Miller's Journal

Oh noooo! I was afraid that would happen. Combing, to me, sounded like a great way to rip the plant out completely. Unless you grab the plant lower down with one hand to hold it down, and comb with the other. (Pro tip from someone who used to have long hair. 😉)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2022 at 10:55 AM, Odd Duck said:

I thought the sad, little remnants at the right front were what was left.  I didn’t feel right asking about it.

Lol, new plant went into it's position.

Narrow Leaf Sag.

On 4/1/2022 at 11:06 AM, Hobbit said:

Oh noooo! I was afraid that would happen. Combing, to me, sounded like a great way to rip the plant out completely. Unless you grab the plant lower down with one hand to hold it down, and comb with the other. (Pro tip from someone who used to have long hair. 😉)

That's exactly what happened. When my wife looked away, I through the plant into the trash. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/1/2022 at 1:14 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

That's exactly what happened. When my wife looked away, I through the plant into the trash. 😁

Haha, when I rip out a plant I just don't mention it to my girlfriend and she almost never notices because she does not pay attention to my aquariums anyways. 

• Like 2

On 4/1/2022 at 12:14 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Lol, new plant went into it's position.

Narrow Leaf Sag.

That’s explains why it looks so different.  😂  I didn’t want to hurt your feelings since it looked like it had gone badly.  No point rubbing salt into the wound, after all.  😉 

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2022 at 11:45 AM, Odd Duck said:

That’s explains why it looks so different.  😂  I didn’t want to hurt your feelings since it looked like it had gone badly.  No point rubbing salt into the wound, after all.  😉 

Lol, it's okay. It was a funny moment. We just looked at each other and laughed. 

She was like, "where did the plant go." ☺️

• Haha 6

On 4/1/2022 at 1:06 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

As I watched some expensive swords melt away in one of my tanks my wife asked me about how much they were and I said," Do we really want to fight about this? How about a cup of tea instead>" And she laughed and we had a nice cup and watched Escape to the Country. 

I knew you were a smart guy!  😂 🤣 

• Love 1

On 4/1/2022 at 12:06 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

As I watched some expensive swords melt away in one of my tanks my wife asked me about how much they were and I said," Do we really want to fight about this? How about a cup of tea instead>" And she laughed and we had a nice cup and watched Escape to the Country. 

It's better that way, isn't it!

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 2:20 PM, SkaleyAquatics said:

Did you do a blackout?

So, I did nothing but stayed the course and lowered dosing. Then did a huge cut and basically was able to remove most of the algae. But let's see what happens today and tomorrow, this is 2 days before it use to get really bad. If I don't see anything, I won.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I only hope to have similar success in my 75g. Fingers crossed for you that you nailed it! I fell behind on your journal a bit. This was a great chunk to catch up on though. gives me courage to face my algae. I wish I could get ALLL of the algae out and just put it in a bucket to spartan kick it into the compost bin.

"THIS.  IS. COMPOST!!!"

Edited by Minanora
  • Haha 2

I wanted to wait a bit to confirm and I can confidently say this tank is 100% cured of the massive algae outbreak. 

Here's what I did:

I want to mention that I was pulling handfuls of string algae out of the tank every 7 days.

I initially was spot dosing H202@15ml per 10gal and it kind of worked but just came back by weeks end.

I removed the Eheim 2215 and replaced it with an Eheim 2217.

I added an Eheim spray bar pushing back to front.

I removed the CO2 reactor and went back to an inline diffuser.

I dropped light to about 50% but still ran it for 8 hours.

I lowered dosing to NO3 8.34ppm, PO4 3.15ppm, K 12.63ppm and .4Fe Proxy (weekly dose).

I stopped gravel vacuuming. Only hovered over the substrate.

I saw a small improvement and so I cut the tank down to almost no plant mass to remove most of the final amounts of string algae.

All dust algae is gone as well. I have not cleaned the glass in 2 weeks.

All the shrimp I added died and I also added 1 SAE. The SAE initially couldn't help, but now I think he/she is doing a great job.

Thank you @Seattle_Aquarist and @gjcarew for the multiple pieces of advice.

This tank will now become a plant repository. 

Algae Cured 40.jpg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 7
  • Love 3