved the problem. Unfortunately, today peak CO2 is delayed to after lights on. 

Lastly, I have a new phone coming so I'd imagine my picture quality should increase a good bit. My current phone is pretty old by technology standards.

Shot of the tank this morning. I haven't redone the mid section and still have miscellaneous plants scattered about.

Screenshot_20230628-085217.png

PXL_20230628_151638233.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/12/2023 at 9:59 AM, gjcarew said:

I need to figure out how to get my limnophila aromatica looking like yours!

Mine is the mini version fyi. I cut it straight across the top to flatten it then reverse my curved scissors and shape the sides round. It will maintain the shape as it grows back. It will stunt for just over a week when I get aggressive with it but handles the shaping well.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 3:07 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Lower light shot 

IMG_0180.jpeg

You did a good job of varying your group size in the back and midground, but I noticed that in the foreground almost a the groups are the same width. You might want to expand some and contract others to give it a bit more variety, like in this tank

• Like 2