Miller's Journal

On 1/23/2024 at 8:32 PM, Supermassive said:

So incredible it made me laugh.

Is it the lighting that makes it look so good or having super clear water, or are both very important? It looks incredibly vibrant compared to my tanks.

It’s the lighting. Quality RGB lights are a must to have the colors really pop. Clear water helps too.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2024 at 7:17 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

IMG_0784.jpeg

The brightness of that stem at the bottom of the photo is special.  It's almost.... powerful or something as a foreground plant because of how red and intense the stalk of the plant is.

Just wanted to note that if you ever decide to use that in future in that type of a placement.  (not too many up close shots, but it's one I think that could be visually striking)

I saw a video from stevescapes on youtube where he's starting to break down method for his contest tanks.  I just wanted to mention it off hand in case it's something you're interested in checking out.  I believe last time he came second in the world in his contest tank.

On 1/23/2024 at 7:17 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I added a ton of 30ppi sponge and wonder if this is why.

Substrate change?

On 1/23/2024 at 10:43 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

The brightness of that stem at the bottom of the photo is special.  It's almost.... powerful or something as a foreground plant because of how red and intense the stalk of the plant is.

Just wanted to note that if you ever decide to use that in future in that type of a placement.  (not too many up close shots, but it's one I think that could be visually striking)

I saw a video from stevescapes on youtube where he's starting to break down method for his contest tanks.  I just wanted to mention it off hand in case it's something you're interested in checking out.  I believe last time he came second in the world in his contest tank.

Substrate change?

Ha, that myrio grows 12 inches in 7 days. There’s no way I’m keeping up with that as a foreground plant 😆

I would imagine less clear water as the substrate is so immature, but who knows.

• Like 2

Random thought.

Since the judges were so, . . . judgy about the amount of fish in the tank last time.  Maybe you could try startling them a bit so some are hiding for your next contest photo.  That might get enough out of sight that they won’t mind.  😆 

• Haha 3

On 1/24/2024 at 11:22 AM, Odd Duck said:

Random thought.

Since the judges were so, . . . judgy about the amount of fish in the tank last time.  Maybe you could try startling them a bit so some are hiding for your next contest photo.  That might get enough out of sight that they won’t mind.  😆 

😆 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 12:22 PM, Odd Duck said:

Random thought.

Wouldn't be easier to just paint them green so they blend in with the plants ?

• Haha 2

On 1/25/2024 at 11:51 AM, Supermassive said:

@Mmiller2001 Can high end lighting be used with a rimmed tank and a lid without hanging it? And if your just doing low light with no CO2 would it be a waste to get a quality LED?

You definitely can use them with lids. And most come with legs to use them on rimmed and rimless tanks. 

Is it a waste with low light and no CO2? For me, that answer is no, but everyone’s budget is different. That said, if I was staying easy easy plants and no CO2, I would go Finnex Planted ALC on a simple timer or dimmer like @Pepere uses. I think they have a bit more contrast than the others, gives you a bit of adjustment and are much cheaper and more bang for the buck.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1

@Mmiller2001 Thank you very much.

I think it might be worth it to get one of the Week Aquas based on the prices I'm seeing. For some reason the 30" finnex I need is really expensive on amazon.ca and I would have to pay a lot of shipping and import fees to get one from amazon in the US. Ill look into some more. Thanks for the suggestions.

On 1/25/2024 at 2:09 PM, JoeQ said:

concentrate on plant nutrition, and how to 'keep healthy water'. Understanding that is the backbone of the planted tank. The importance of light is an overexaggerated aspect that matters mostly when it comes to your plants/fishes aesthetics

The tank I'm getting the light for doesn't have a light right now. I'm not trying to pick a light that will help my plants I'm just trying to pick one that looks good in a reasonable budget. The tank is in the kitchen so everybody is going to see it so I'm considering buying a nicer light for it. Still looking into it though.

On 1/25/2024 at 12:11 PM, Supermassive said:

I think it might be worth it to get one of the Week Aquas based on the prices I'm seeing. For some reason the 30" finnex I need is really expensive on amazon.ca and I would have to pay a lot of shipping and import fees to get one from amazon in the US. Ill look into some more. Thanks for the suggestions.

The tank I'm getting the light for doesn't have a light right now. I'm not trying to pick a light that will help my plants I'm just trying to pick one that looks good in a reasonable budget. The tank is in the kitchen so everybody is going to see it so I'm considering buying a nicer light for it. Still looking into it though.

I agree with @JoeQ completely, these higher end lights are for aesthetics but able to push insane PAR at the same time. You won’t need a lot of PAR with low energy tanks, but if you went with WA, it will handle anything you could want as you grow in the hobby. 

I will say lights is where I’ve wasted the most money. Had I just gotten the WA or Chihiros the first time, I would have saved hundreds of dollars. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 2:11 PM, Supermassive said:

No troubles, I didn't want you falling into the trap I did, and spend a lot on different lights (for the same tank) because the light "couldn't grow plants well......"  The lights weren't the problem, it was me and my lack of knowledge. 

• Like 1

@JoeQ I'm trying to learn more but I feel like my learning has slowed a lot since the beginning. I think I've got most of the general beginner info from YouTube and now I don't really now where to get more information other than asking on the forum. I actually did read a book about aquascaping too, which really is incredible for me lol.

What are some of your favorite sources for learning about aquatic plants?

On 1/25/2024 at 12:39 PM, Supermassive said:

@JoeQ I'm trying to learn more but I feel like my learning has slowed a lot since the beginning. I think I've got most of the general beginner info from YouTube and now I don't really now where to get more information other than asking on the forum. I actually did read a book about aquascaping too, which really is incredible for me lol.

https://barrreport.com/threads/the-estimative-index-of-dosing-or-no-need-for-test-kits.52/

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 2:39 PM, Supermassive said:

I have no standard sources, (sources should change according to your goals). I tend to drift around and try to find reputable sources that produce results towards a small goal, rinse & repeat! Trying to reach lots of small goals of "trying to do it better" add up to a big goal without even realizing it! 

Baby steps! 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 8:39 PM, Supermassive said:

This might sound a bit weird weird but in my personal  experience, once I got most of the beginner stuff under my belt, I started getting information from the tank itself. Sit with it and see what happens. Sooner or later you'll notice specific things which you will be able to put in concrete questions, which you then can ask either the tank itself or the internet.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/25/2024 at 2:32 PM, Supermassive said:

@Mmiller2001 I'm going to have read that several times to really understand it but my brain is already processing after the first read. 

It seems like CO2 injection is your best friend. It makes it much more of a formula.

It makes everything easier. I’m trying to find it but he says to cut EI dosing down to a quarter to 1/3 for non co2 injected tanks. While reading, remember it was written a while ago but still great information.

On 1/25/2024 at 5:19 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

It makes everything easier. I’m trying to find it but he says to cut EI dosing down to a quarter to 1/3 for non co2 injected tanks. While reading, remember it was written a while ago but still great information.

"I generally use about 6 to 1 slower uptake rate ratio for non CO2 tanks but the fish loading can change this ratio. Basically the non CO2 tank grows 6-10x slower than a CO2 enriched tank."

I was going to go off that for my uptake and dosing. I don't remember him saying specifically how much less to dose for non CO2.

• Like 1