Miller's Journal

On 7/21/2023 at 8:36 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Makes sense.   It's going to look different based on the screen of the person viewing too, so there's always a bit of subjectivity.

If the sag ever bugs you too much or causes an issue, there is a technique we had to add some rigidity in my last job.  I don't think I can divulge how or why, but let's just say it was a high stress load.

Tube, inside of a tube, inside of a tube.  Often this was 3-4 tubes cut to varying lengths held in place with hardware.  Something for this application might be adding a secondary tube to reduce the sag and then adding corner braces.  You could also support the middle section via the wall, but not sure if you wish to do that.  The sketches by Odd_Duck showed the wall mount methodology and looked pretty awesome.

a.png.f4a89f7675299873a82e78d7826fde69.png

Yeah, there’s a bit of sag but in this case I’m satisfied with it. Steel pipe so should be good to go for a long while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

It’s always at the worst time. I’m definitely loosing control of the tank and my knowledge on what to do ends here. My gut says the 3rd light addition and pumping a huge amount of light set the tank into a downward spiral. The overall health of the tank is deteriorating and a bit of fuzz algae is showing up. I also over trimmed my AR Rose mini and it’s definitely not going to make it in time. My GLA regulator is taking a dump and has put my CO2 all over the place. I pretty much have to keep it turned way up. Luckily, the Yugang reactor prevents any over gassing while in over flow mode. It’s just a waste of gas though.

I’ve dropped light intensity from 80% to 60% to see if things settle down. I’m nearing a point where plants are reaching trim to peak and if things don’t get better, I’ll scrub my entry into the AGA. Time has run out.

I ordered a new regulator and it’s high end, lab grade parts and added a flow meter. I was told these cheap regulators sucked, and now I know it’s true. All, spend the money, don’t cheap out on a regulator. Build your own with quality parts or spend the money!

Here is a look at a CO2 problem versus correct CO2.

IMG_0321.jpeg.faf1015eaf366c418cb5cb7d659b03c6.jpegIMG_0323.jpeg.a591c4968b5c99f06845e6429557e4d7.jpeg

• Sad 2

On 8/7/2023 at 1:28 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

It’s always at the worst time. I’m definitely loosing control of the tank and my knowledge on what to do ends here. My gut says the 3rd light addition and pumping a huge amount of light set the tank into a downward spiral. The overall health of the tank is deteriorating and a bit of fuzz algae is showing up. I also over trimmed my AR Rose mini and it’s definitely not going to make it in time. My GLA regulator is taking a dump and has put my CO2 all over the place. I pretty much have to keep it turned way up. Luckily, the Yugang reactor prevents any over gassing while in over flow mode. It’s just a waste of gas though.

I’ve dropped light intensity from 80% to 60% to see if things settle down. I’m nearing a point where plants are reaching trim to peak and if things don’t get better, I’ll scrub my entry into the AGA. Time has run out.

I ordered a new regulator and it’s high end, lab grade parts and added a flow meter. I was told these cheap regulators sucked, and now I know it’s true. All, spend the money, don’t cheap out on a regulator. Build your own with quality parts or spend the money!

Here is a look at a CO2 problem versus correct CO2.

IMG_0321.jpeg.faf1015eaf366c418cb5cb7d659b03c6.jpegIMG_0323.jpeg.a591c4968b5c99f06845e6429557e4d7.jpeg

Which GLA regulator were you using? A good portion of them are a few hundred dollars.

On 8/7/2023 at 12:54 PM, SkaleyAquatics said:

wow im shocked. what did you end up ordering then? I was planning to order a GLA regulator when I start doing the 60gal cube I am planning. But I will steer clear if you have had issues. 

2 separate random leaks and now the needle or solenoid doesn’t keep consistent flow.

I grabbed an Alan Le,

Here’s the one he built for me.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2023 at 3:15 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

2 separate random leaks and now the needle or solenoid doesn’t keep consistent flow.

I grabbed an Alan Le,

Here’s the one he built for me.

Interesting, I may have to look into him when the time comes or build my own but that looks nice.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2023 at 10:28 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

You always enter with the tank you have, not the tank you wish you had. Don't worry about getting it perfect, just get it as good as you can. Your tank, as is, could definitely place in the top 5. It's got a fantastic classic Dutch look about it.

The crazy thing is that the mistakes you think you made, nobody will notice. And they might point out entirely different mistakes you didn't even consider 🙂The feedback I've gotten from the judges is never what I think it will be, for better or for worse.

