Miller's Journal

16 hours ago, Patrick_G said:

Everything looks great! What are the Crypts in the lower tank? 

Looks like the C. wendtii 'brown'/'bronze' variety, though I think the co-op sells the 'red' variety, if that's where you ordered your plants from. All the red/brown varieties look pretty darn similar to me, except for the 'pink flamingo' variety, which if it looks as good in real life as it does in pictures would be pretty impressive.

I wish that I could get mine to grow nice and compact like @Mmiller2001, they look great! Mine get tall and leggy and end up looking more like swords. I think it's because I use fairly moderate lighting with a long photo period. When I do my rescape, I may have to play with a higher, shorter lighting schedule, maybe with a siesta, to try to get some more compact growth.

Edited by ererer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ererer said:

Looks like the C. wendtii 'brown'/'bronze' variety, though I think the co-op sells the 'red' variety, if that's where you ordered your plants from. All the red/brown varieties look pretty darn similar to me, except for the 'pink flamingo' variety, which if it looks as good in real life as it does in pictures would be pretty impressive.

I wish that I could get mine to grow nice and compact like @Mmiller2001, they look great! Mine get tall and leggy and end up looking more like swords. I think it's because I use fairly moderate lighting with a long photo period. When I do my rescape, I may have to play with a higher, shorter lighting schedule, maybe with a siesta, to try to get some more compact growth.

For the life of me, I can't remember where I bought it. But I do remember getting some plants from co-op around when we rescaped the tank. You are probably right.

On 4/30/2021 at 5:21 AM, ererer said:

I run this tank for 12 hours too, using a Finnex Planted at around 65%ish. I think the large amount of shrimp keep any algae down. I don't think I could run that much light on the QT tank without an algae problem. No shrimp in that tank, just MTS's.

Edited by Mmiller2001

10 hours ago, BIG GREEN said:

WOW!! good job on your tanks but I like the black water tanks much better. I went away from the BW tanks also. I sterted keeping cichlids but now I find myself with a mix batch of fish and 7 tanks.....the struggle is real, I hate water changes.

I really really liked them too. And I know I will do them again, but CO² is just too fascinating right now!

Yeah, water changes are a struggle. My wife and I have worked out a work flow that gets them done pretty quick so it's not too terrible any more.

Thank you. I just wish I could scape better. I hope time works that out 🙂.

This weeks maintenance was rushed, so nothing new to report. Big hair cut on the 75 and removed the Rotala wall and all Corymbosa in both tanks. Added new plants to the 40, some crypts and a semi rare lily. Might have a new favorite plant, Potomageton Gayi.

Started my Nitrate limiting in the 75. New dose is just 5ppm per week. I also started dosing K2SO4 to compensate for K loss from KNO3 reduction.

QT fish getting better, but I'm suspecting Camallanus Worms. Going to try Metro in food, first, just in case the swelling is from stubborn tape worms. I will dose Panacur, in food, if that doesn't work. 

Both low tech tanks are doing well, plants look good, no changes.

Post removal and haircut.

Post Hair Cut.jpg

Post Haircut 2.jpg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Betsy said:

Your lily (in the second photo especially) makes me want to try lilies again!  Beautiful tanks!!! 😍

Thank you. I'm trying to convince my wife to let me remove the lily so I can fit other plants in, but she won't let me! 😆

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mmiller2001 said:

Thank you. I'm trying to convince my wife to let me remove the lily so I can fit other plants in, but she won't let me! 😆

I don't blame her!!!  It's epic! 😂👍👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trish said:

@Mmiller2001That is a nice piece of drift wood... fish store or did you source it yourself.   I'm envious!

Fish store. It was on their shelf for a year and I asked for a discount every time I went in. They would never budge. One day, I walked in and they said 10% off, I bought it on the spot. Funny thing is, I still go ripped off! :classic_blink:

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 2

I went nuclear on my QT fish. I'm thinking Camallanus worms as they are still bloated and a tiny red area around the anus.

Here is the recipe I used.

~1TBS Freeze Dried Daphnia

1/8 TSP Fenbendazole

1 1/2 Scoops Seachem Focus

1 Pinch Epsom Salt

1/2 Cap Garlic Guard

1/2 Cap RO water

Soaked for 30 minutes and then frozen

Feeding once a week for 3 weeks

Fingers crossed!

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1

Making adjustments to dosing this week. I've noticed a lack of growth (not really a problem). Plants look healthy overall but the 40 has a bit of BBA

75 Gal

5ppm NO3

5ppm PO4

15.21ppm K

.53ppm Fe+trace

40 Gal

12ppm NO3

5ppm PO4

19.63ppm K

.51ppm Fe+trace

Might remove all Dwarf Sag., I don't want plants that melt if I want to use Excel. 

Added LOBELIA CARDINALIS to the tank, conveniently, the Amano shrimp have eaten most of it. Might remove all Amano's from the tanks. Are they starving? This is a new behavior for them, and there are only 4 or 5 in the tank.

Overall, the 75 looks okay, the 40 needs work. pictures weren't that great but I'll post anyways.PXL_20210519_151524560.jpg.8904fbe9362a337c3861404346eb82fc.jpgPXL_20210519_151730199.jpg.ba4496aa48172e0d3557009873d2eb3c.jpg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 2

Have a bit of a conundrum going on, the nitrate limiting doesn't seem to be going well. The plants seem stunted and wispy. Would a change in dosing amounts cause this to happen or is it the new amounts themselves? 

I wonder if I should just keep on keeping on!

If you look at the new growth on the Rotala, you can see that it's turning red a bit. I just wonder if it's worth it to continue!

PXL_20210523_015156672.jpg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 2
  • Love 1