Miller's Journal

On 10/22/2021 at 5:19 PM, Guppysnail said:

I love my uv sterilizers. They just make it easy. Your tank is glorious.  I wish I had a tenth of your dedication to plants and patients.  Are you entering any competitions?  If not you should. 

Thank you. No, I think my wife would kill me. 😆 I spend too much money on this hobby. But...maybe a competition would convince her it's worth spending...hmm.

On 10/22/2021 at 7:06 PM, Patrick_G said:

It’s looking great! What are you replacing the filter with? 

I'm just going to remove it without replacing it. I was using it mostly for running purigen easily. I feel like the 2 Eheim filters are plenty enough with the addition of the sterilizer.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Tank is looking wonderful. How are you liking the lower macros? I imagine they are close to 0 by the end of the week, it can really bring out some great color in plants. Cool to see that working in a tank without active substrate.

I can't tell what that left side plant is-- some kind of persicaria?

On 11/1/2021 at 4:17 PM, gjcarew said:

Tank is looking wonderful. How are you liking the lower macros? I imagine they are close to 0 by the end of the week, it can really bring out some great color in plants. Cool to see that working in a tank without active substrate.

I can't tell what that left side plant is-- some kind of persicaria?

Thank you.

It's actually not too low by weeks end. I will be testing tomorrow and will have a better picture then. PO4 has been around 3ishppm and K around 18ppm.

The new plant on the left is persecaria kawagoeanum. Hope it does well. It seems to be responding today.

Edit 

I take that back PO4 is 1 to 2ppm and K is 15ppm. 

I'm glad your question made me curious. Water change day is not till Wednesday.

Edited by Mmiller2001

After some testing, and still seeing 25ppm NO3, an unexpected 1-2ppm PO4 and 15ppm K, I've decided to make some dosing changes.

Dropping NO3 to 18ppm

Increasing PO4 to 8ppm

Increasing K to 30ppm

I'm also increasing GH to 5.11  

That's 20ppm Ca@2.88dGH and 10ppmMg@2.31dGH

Miller's 75 Gallon 11.3.21.PNG

Nov Phone.jpg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

On 11/4/2021 at 12:39 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Mmiller2001its really started to reach that Dutch magic phase. Great work I know how diligent you have to be and hard it can be to do this. 

Thank you. To be honest, I never expected to get these results. I'm lucky to have found people who enjoy sharing their successes. I couldn't have done this without their knowledge.

• Like 1

So I have been using the Eheim Spray Bar for about 3 weeks now and I just love it. What a great product! It comes in 3 sections that can be angled 360 degrees. Easy to remove for cleaning, and an overall 10/10 product.

Here's 2 sections for surface agitation and 1 section blowing down juts a bit. My CO2 runs through this filter so it's nice to have one blow down through the tank.

I have also started dosing my micros 7 days a week via a solution I created. I made one to dose the 66 gallons at 15ml per day for 7 days. I started front loading nutrients so I didn't have to dose every day, and here I am dosing every day!

The 40 breeder is now a disaster and I'm getting ready for a complete redo on the tank. The male Apisto is also beating up one of the females badly, so she will be removed and placed into the 75 permanently.

PXL_20211109_161618338.MP.jpg

PXL_20211109_160522838.jpg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 3

On 11/9/2021 at 9:27 AM, Patrick_G said:

That’s good news for me then. I bought the same light for my upcoming high tech tank. Low, compact growth is what I’m after. 

This is the only unsolicited advice I will give you. Step out of your comfort zone and try plants that are considered more challenging, it's well worth it!

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 12:21 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

On 11/3/2021 at 12:21 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Nov Phone.jpg

In this picture what is the species of the red plant in the left front (not the very left but left center) ? Also what is the red/purple plant on the extreme front left and the purple/green plant next to that plant ?

Thanks

• Love 1

On 11/9/2021 at 3:52 PM, anewbie said:

In this picture what is the species of the red plant in the left front (not the very left but left center) ? Also what is the red/purple plant on the extreme front left and the purple/green plant next to that plant ?

Thanks

Any chance you could circle them?

On 11/9/2021 at 2:52 PM, anewbie said:

Hmm @Mmiller2001 I think we’d all appreciate it if you labeled all your plants! 😁

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 2