Miller's Journal

On 9/18/2021 at 5:22 PM, Tihshho said:

I'll have to dig it out, but someone used to make inline heaters, problem was the sizes. I think they were all 200W or 300W, but they had been one of the most reliable heaters I've used on small tanks.

I've thought about going that route, but never looked to intensely into it. Maybe when these break.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 12:12 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Permanently suspending the use of Excel. I see no reason to continue with it. It causes more problems by hiding the root cause.

Wise. The cause of algae has never been "not enough glutaraldehyde"

On 9/18/2021 at 1:22 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I agree, larger groups, less species seems like a path I'm going to take.

I think it looks much better. Allows you to "shape" groups as well when there is more room for them.

This is my 22-gallon when it was more Dutch-style, with only 9 different plant types. It's a 3-foot tank and towards the end I was thinking of paring it down to even fewer species.

FTS (2).JPG

Edited by gjcarew
  • Like 3

On 9/20/2021 at 4:27 PM, gjcarew said:

Wise. The cause of algae has never been "not enough glutaraldehyde"

I think it looks much better. Allows you to "shape" groups as well when there is more room for them.

This is my 22-gallon when it was more Dutch-style, with only 9 different plant types. It's a 3-foot tank and towards the end I was thinking of paring it down to even fewer species.

FTS (2).JPG

Something like that is my goal. One day, one day!

• Like 1

I spent hours on yesterday's maintenance, deep cleaned, pulled out filter, remodified my CO2 reactor and installed an Eheim spray bar. I was admiring the work, adjusting the spray bar and anxiously waiting to see how increasing CO2 dwell time would work out. It was honestly a great day until, I checked on all the linkages. Well, my inline pump is leaking, pulled it all out again to check the assembly, reinstalled and it looked okay. No go, still leaking. Bummer. I hope the downline pressure isn't too much for the pump to handle. I'm not sure what I will do if this is the case. Anyways, here's a picture. 

Dropped light intensity and double checked CO2, I am at a 1.5pH drop this morning. 

edited.jpg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

My wife is bored of her tank so we will be redoing the scape. We found some nice pieces of rock and we will be trying to create a minimal scape. In my search of rare plants, I may have found a carpeting plant for non CO2 tanks. That's what they say at least. I'm going to do a separate and limited journal just on this plant. Will it carpet in a low tech set up? Right now, I have it in my CO2 tank and it's exploding. This might be the most unique plant I have. 

For now, posting some pictures of her not so maintained jungle tank just for giggles.😆 I imagine it would be cool to look back and see an old tank.

Specs

After thought HOB filters 

Finnex Planted HLC 

Pool Filter Sand 

Thrive Fertilizer (2 pumps once a week)

IMG_20210925_125405.jpg

IMG_20210925_125358.jpg

IMG_20210925_125350.jpg

IMG_20210925_125304.jpg

• Like 4

For the first time since changing the substrate, I can say something is going very right with this tank. Today is water change day and usually have a lot of GDA on the glass. Not this week! Overall, the tank is doing the best it has ever done. I will enjoy it one more week or 2. Then it's cut way back and rearrange.

PXL_20210930_181131116.jpg

PXL_20210930_181115722.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 5

On 9/30/2021 at 12:18 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

For the first time since changing the substrate, I can say something is going very right with this tank. Today is water change day and usually have a lot of GDA on the glass. Not this week! Overall, the tank is doing the best it has ever done. I will enjoy it one more week or 2. Then it's cut way back and rearrange.

PXL_20210930_181131116.jpg

PXL_20210930_181115722.jpg

I'm back out of daily reactions, but this is gorgeous!!!!

On 9/30/2021 at 8:51 PM, Torrey said:

I'm back out of daily reactions, but this is gorgeous!!!!

Thank you.

On 9/30/2021 at 12:32 PM, Patrick_G said:

It’s looking great. Is that Ludwigia Palustris super red on the right? 

It is.

On 9/30/2021 at 12:23 PM, Tinyfellows said:

@Mmiller2001 Did you replace the eco complete? If so what did you swap to? 

It's still Eco Complete currently

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2021 at 2:59 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I love the idea of putting a UV sterilizer on a tank. It’ll be interesting to see how this impacts your results going forward. This is a great looking high tech setup something to be proud of! 

Thank you. 

I want to push my light higher but every time I do I run into problems. Hopefully, this takes care of things!

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 2:07 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Thank you. 

I want to push my light higher but every time I do I run into problems. Hopefully, this takes care of things!

It makes me smile thinking about microscopic pieces of BBA getting sucked up to their doom! So satisfying 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I will never not run an UV sterilizer going forward. Amazing! 

Little hair cut, ordered a new plant for the left corner. Will be removing the HOB permanently and the Kimberly is finally starting to look nice. 

I will need to pull out the good camera shortly. But here's a phone pic.

PXL_20211022_180318402~2.jpg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 8
  • Love 1