Miller's Journal

On 1/25/2024 at 5:19 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

It makes everything easier. I’m trying to find it but he says to cut EI dosing down to a quarter to 1/3 for non co2 injected tanks. While reading, remember it was written a while ago but still great information.

Here it is on the nilocg website (knew I read that somewhere too)

Screenshot_20240125_201241_Brave.jpg.025c0d9d8ee4d5e3083f5f30576cec88.jpg

This screen shot was taken at this link: https://nilocg.com/pages/dosing-information

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 8:26 PM, Supermassive said:

I've been looking at lights for a couple hours. Currently I'm thinking I will get a Twinstar B or C series. They aren't crazy expensive and they seem readily available in Canada. A lot of the other brands I wasn't able to find.

S series is the better option with Twinstar . Look at the WeaknAqua L series before going all in on Twinstar.

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2024 at 11:27 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

S series is the better option with Twinstar . Look at the WeaknAqua L series before going all in on Twinstar.

The S series is well outside my budget. I could probably squeeze in the Week Aqua if it wasn't for the $80 shipping.

I appreciate the recommendations.

On 1/25/2024 at 9:35 PM, Supermassive said:

The S series is well outside my budget. I could probably squeeze in the Week Aqua if it wasn't for the $80 shipping.

I appreciate the recommendations.

Seriously, if I had a smaller tank L series WA would catch my eye. Bit more narrow and a bit less watts but basically the same as the Pandora series. Take your time though, dont rush it.

On 1/25/2024 at 9:38 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Seriously, if I had a smaller tank L series WA would catch my eye. Bit more narrow and a bit less watts but basically the same as the Pandora series. Take your time though, dont rush it.

Google Aqua rocks Colorado and see what shipping they have.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 11:38 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Google Aqua rocks Colorado and see what shipping they have.

$100 😂

plus most likely import fees

I will keep looking into it. Thanks for helping me.

Edited by Supermassive
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 11:38 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Would the higher wattage lights just be good for the future if I wanted to high light with CO2?

On 1/26/2024 at 5:42 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Yes

I see your point about saving money in the long run but I just cant afford something in the $350+ price range.

So I'm still looking at the Twinstar C series most likely. I see one website has a Chihiros WRGB for only $250. $100 cheaper than any other website but its out of stock. Also seems to good to be true.

• Sad 1

@Mmiller2001 I might be able to convince my mom to split the cost of the Chihiros WRGB Slim. Its about $380 CAD vs 280 for the Twinstar C series. Also I'm guessing you want the light to be the same length as your tank and not shorter right? Or could you pick a shorter one if its higher watts? I'm looking at the 90cm lights. So if a 60cm will work well on a 90cm tank I could most likely get the 60cm Chihiros.

On 1/26/2024 at 10:26 AM, Supermassive said:

@Mmiller2001 I might be able to convince my mom to split the cost of the Chihiros WRGB Slim. Its about $380 CAD vs 280 for the Twinstar C series. Also I'm guessing you want the light to be the same length as your tank and not shorter right? Or could you pick a shorter one if its higher watts? I'm looking at the 90cm lights. So if a 60cm will work well on a 90cm tank I could most likely get the 60cm Chihiros.

Ideally you want one near to or full length but you could raise it higher to spread the light. And if you working with lower light plants, I see no issues if it was shorter.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 12:45 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Ideally you want one near to or full length but you could raise it higher to spread the light. And if you working with lower light plants, I see no issues if it was shorter.

Its a taller tank, 29 gallon, so I think it would already get decent spread on the bottom from that height. Besides hanging it I'm not really sure how I would elevate it more than just having the legs.

I do only have low to medium light plants so I think it could work. Also it would probably be better to get a shorter light if I wanted to do a rimless tank in the future.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 6:13 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

It literally was some rhizomes and black edges and BBA stems. My wife was like, you’re putting that in the tank? 

I’ll try splitting it up tonight and see how it does. It’s still struggling but it’s definitely unique.

Yeah it was in rough shape when I sent it to you. Really doesn't do well in low tech, which is where I had it. I'm glad you kept it alive, pretty sure I lost all the rhizomes I had.

On 1/23/2024 at 7:17 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Not too much to report as of late. I’m pretty much just changing water and moving things around while propagating. GDA showed up again but I think it’s just going to be a short phase of it. Plants are looking decent and my water is crystal clear. I added a ton of 30ppi sponge and wonder if this is why.

IMG_0784.jpeg

IMG_0779.jpeg

IMG_0778.jpeg

IMG_0777.jpeg

IMG_0776.jpeg

IMG_0783.jpeg

IMG_0769.jpeg

IMG_0774.jpeg

I need to get a low-iron aquarium, and probably clean out my filter. That's stunning!

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 3:01 PM, Supermassive said:

Ive already told myself I have to get one for my ten gallon at some point 😂

Now the headache begins, you will try to convince people why they should spend more (on lights), and an onslaught will tell them they are wasting their money. You and I will continue to know the truth!

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 2:06 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Now the headache begins, you will try to convince people why they should spend more (on lights), and an onslaught will tell them they are wasting their money. You and I will continue to know the truth!

In terms of setup, I know they have a few options. Does it have to be suspended or do they have a good riser kit? I assume too strong for a 30" long x 12-18" deep tank?

On 2/6/2024 at 3:09 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

In terms of setup, I know they have a few options. Does it have to be suspended or do they have a good riser kit? I assume too strong for a 30" long x 12-18" deep tank?

My old Chihiros had legs, had to buy a hanging kit. They have adjustable intensity.

• Thanks 1