Miller's Journal

On 11/25/2023 at 3:29 PM, Supermassive said:

@Mmiller2001 @JoeQ I tested GH in my tank and its exactly where I expected to be and where it has always been, between 60 and 80ppm. I use 50/50 tap and distilled to get KH and PH down. Is that too low for a moderate to heavily planted tank? Should I look for a GH booster either liquid or dry?

Between 60 to 80 of what, Thats the question!? Your GH could be made up of primarily all calcium or all magnesium. The booster suppliments both just to cover all your bases. As per picking liquid or dry thats up to you, if you go liquid you usually count pumps per gallon. For dry dosing  using a gram scale has worked best for me. 

Edit. Also your GH in your tank can be extremely diffrent than your water source on account of tank decor 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 1:29 PM, Supermassive said:

@Mmiller2001 @JoeQ I tested GH in my tank and its exactly where I expected to be and where it has always been, between 60 and 80ppm. I use 50/50 tap and distilled to get KH and PH down. Is that too low for a moderate to heavily planted tank? Should I look for a GH booster either liquid or dry?

It should be fine. But per above, knowing the individual Ca and Mg will really help. Maybe give there customer service a call and just ask them the ppm range for each.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Big change as of late. 

Substrate swap to BDBS. This was the easiest swap I’ve ever done and just kept everything running with the fish in. After the swap, I did around a 70 gallon water change. No problems until the next day, I lost the Bluetooth module on one light causing it not to function. Fixed it this morning and I’m hoping the plants get back to growing well next week.

IMG_0737.jpeg

IMG_0740.jpeg

IMG_0741.jpeg

IMG_0743.jpeg

IMG_0744.jpeg

IMG_0747.jpeg

IMG_0748.jpeg

IMG_0752.jpeg

IMG_0760.jpeg

I’m also trying two vine type plants as a moss wall. I’m liking the H. Japan and tomorrow will pull the H. Sryphellum down and spread it as much as I can.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 3

On 1/14/2024 at 12:57 PM, JoeQ said:

What was the procedure for the swap?

Removed plants, scooped substrate, used a plastic dust pan when there wasn’t a lot left in there, added the BDBS, water change and finally replanted. Did a filter clean the next day.

On 1/14/2024 at 3:13 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Removed plants, scooped substrate, used a plastic dust pan when there wasn’t a lot left in there, added the BDBS, water change and finally replanted. Did a filter clean the next day.

How was this easier than previous years? I figured maybe you found a siphon/pump system 

On 1/14/2024 at 1:16 PM, JoeQ said:

How was this easier than previous years? I figured maybe you found a siphon/pump system 

Maybe because I’ve done this several times now. But I think sand is just easier to remove and less muck.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 1:17 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

That and I wanted a bit larger grain size.

@gjcarew look familiar? Talk about slow but it’s resurrecting.

IMG_0760.jpeg

Wonderful! Java fern sp. India. I don't think it's sold commercially. It's like a normal java fern but much smaller.

It only works in high tech tanks for me, it just slowly dies in low tech. Luckily it can grow back from pretty much a bare rhizome.

It takes division very well if you decide to make more!

On 1/14/2024 at 7:54 PM, gjcarew said:

Wonderful! Java fern sp. India. I don't think it's sold commercially. It's like a normal java fern but much smaller.

It only works in high tech tanks for me, it just slowly dies in low tech. Luckily it can grow back from pretty much a bare rhizome.

It takes division very well if you decide to make more!

It literally was some rhizomes and black edges and BBA stems. My wife was like, you’re putting that in the tank? 

I’ll try splitting it up tonight and see how it does. It’s still struggling but it’s definitely unique.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not too much to report as of late. I’m pretty much just changing water and moving things around while propagating. GDA showed up again but I think it’s just going to be a short phase of it. Plants are looking decent and my water is crystal clear. I added a ton of 30ppi sponge and wonder if this is why.

IMG_0784.jpeg

IMG_0779.jpeg

IMG_0778.jpeg

IMG_0777.jpeg

IMG_0776.jpeg

IMG_0783.jpeg

IMG_0769.jpeg

IMG_0774.jpeg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 2
  • Love 5