Miller's Journal

On 4/18/2022 at 10:41 AM, anewbie said:

Do you think the reactor played a role in the algae or was it just one of the changes you made ?

The cause was the ammonia spikes from the soil. I got lazy on water changes. 

The reactor was noisy, underpowered by the weaker 2215 and inconsistent results while the filter slows down over time between cleanings.

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2022 at 9:09 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

I wanted to wait a bit to confirm and I can confidently say this tank is 100% cured of the massive algae outbreak. 

Here's what I did:

I want to mention that I was pulling handfuls of string algae out of the tank every 7 days.

I initially was spot dosing H202@15ml per 10gal and it kind of worked but just came back by weeks end.

I removed the Eheim 2215 and replaced it with an Eheim 2217.

I added an Eheim spray bar pushing back to front.

I removed the CO2 reactor and went back to an inline diffuser.

I dropped light to about 50% but still ran it for 8 hours.

I lowered dosing to NO3 8.34ppm, PO4 3.15ppm, K 12.63ppm and .4Fe Proxy (weekly dose).

I saw a small improvement and so I cut the tank down to almost no plant mass to remove most of the final amounts of string algae.

All dust algae is gone as well. I have not cleaned the glass in 2 weeks.

All the shrimp I added died and I also added 1 SAE. The SAE initially couldn't help, but now I think he/she is doing a great job.

Thank you @Seattle_Aquarist and @gjcarew for the multiple pieces of advice.

This tank will now become a plant repository. 

Algae Cured 40.jpg

Much improved, good for you @Mmiller2001!  As I have said, I avoid doing any sort of gravel vac with the exception of occasionally doing along the front glass if detritus or algae build up below the substrate level.  Even then I remove and dump the water, never returning it to the tank and I try to disturb as little substrate as possible.  The Siamese Algae Eater, Crossocheilus oblongus, should keep hair algae under control.....if it starts to look skinny put in 1/4 algae wafer once a week or so.  -Roy

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 4:38 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Much improved, good for you @Mmiller2001!  As I have said, I avoid doing any sort of gravel vac with the exception of occasionally doing along the front glass if detritus or algae build up below the substrate level.  Even then I remove and dump the water, never returning it to the tank and I try to disturb as little substrate as possible.  The Siamese Algae Eater, Crossocheilus oblongus, should keep hair algae under control.....if it starts to look skinny put in 1/4 algae wafer once a week or so.  -Roy

I feel like not doing the gravel vacuuming played a huge roll in getting this under control.

On 4/18/2022 at 10:46 AM, Patrick_G said:

It's looking really nice. What's this plant? 
28F786AB-D5DB-42BD-9686-344A1A70EBFA.jpeg.e869bdcfb8cc9d8f484b0447a25c6e08.jpeg

S. Belem

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 3

On 4/18/2022 at 12:09 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I wanted to wait a bit to confirm and I can confidently say this tank is 100% cured of the massive algae outbreak. 

Here's what I did:

I want to mention that I was pulling handfuls of string algae out of the tank every 7 days.

I initially was spot dosing H202@15ml per 10gal and it kind of worked but just came back by weeks end.

I removed the Eheim 2215 and replaced it with an Eheim 2217.

I added an Eheim spray bar pushing back to front.

I removed the CO2 reactor and went back to an inline diffuser.

I dropped light to about 50% but still ran it for 8 hours.

I lowered dosing to NO3 8.34ppm, PO4 3.15ppm, K 12.63ppm and .4Fe Proxy (weekly dose).

I stopped gravel vacuuming. Only hovered over the substrate.

I saw a small improvement and so I cut the tank down to almost no plant mass to remove most of the final amounts of string algae.

All dust algae is gone as well. I have not cleaned the glass in 2 weeks.

All the shrimp I added died and I also added 1 SAE. The SAE initially couldn't help, but now I think he/she is doing a great job.

Thank you @Seattle_Aquarist and @gjcarew for the multiple pieces of advice.

Yay! That’s awesome! Hmm I already never gravel vac my tank… @Seattle_Aquarist and @gjcarew do either of you have any insight about algae outbreaks in low tech tanks? If so, I can tag you in a different post with details.

On 4/18/2022 at 6:20 PM, Hobbit said:

Yay! That’s awesome! Hmm I already never gravel vac my tank… @Seattle_Aquarist and @gjcarew do either of you have any insight about algae outbreaks in low tech tanks? If so, I can tag you in a different post with details.

I think @Mmiller2001 is being generous with his credit. The sum of my advice was keep the tank clean and make sure the plants are growing well.