Just whatever you do, trim light. No big chops from here on out.

• Like 3

On 8/8/2023 at 12:13 AM, gjcarew said:

You always enter with the tank you have, not the tank you wish you had. Don't worry about getting it perfect, just get it as good as you can. Your tank, as is, could definitely place in the top 5. It's got a fantastic classic Dutch look about it.

The crazy thing is that the mistakes you think you made, nobody will notice. And they might point out entirely different mistakes you didn't even consider 🙂The feedback I've gotten from the judges is never what I think it will be, for better or for worse.

Just whatever you do, trim light. No big chops from here on out.

Advice taken, will do for sure.

• Like 2

My understanding is that algae (though it depends on the sort) usually forms due to nutrient imbalance. I know i started getting algae on a very stable aquarium when my old fertilizer ran out and i started using something else - but i specifically had that hair/thread algae growing on the surface plants. 

You do want to fix the problem else it will get out of control - my best aquarium has been pretty much algae free for four years. 

Measuring par would help but i doubt you need more light - but i hate to give advice. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 4:43 AM, anewbie said:

My understanding is that algae (though it depends on the sort) usually forms due to nutrient imbalance. I know i started getting algae on a very stable aquarium when my old fertilizer ran out and i started using something else - but i specifically had that hair/thread algae growing on the surface plants. 

You do want to fix the problem else it will get out of control - my best aquarium has been pretty much algae free for four years. 

Measuring par would help but i doubt you need more light - but i hate to give advice. 

Yeah, I think pumping all the extra light chucked that balance right out the window 😬. I’ll keep doing what I have been dosing. Hopefully, lowering intensity brings everything back in line. 

My current numbers are:

30ppm NO3

10ppm PO4

35ppm K

around .45ppm Fe as proxy.

The problem is associated with my CO2 problem and the more light across the tank. I should have known 80% was too much too fast.

@gjcarew

pull it or keep at it?

IMG_0354.jpeg

On 8/8/2023 at 8:01 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Yeah, I think pumping all the extra light chucked that balance right out the window 😬. I’ll keep doing what I have been dosing. Hopefully, lowering intensity brings everything back in line. 

My current numbers are:

30ppm NO3

10ppm PO4

35ppm K

around .45ppm Fe as proxy.

The problem is associated with my CO2 problem and the more light across the tank. I should have known 80% was too much too fast.

@gjcarew

pull it or keep at it?

IMG_0354.jpeg

Unless you have something else you want to go there, I'd say keep it. If it still looks so-so by the time you want to take the final photos, you can always pull it then.

• Like 3

On 8/8/2023 at 8:01 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Yeah, I think pumping all the extra light chucked that balance right out the window 😬

Is there a lot of off-axis light in the setup causing issues when you went from 2 --> 3 fixtures?  "light bleed" essentially, but not in the traditional sense.

1.png.52c253400064e9d13dc98a8fb72fea98.png

These lights have the shades on the front and back of the lamps, but I'm not sure if not having those shades on the left/right of the lamp is causing issues for you.  Hopefully the sketch makes sense.

Are you seeing "excessive algae" in those locations where the lights overlap (if they do)?

On 8/8/2023 at 6:55 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Is there a lot of off-axis light in the setup causing issues when you went from 2 --> 3 fixtures?  "light bleed" essentially, but not in the traditional sense.

1.png.52c253400064e9d13dc98a8fb72fea98.png

These lights have the shades on the front and back of the lamps, but I'm not sure if not having those shades on the left/right of the lamp is causing issues for you.  Hopefully the sketch makes sense.

Are you seeing "excessive algae" in those locations where the lights overlap (if they do)?

Mostly were the overlap is and it’s just a little bit. This, along side of the CO2 issue seems to have been enough to upset the balance. I believe the extra light drove the plants in overdrive and didn’t have the CO2 to keep things rolling. Immature tank also.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 11:15 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

It’s looking like reducing light was the correct move. Tank is growing again.

IMG_0384.jpeg

IMG_0385.jpeg

Those are weak p? What was the previous light - wrgb ? I really like the balance of these new lights; makes the tank really pop without mucking with the colours.

On 8/12/2023 at 4:23 PM, anewbie said:

Those are weak p? What was the previous light - wrgb ? I really like the balance of these new lights; makes the tank really pop without mucking with the colours.

Yes, but this phone overly exaggerates the colors. I’ll try to take a real camera shot tomorrow so you can get a sense of the Weak Aqua P.