Miller's Journal

Alright, problems problems problems. I didn't even deserve to be in the AGA, and now I'm kinda glad I messed up and decided not to enter. 

I've been overly preoccupied with other projects, and as such both tanks have suffered. Long story short I killed an Oto and nearly killed all my fish by cranking up the CO2 trying to speed up growth to finalize the 40 gallon tank. This was a huge mistake, also front loading nutrients was kind of a mistake because I didn't account for plant mass increase. Lessons learned. 

With the anticipation of changing to 75, I've kind of just let it go wild. So here's a picture of both. I'm a bit disappointed with myself for not being as strict as I used to be and my goal going forward is to reduce the amount of workload I have to put into both tanks. I hope to achieve this by reducing the maintenance needs of the 75 gallon and just focusing on the 40 gallon for next year's competition.

The 40 should have Myrio Green at the left back. That's what I ruined. I just threw spatulata there for a place holder for now. But you should be able to assume the final layout. Both tank will be torn up and redone over the coming months.

Also, in a desperate attempt to save the 40, I tore plants from the 75. So there's obvious open areas now in the 75. Oh well, if this was easy, everybody would do it.

PXL_20220912_200325864~2.jpg

PXL_20220912_200247740~3.jpg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

@Mmiller2001 You are far too hard on yourself!  Those are both gorgeous tanks that 99.99% of hobbyists would be proud to have and to say they scaped.  Even top scapers would tell you it’s a beautiful tank, even if they had suggestions or might do things differently.  Every tank is unique and yours fit that bill very well.  You are using some plants that I haven’t seen in any other Dutch styles and I love that you’re thinking outside the box even while you’re striving to meet the rules and your goals.

Sometimes life interferes with our best laid plans, but everything we do can be a learning experience, no matter how it turns out.  After watching you develop your tank, I’m completely confident that you can do this.  Just remember that it’s rare for great things to happen quickly in a tank.  The good things usually happen over time, the bad ones are the ones that happen fast.  You have a full year more experience now.  So lay out your time line, stick to it as much as you can, but be ready to go with the flow if the tank is telling you something different needs to be done.

I’ve seen you adjust mid-stream when needed, I’ve seen you learn several little tricks along the way (and thanks for sharing).  I’m sure you’ll be even better at this next year.  I can’t wait to see the next one develop.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

On 9/12/2022 at 2:30 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Alright, problems problems problems. I didn't even deserve to be in the AGA, and now I'm kinda glad I messed up and decided not to enter. 

Self-criticism can be an important tool for growth, but there's a different between being fairly critical of your own work and being unkind to yourself about about it. @Odd Duck is right, you have some fabulous tanks there. I'd challenge you to look at some pictures from when you started. You've gotten so much better at composition, trimming, and general maintenance.

Timing is always the hard part. Now you have an entire year to really nail down your best work! I'm excited to see what you do next

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Thank you both! 

But rookie mistakes right at the end erks me to no end. I'm just bummed about it. 

I was so close 😂.

For those who may find this post. Even with a good Aqua Soil or root tabs, you have to dose the water column no matter what. The plants in the 40 really suffered in the last few weeks because I was too low on dosing. I bumped light and CO2 and thought the Aqua Soil was enough to keep things good. I was wrong! Now I have some filamentatious algae and black beard popping up 😭.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2022 at 8:49 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Thank you both! 

But rookie mistakes right at the end erks me to no end. I'm just bummed about it. 

I was so close 😂.

For those who may find this post. Even with a good Aqua Soil or root tabs, you have to dose the water column no matter what. The plants in the 40 really suffered in the last few weeks because I was too low on dosing. I bumped light and CO2 and thought the Aqua Soil was enough to keep things good. I was wrong! Now I have some filamentatious algae and black beard popping up 😭.

See,you’re already that much more experienced and knowledgeable.  You’re going to kill it next year!

• Like 2

On 9/13/2022 at 6:49 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

I bumped light and CO2 and thought the Aqua Soil was enough to keep things good. I was wrong! Now I have some filamentatious algae and black beard popping up 😭.

Very cool to hear this.  I am so annoyed with my tank and the algae and trying to find the right knobs to dial.  This helps.  How will you handle getting rid of these algaes right now?  Manual removal and just adjusting back to normal fert schedule?