Keeping the tank clean entails:

- manually remove algae

- clean the filter (or at least prefilter)

- clean the substrate 

- spot treat with H2O2/ excel as needed

Grow the plants:

- try to keep a high plant mass (more than 70% of substrate space when viewed from above)

- boost CO2. If you can't/won't, adjust the lights low then slowly increase intensity 

- use some kind of plant fertilizer

- remove old and dying leaves on plants to encourage new growth 

- If the plants still aren't growing, ask @Seattle_Aquarist 😆

Since this has always worked for me, I don't really have more tips. If you want to take a deep dive look up Tom Barr's tips on dealing with algae. This video is also a gold mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/18/2022 at 5:20 PM, Hobbit said:

Hi @Hobbit

What I can say about algae outbreaks in low tech / non-CO2 tanks is it is typically the result of too much nutrients and/or too much light - either too intense or too long a photoperiod.  I did a 10 gallon planted tank with Safe-t-sorb substrate, light nutrient dosing, weekly water change, low light intensity (PAR@40-50), and a photoperiod of 6 hours.  Practically no algae .... this was the result.  Yes, that is Pogostemon helferi (left foreground) growing in a low tech tank. -Roy
1799289784_2013-10-1710Gallon001CroppedAdjSnSm.jpg.a90440640a0a786072f297f64802a852.jpg

Edited by Seattle_Aquarist
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 4/18/2022 at 6:19 PM, gjcarew said:

try to keep a high plant mass (more than 70% of substrate space when viewed from above)

This is key, and often overlooked

On 4/18/2022 at 6:19 PM, gjcarew said:

remove old and dying leaves on plants to encourage new growth 

Yes! Those half brown leaves are not in going to heal, they need to be trimmed. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 10:46 AM, Patrick_G said:

It's looking really nice. What's this plant? 
28F786AB-D5DB-42BD-9686-344A1A70EBFA.jpeg.e869bdcfb8cc9d8f484b0447a25c6e08.jpeg

It's a bit expensive, but his plants arrive like they look in the pictures. FYI 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/727333915/3-stems-syngonanthus-belem-live-aquarium?click_key=7cb962f8819d99081a5f7000d5a7fd224a4da14e%3A727333915&click_sum=0100af84&ref=shop_home_active_3&frs=1&crt=1

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2022 at 10:34 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Interesting sounding plant. The description of native habitat suggest it would do well in black-water tank.

On 4/19/2022 at 10:42 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

The trick to this plants is low pH. 6, and lower is better.

I think i'll try it next year when is setup my blackish water tank with a target ph of 5.5 - it is meant for some interesting apisto (probably elizabeth but maybe cf persona); it isn't really going to be blackwater - just low ph 😉

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, everyone. In terms of keeping at least 70% of the tank covered with plant mass, can I substitute floating plants for planted ones with the same effect? Part of the issue is I only have slow growers in my problem tank because the fast growers keep dying. 😛

Edited by Hobbit

On 4/19/2022 at 11:35 AM, Hobbit said:

Thanks for the advice, everyone. In terms of keeping at least 70% of the tank covered with plant mass, can I substitute floating plants for planted ones with the same effect? Part of the issue is I only have slow growers in my problem tank because the fast growers keep dying. 😛

You can for sure. One plant I recommend is Hygrophila Polysperma. It's a fast growing stem that works well in low energy or high energy tanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2022 at 1:19 PM, SkaleyAquatics said:

How have you found it to be keeping up with maintenance on 2 high energy tanks? 

Honestly, I'm ready to sell my 2 20 gallons. I love working in the tanks but I have a few other projects that are just not allowing to keep aquariums in the "hobby" category. I would be perfectly happy just having the 40 and 75. Luckily my wife helps on water change day and we can complete 50% water changes on all within about an hour and half.

Dropping the 2 tanks honestly sounds really good to me.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 12:50 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Honestly, I'm ready to sell my 2 20 gallons. I love working in the tanks but I have a few other projects that are just not allowing to keep aquariums in the "hobby" category. I would be perfectly happy just having the 40 and 75. Luckily my wife helps on water change day and we can complete 50% water changes on all within about an hour and half.

Dropping the 2 tanks honestly sounds really good to me.

Lucky you! I can barely get my girlfriend to fed her betta. Next year we are hoping to move into a house and I have been try to figure out how many tanks I want and how big. I want at least a 75 that is high energy but would like to go bigger than that and a least 1 other high energy tank probably in the 40 - 75 range.