Miller's Journal

Made a few changes but may have also killed my dwarf lilly. Added a Crypt and moved a few things around. Nothing too special as of yet. Received a cool plant and is a bit more challenging to work with. Will see how it goes, Rotala Tulunadensis.

IMG_0838.jpeg

IMG_0837.jpeg

IMG_0835.jpeg

IMG_0834.jpeg

IMG_0836.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 2/6/2024 at 5:09 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

In terms of setup, I know they have a few options. Does it have to be suspended or do they have a good riser kit? I assume too strong for a 30" long x 12-18" deep tank?

The legs on the WRGB II are quite tall and it sits nicely on the rim of my tank. I would say they're about 4in tall. And yeah you can fully adjust all the LEDs down to 1%.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 4:24 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Made a few changes but may have also killed my dwarf lilly. Added a Crypt and moved a few things around. Nothing too special as of yet. Received a cool plant and is a bit more challenging to work with. Will see how it goes, Rotala Tulunadensis.

IMG_0838.jpeg

IMG_0837.jpeg

IMG_0835.jpeg

IMG_0834.jpeg

IMG_0836.jpeg

You can't kill a lilly unless you find someone to eat the bulb; don't worry it'll come back as 50 in about 6 months.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2024 at 3:37 PM, anewbie said:

I esp like the rotala - hum what is it called - oh yea blood red; a bit deeper than ha'ra.

I have that, I just hate how it wants to lay over at times. Makes it harder for a background plant.

Edited by Mmiller2001

Hum. In my low tech aquarium it hasn't laid over in 4 months; of course it grows very very slow and doesn't quite has that rich colour but straight it has stayed 😉
--
Of course in your hi-tech aquarium it probably grows a lot faster and taller. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2024 at 12:01 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I do, 3xp600’s

Nice! I love week Aqua. Not sure if you did this already but they came out with a new Bluetooth chip and it makes the ramp up/down smoother instead of it jumping to a different brightness. 

Do you use the presets or did you make your own light settings? 

Posted (edited)
On 3/20/2024 at 1:16 PM, knee said:

Nice! I love week Aqua. Not sure if you did this already but they came out with a new Bluetooth chip and it makes the ramp up/down smoother instead of it jumping to a different brightness. 

Do you use the presets or did you make your own light settings? 

I had to replace one Bluetooth chip and noticed what you say, found out a few days ago there’s a v3 chip. He sent me v2 chips when I bought them.

I use my own settings.

Edited by Mmiller2001

• 4 weeks later...

Tank update: not going well at all. At this rate, no AGA this year. It’s obviously early, but hashing out a layout isn’t going well.

Recent changes in dosing: Moved GH to about 6 degrees, Ca to 35ppm and lowered Mg to 5ppm. Reduced water changes to 50% while double dosing after water change and then 2 more doses over the week. Micros dosed 3 times a week.

Trip wall is going well and only the left side needs to be added.

I’m trying to use 2 Dutch streets but I’m not liking it so far. I do have a few plants just in the tank for future use making it look chaotic but some are in place. 5 more plants ordered and all green. Decisions will be made shortly whether to use 3 or 4 reds. 

image000000.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 4/18/2024 at 9:14 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Tank update: not going well at all. At this rate, no AGA this year. It’s obviously early, but hashing out a layout isn’t going well.

Recent changes in dosing: Moved GH to about 6 degrees, Ca to 35ppm and lowered Mg to 5ppm. Reduced water changes to 50% while double dosing after water change and then 2 more doses over the week. Micros dosed 3 times a week.

I’m trying to use 2 Dutch streets but I’m not liking it so far. I do have a few plants just in the tank for future use making it look chaotic but some are in place. 5 more plants ordered and all green. Decisions will be made shortly whether to use 3 or 4 reds. 

image000000.jpeg

You said it is not going well but it looks pretty decent to may novice eye.

• Like 2

On 4/18/2024 at 9:14 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

image000000.jpeg

You are far too hard on yourself.  I know it isn’t what you’re looking for but it’s still gorgeous.  You always seem to manage to pull it together and I have complete faith you will again!

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 8:25 PM, Odd Duck said:

You are far too hard on yourself.  I know it isn’t what you’re looking for but it’s still gorgeous.  You always seem to manage to pull it together and I have complete faith you will again!

Thank you. Still have a lot of time left as well. Hopefully it comes together soon and I’m not up against the deadline.

• Like 1

A little early to be throwing in the towel, isn't it?!

Plants are looking healthy, that's half the battle. I think replacing one of the reds with either a bright yellow or orange plant could be nice, like didiplis diandra or ammania pedicellata.

I like that you have lots of different "shapes" in your planting. It really leads the eye around the scape. Can't wait to see it grown in more!

• Like 1