Miller's Journal

On 8/12/2022 at 10:43 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Fingers crossed, I've had zero success with Java and Anubia. I think the secret is in the light. I don't know how he got the overhanging look either.

The overhanging look is what makes it so cool. It gives the entire mass of fern a sense of motion sort of like green star polyp coral waving in the current. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 11:48 AM, Patrick_G said:

The overhanging look is what makes it so cool. It gives the entire mass of fern a sense of motion sort of like green star polyp coral waving in the current. 

Unfortunately, this tank was decommissioned and the journal stopped. It was a short journal too. I asked him how he did it, but no response yet 😐. He did have a plant list though. 

Screenshot_20220811-122821.png

• Like 3

Just so you are aware if you take a high-tech tank and turn off the co2 it will shock the plants and you will have a lot of melting - you might consider trimming them massively before turning off the co2 - not sure what happens if you gradually reduce co2.

-

I find anubia do a *lot* better in low light - think par 10-30; and are less likely to get algae.

The pro should have some advantages of better balance with the white led; alternatively another light to look at are the ghl 7006/7004. These are a bit nicer for wide tanks since they have greater coverage; they are also quite strong and have a better selection of led and finally they are insanely expensive. The coverage of the 7004 is 2ftx2ft uniform and the 7006 3ftx2ft; this compares to hydra 32 (freshwater) which is 2ft x 2ft but the light is much stronger in the middle. The wrgb has not great coverage on the sides.

On 8/12/2022 at 3:50 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I will be removing all the current plants and replace them with the above list and a few others I'm looking at. If I can convince my wife to let me swap the substrate back to sand, it will be a complete redo.

Of the plants you listed only the dwarf sag might be a bit maybe ish. Also it is extremely slow growing in a low tech tank - i have some in my 10 - and it definitely grows but it would take a year+ to carpet the tank (if i let it).

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 1:50 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I will be removing all the current plants and replace them with the above list and a few others I'm looking at. If I can convince my wife to let me swap the substrate back to sand, it will be a complete redo.

Which tank are you doing this in?

On 8/15/2022 at 11:32 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Sticking with the chihiros. I'm going to drop everything by 3/4 initially. So light and nutrients a quarter of what they are now. I will start with a 12 hour light schedule with long ramp up and down.

I run mine around 35% and that is still pretty strong on an 18 inch tank. I run them 9 hours but 1 hour ramp up and another hour ramp down.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 10:41 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

I'm going to start using my Nikon to take photos so I can learn this thing. My editing software is "odd", so if you can let me know how these look I would appreciate any details you could offer.

What software are you using?  After Effects?

I'm looking at these two photos for reference. I don't know if both with the same camera or not. I assume settings have been changed slightly.

On 5/25/2022 at 10:41 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

40 5.25.22 edited.jpg

On 5/28/2022 at 4:28 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

1675327031_PXL_20220528_2309550743.jpg.2a9009cf944979db18be0c698d8622d7.jpg

The first picture is a bit more "emotional" in terms of the aesthetics of it.  I am drawn towards that contrast and the pops of color that seem to stand out moreso.  The background is difficult to see just due to light coverage, but the redness of the fish is a highlight for me (especially compared to the second image). If you look at the two plants in the center of the tank, there is this very delicate muted red coloration along with the sage-like veins showing in very good detail in this shot.  Having those two details in the final image you decide on seem to be where my eye lingers on the photograph.

In the second photo it's much stronger lighting across the plants and the balance is a little better compared to the first one.  It's a warmer image.  It shows heavy yellow hues and the green is a bit more subdued because the lights show off those details a lot more.  The center of the tank is very interesting, texturally and those three plants in the middle are so different from one another, but also very different than the rest of the tank.  It's a very interesting focal point and again, one of the highlights for me.

If you split the difference between these two photos, I think you'll have the shot you're looking for.

Here is the side by side of what I'm drawn to. Especially the foreground on the left side.
image.png.7417bc6a72b06b65f1494627ea4f6444.png

Edited by nabokovfan87

I should also mention how different this tank looks lol. I may have something special, as far as I'm concerned lol. Can't wait to finally show it to the Journal. 

My Dutch street has grown too tall and I will be redoing it Tuesday. One week of growth should be enough! I hope!

On 8/21/2022 at 2:17 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

ORD but very cool stuff.  I haven't heard of that program before.  Hopefully the feedback above is helpful!

It is for sure, thank you.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 2

On 8/21/2022 at 1:19 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I should also mention how different this tank looks lol. I may have something special, as far as I'm concerned lol. Can't wait to finally show it to the Journal. 

My Dutch street has grown too tall and I will be redoing it Tuesday. One week of growth should be enough! I hope!

Ah, very interesting!  How do you handle trimming with something like this?  Do you trim it and then take photos for competition or do you trim, let it get new growth and then take photos?

On 8/21/2022 at 2:21 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Ah, very interesting!  How do you handle trimming with something like this?  Do you trim it and then take photos for competition or do you trim, let it get new growth and then take photos?

It definitely depends on the plant. Some plants respond to a good hair cut and grow back bushier. Some have to be removed and the bottoms removed. I then replant those nice tops. The challenge is to get them all to look nice and clean without growing too much and not look freshly cut.

Here's a good example of trimming the tops only. I will loose points for this mistake, but it's too late to fix it. I can only hope the replanted stalks down low can fill in on time. I should have trimmed lower but failed. So top is trimmed and lower topped and replanted. Look how bushy the top is compared to tops replanted lower.

This picture was taken just now.

PXL_20220821_203329160~3.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I will not be entering the AGA. Just tried to finalize the tank for pictures and ruined it. Also, some algae popped up and I refuse to enter on that principle alone. 

I want to thank gjcarew for all the help, getting this far was not possible without you. I sincerely thank you. 

I took a shot during maintenance last week and this is the best picture I can offer that represented the design.

Thank you all who followed and supported me. This journey was tough and it sucks I can't enter.

I was going to title this "The Hand of Carew". Unfortunately, my hand ruined it 😁.

IMG_20220905_162231.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 4

On 9/9/2022 at 3:21 PM, Odd Duck said:

Even if you don’t consider it up to show quality, it’s still a gorgeous tank!  I would be thrilled to have such a beautiful tank and I congratulate you on for all your hard work and on producing an amazing tank!

Thank you. The Myrio I ruined, the left back corner plant, is almost grown out in the 75. I will remove it and drop it back in this tank for a "could have been picture". I'll also explain what happened in the last week before the deadline that lead up to the disaster.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 6:51 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

You mentioned sand for this tank, so you're using inert substrate?

I'm using Eco Complete currently and switching to sand or river pebbles would look nice. I prefer sand look wise, but I have to convince my wife to do it!

On 9/9/2022 at 6:51 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

Are you going to use drift wood to tie the tridents to, to get that weeping effect?

I would like to. It would need to be select pieces though.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 2