Miller's Journal

On 5/15/2023 at 6:56 AM, anewbie said:

I wanted to mention a new crypt i picked up that on the surface seems quite nice:

Cryptocoryne Pontederiifolia Red Lips 

-

I've only had it for about 2 1/2 weeks so it is too soon to declare long term growth pattern but colour wise it is slightly deeper than Jacobensii pink and has the leaf shape of a pontederiifolia. 

Here is an awful picture - the leaf below the one i circle is in critical focus but that how it goes - i can take another one later when i get home if you want:

xx.jpg.e01adf6b067cc6291371b70b04431750.jpg

Nice, keep me updated on it. Especially the growth speed.

I introduced 3 Clown Plecos some weeks ago. Does this look like pleco damage too you guys?

PXL_20230516_154219500~2.jpg

Happened almost over night. 

Other suspects could be the snails, which has never happened or my SAE. My Oto's?

PXL_20230516_154601604~2.jpg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Sad 1

My bn plecos do not eat plant but they hang on or under large leaves. This does not look like the damage done to my leaves when they do. 
Both pond and bladder snails are generally plant safe for healthy plants. If plants start the dying process they can sense it before we see in and start eating plants. Also if they are hungry enough they will decimate live healthy plants to avoid starvation. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 11:47 AM, Guppysnail said:

Snails definitely will eat healthy plants before starving. Pleco will if hungry enough I guess but my pork chops are never starving 🤣

Thank you. I'm going to pull the Plecos out just to rule them out. I've never had my pond snails eat healthy plants but it's possible I introduced some different kinds. The Plecos will be the easiest to get out for now.

On 5/16/2023 at 12:08 PM, Guppysnail said:

I would think there’s a chance you introduced the plecos now they are outcompeting your snails for food maybe. It amazes me just how much my piggy plecos eat. 

Both could be starving. I have near zero algae and the SAE eats all the wafers.

Someone ate my two year old blyxa nov (an expensive set of plants); I suspect it was a bunch of baby bn pleco but i suppose it could have been the panda gara - who knows - someone. My mystery snail (single snail) ate all my pearl weed and it was a forest - didn't take him long at all to munch through it all. thankfully he leaves my horn worth alone - though i think i kind of preferred the pearl weed.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 8:44 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

I introduced 3 Clown Plecos some weeks ago. Does this look like pleco damage too you guys?

I would argue against it just because I don't think they can support themselves on those leaves.

Mine barely leave the wood or go into the lighted areas of the tank.  They crave to be camouflaged.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 7:30 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I would argue against it just because I don't think they can support themselves on those leaves.

Mine barely leave the wood or go into the lighted areas of the tank.  They crave to be camouflaged.

I really hope it's not the snails. I'm screwed if it is. 

• Sad 1

On 5/15/2023 at 7:56 AM, anewbie said:

I wanted to mention a new crypt i picked up that on the surface seems quite nice:

Cryptocoryne Pontederiifolia Red Lips 

-

I've only had it for about 2 1/2 weeks so it is too soon to declare long term growth pattern but colour wise it is slightly deeper than Jacobensii pink and has the leaf shape of a pontederiifolia. 

Here is an awful picture - the leaf below the one i circle is in critical focus but that how it goes - i can take another one later when i get home if you want:

xx.jpg.e01adf6b067cc6291371b70b04431750.jpg

Oooh, I want some!

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 11:07 PM, Odd Duck said:

Oooh, I want some!

Remind me in 6 months; if it spreads i can send a few out - of course if it withers and die - you will have to find another source 😉

It was inexpensive so i expect the former to the extent of becoming a weed. Now on to my pet peeve why can't stores sell some of these more interesting plants - why do we keep finding the same 'junk' 😉

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 8:05 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

You can pinch Repashy powder underwater and it coats the things so the snails have something to eat.

Yesterday I learned there are 4 different kinds of SAE's sold in the trade. 2 of which will eat plants as adults. They are incredibly difficult to identify and as such, I'm rehoming him Tuesday. He's going into a 220. So he should be quite happy. 

So hopefully, this will free up some algae for the snails if they are the culprit. The other sites I visit are suspecting it's this type of SAE and he's the culprit.

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/crossocheilus-langei/#:~:text=Members of Crossocheilus are characterised,jaw via a thin membrane

Scroll down to the Notes section if you want to read about them.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2023 at 9:21 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Yesterday I learned there are 4 different kinds of SAE's sold in the trade. 2 of which will eat plants as adults. They are incredibly difficult to identify and as such, I'm rehoming him Tuesday. He's going into a 220. So he should be quite happy. 

So hopefully, this will free up some algae for the snails if they are the culprit. The other sites I visit are suspecting it's this type of SAE and he's the culprit.

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/crossocheilus-langei/#:~:text=Members of Crossocheilus are characterised,jaw via a thin membrane

Scroll down to the Notes section if you want to read about them.

Yes - and one of the four LOVES bba 😉

More precisely: crossocheilus langei

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 7:21 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

What are the ones you have?  I see SAE and False SAE mixed up all the time.

https://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/Articles/cyprinid/

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 5/21/2023 at 12:49 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

@gjcarew my understanding is wood in Dutch scaping isn't considered in the plant count if no plants are attached. But, if plants are attached, does the wood get counted. Example, a piece of wood with say moss attached counted as 2 plants or 1 plant?

1 plant, the moss would be the plant 

• Thanks 1