The new fish room and studio build thread.

Cory

• Administrators
8 hours ago, quirkylemon103 said:

that looks nice 🙂

any plans for larger tanks besides the 800? 

None currently. Large tanks are expensive and a lot of work, and not always more fun than smaller tanks. 

@Coryyou must be having a blast with all the progress that is being had (well.. that is.. tempered with the stress too).  🙂  When I was a kid, my parent bought a "new to us" house so that they could eventually store my Dad's Snap-on truck in a garage. The house had two 2-car garages that were set at 90 degrees from each other.  They literally cut the front 8-10 feet off one of the garages, and built a two story high "truck" garage in between.  This allowed Dad to park his truck at home, out of sight, per county regulations.. the bonus was not ever having to go outside in the snow to find him at dinner time.  The downside?  Shoveling a driveway that was 4 cars wide in Wisconsin winters.  LOL.  🙂

Anyway, due to my his entrepreneurial spirit I've come to appreciate anyone who can make a go at being a small business owner... and fulfilling their expansion dreams. Keep up the great work!  You are definitely doing something right!  🙂  Thanks for sharing the progress!

• Like 2

• Administrators

Garage door boarded up while we wait for the replacement. This allows us to keep putting up the tongue and groove.

while removing dry wall we found a big mouse/rat nest. This in combination with rodent activity in the attic means we are removing all the insulation up top, sterilizing, sealing up any holes and re insulating. We already needed to insulate the sky lights as they didn’t have any, and with the fish room humidity that would have just lead to mold. 

7BEB47AC-B390-4351-965A-5661437D59EC.jpeg

B91BBED2-FB9E-4BAB-B5F2-D60D0284E008.jpeg

• Administrators

Today the insulation was removed where the mouse nests were. New electrical run in that wall.

Removal of old hvac system started today as well.

Finally most of the big room is completed for tongue and groove.

0131F369-8DD1-4031-ABB9-077F1A2F7DA7.jpeg

15EF22B1-BECF-4AC7-BDBD-E22BAB0462FA.jpeg

8501EFAC-02C5-44AB-8682-7189AE83C39E.jpeg

On 10/27/2020 at 11:17 PM, Cory said:

Garage door boarded up while we wait for the replacement. This allows us to keep putting up the tongue and groove.

while removing dry wall we found a big mouse/rat nest. This in combination with rodent activity in the attic means we are removing all the insulation up top, sterilizing, sealing up any holes and re insulating. We already needed to insulate the sky lights as they didn’t have any, and with the fish room humidity that would have just lead to mold. 

7BEB47AC-B390-4351-965A-5661437D59EC.jpeg

B91BBED2-FB9E-4BAB-B5F2-D60D0284E008.jpeg

Those thermometer guns we all have now are great for figuring out what needs more insulation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any plans on what fish you are going to try to breed in the new fish room. With all that space you will be able to try some new spices in the mini ponds. Are you going to set up any tanks? If so are you going to set up auto water change? Are there any fish you are looking forward to play with?

• Administrators

I plan to breed lots more livebearers. I’ll have auto water change setup, but plan to run it as auto top off instead of changes really. For minimal water use as the ponds I have now don’t get water changes.

the species I’m most looking forward to is mollies currently as I think they will really thrive in the harder water compared to my soft water now that raises ph with crushed coral.

still moving forward slowly, found a new leak at one of the skylights so need to have that repaired before we can put insulation back in.

1F5244BF-A9AF-45D3-8CB8-70322CBA996C.jpeg

• Administrators
On 11/4/2020 at 10:10 AM, quirkylemon103 said:

can you think of any way to have auto brine feeding?

I have a system designed just not tested it. Haven’t tried to automate since my last attempt about 5 years ago at the store.

pic of stain starting to go up on the walls.

43B9318C-A64F-4C40-A4DD-70B7E8F4D185.jpeg

• Administrators

Spent the whole weekend working on it. Got flooring mostly done. Installed one of the desks and made 3 tables and a coffee table as well. Made some good headway.

Need to mop and clean up the new floor but more people will be in and out as we continue to work on it.

758E195D-24D7-4BD0-930E-4E79CE917CDB.jpeg

19579332-8496-4499-9345-05092643E005.jpeg

81ACED9B-BC0A-4793-8E2F-F13B702375FF.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Cory said:

Spent the whole weekend working on it. Got flooring mostly done. Installed one of the desks and made 3 tables and a coffee table as well. Made some good headway.

Need to mop and clean up the new floor but more people will be in and out as we continue to work on it.

758E195D-24D7-4BD0-930E-4E79CE917CDB.jpeg

19579332-8496-4499-9345-05092643E005.jpeg

81ACED9B-BC0A-4793-8E2F-F13B702375FF.jpeg

Am wondering if the room has a central floor drain?  Also, some large wooden ceiling fans would be a nice touch.  Lots of room for many wonderful possibilities.  The project is really taking shape.  Nice job...  I helped my brother build a good portion of his home and it's very gratifying having seen the accomplishments, every day, as well.