On 9/13/2022 at 11:03 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Very cool to hear this.  I am so annoyed with my tank and the algae and trying to find the right knobs to dial.  This helps.  How will you handle getting rid of these algaes right now?  Manual removal and just adjusting back to normal fert schedule?

I'm going back to daily dosing, reducing plant load to improve overall flow through the tank and dropping light intensity. My moss wall is pretty over grown as well. I will pull it out and start it over.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2022 at 5:00 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

I'm going back to daily dosing, reducing plant load to improve overall flow through the tank and dropping light intensity. My moss wall is pretty over grown as well. I will pull it out and start it over.

Moss sucks out CO2 like nobody's business. Watch your fish to make sure they aren't  CO2 stressed after you take the moss out!

• Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 8:59 PM, gjcarew said:

Moss sucks out CO2 like nobody's business. Watch your fish to make sure they aren't  CO2 stressed after you take the moss out!

I lowered CO2 quite a bit. I also stripped the tank down to minimal plant mass. Did a decent clean as well.

That's good info, I didn't know that.

Edited by Mmiller2001

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm looking for substrate suggestions. I want something like Carib Sea Peace River but a bit smaller pebbles. Any recommendations? I hoping for the same or similar color as peace river too. 

I'll post this separately as not many will be seeing it here.

Edited by Mmiller2001

You know i was just looking into that yesterday - there is a substrate by caribsea called jungle river sand that is approx 1/2 the size of peace river. 

When i was a  living in colorado a long time ago there was some generic cheap stuff (of course back then everything was cheap) - doesn't help you much but i would love some generic substrate like peace river at 1/4 the price as I want about 800 lb of the stuff.  Anyway i hope someone has a less expensive option up their sleeve.

Edited by anewbie

On 10/31/2022 at 1:18 PM, anewbie said:

You know i was just looking into that - there is a substrate by caribsea called jungle river sand that is approx 1/2 the size of peace river. 

When i was a lot longer living in colorado there was some generic cheap stuff (of course back then everything was cheap) - doesn't help you much but i would love some generic substrate like peace river at 1/4 the price as I want about 800 lb of the stuff.  Anyway i hope someone has a less expensive option up their sleeve.

Sounds like the size is perfect. Let me look at the price. Hopefully I won't have a heart attack. 

Thank you.

Holy cow, that's expensive.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Haha 3

On 10/31/2022 at 2:20 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Sounds like the size is perfect. Let me look at the price. Hopefully I won't have a heart attack. 

Thank you.

Holy cow, that's expensive.

same price as peace river; if petsmart sold the 40lb bags they would be cheap (their on-line is the only palce that sell carbsea cheap with free shipping (that I have found) but they don't sell it.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 12:04 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I'm looking for substrate suggestions. I want something like Carib Sea Peace River but a bit smaller pebbles. Any recommendations? I hoping for the same or similar color as peace river too. 

I don't know if you've seen it but for gravel I think ADA has theirs and it's a really cool pattern. It might catch your eye. See the image below.

The one I am using now is crystal river. It's not the same coloration but might have the particle size you're looking for. (It's a pure white large size sand)

Screenshot_20221031-150627.png

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 5:06 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I don't know if you've seen it but for gravel I think ADA has theirs and it's a really cool pattern. It might catch your eye. See the image below.

The one I am using now is crystal river. It's not the same coloration but might have the particle size you're looking for. (It's a pure white large size sand)

Screenshot_20221031-150627.png

crystal river is the same size maybe a tad smaller - i also have it in a couple of aquariums and it can be found on sale - i think i picked up 500 lbs for a decent price; but personally if i could find that jungle river stuff at a good price (or a generic) i'd much prefer it.

• Like 2

I just caught up. Your tanks were amazing and still are. We're our own worst critics for sure. I can hardly wait to see everything as we get into the new year. I'm sure you'll take a win in nerm week again! ,😊

I love your plant selections, they all look fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 4:05 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I like the look.  Maybe there is a way to stack the wood on the base in such a way it looks like a stump for the manzanita and where the manzanita is coming out of?

Visually, I really enjoy that manzanita placement across the midwater level of the tank. (the one facing to the right).

Hmm, like angled up off the back wall?

• Like 1