The new fish room and studio build thread.

Cory

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, DaveSamsell said:

Am wondering if the room has a central floor drain?  Also, some large wooden ceiling fans would be a nice touch.  Lots of room for many wonderful possibilities.  The project is really taking shape.  Nice job...  I helped my brother build a good portion of his home and it's very gratifying having seen the accomplishments, every day, as well.  

No central floor drain. We are going to attempt to take the water on the outside of the building. As for fans we'll see what is needed after the mini splits are installed and the HRV.

On 11/16/2020 at 11:05 AM, Cory said:

Spent the whole weekend working on it. Got flooring mostly done. Installed one of the desks and made 3 tables and a coffee table as well. Made some good headway.

Need to mop and clean up the new floor but more people will be in and out as we continue to work on it.

758E195D-24D7-4BD0-930E-4E79CE917CDB.jpeg

19579332-8496-4499-9345-05092643E005.jpeg

81ACED9B-BC0A-4793-8E2F-F13B702375FF.jpeg

@CoryIn love with this table/shelving. I need to know where you got this!

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 9:17 PM, Cory said:

Garage door boarded up while we wait for the replacement. This allows us to keep putting up the tongue and groove.

while removing dry wall we found a big mouse/rat nest. This in combination with rodent activity in the attic means we are removing all the insulation up top, sterilizing, sealing up any holes and re insulating. We already needed to insulate the sky lights as they didn’t have any, and with the fish room humidity that would have just lead to mold. 

7BEB47AC-B390-4351-965A-5661437D59EC.jpeg

B91BBED2-FB9E-4BAB-B5F2-D60D0284E008.jpeg

dang that gross and kinda cool 🙂

@Cory I just finished the new Nerm Only update video.  WOW. Just WOW. What you have envisioned and how far its come along in such a short time is insane.  I cant wait to keep following along and watch the videos that come out once complete. Congratulations. I am SO happy for you and the team.

On 11/18/2020 at 5:41 PM, Cory said:

I purchased it on Etsy. Lots of craftsmen on there make this type of stuff. 

I love the look of these too--they go well with the wood walls and semi-industrial look of the flooring. This is clearly going to be an awesome space!

9 hours ago, Kriskm said:

I love the look of these too--they go well with the wood walls and semi-industrial look of the flooring. This is clearly going to be an awesome space!

Agreed, the design of these leans into the "tubes and pipes" aspect so common to fish rooms, and "really ties the room together." 😉 

• Like 2

On 10/28/2020 at 12:17 AM, Cory said:

Garage door boarded up while we wait for the replacement. This allows us to keep putting up the tongue and groove.

while removing dry wall we found a big mouse/rat nest. This in combination with rodent activity in the attic means we are removing all the insulation up top, sterilizing, sealing up any holes and re insulating. We already needed to insulate the sky lights as they didn’t have any, and with the fish room humidity that would have just lead to mold. 

7BEB47AC-B390-4351-965A-5661437D59EC.jpeg

B91BBED2-FB9E-4BAB-B5F2-D60D0284E008.jpeg

Well that wasn't good. Charlie

I was thinking about the tank size choices for the new room. It would be cool to have some of the sizes that correspond to your "Best X for Tank Y" videos and articles, so maybe a pair of tens, a pair of twenties, and then go bigger. You would have several example tanks to point to in videos.

• Administrators
20 hours ago, Streetwise said:

I was thinking about the tank size choices for the new room. It would be cool to have some of the sizes that correspond to your "Best X for Tank Y" videos and articles, so maybe a pair of tens, a pair of twenties, and then go bigger. You would have several example tanks to point to in videos.

Unfortunately that doesn't interest me.  Keeping aquariums I'm not interested in doesn't work out well.  I haven't decided the tank sizes yet, but I do know that doing it for any other reason that for what I enjoy will just end up failing. 

24 minutes ago, Cory said:

Unfortunately that doesn't interest me.  Keeping aquariums I'm not interested in doesn't work out well.  I haven't decided the tank sizes yet, but I do know that doing it for any other reason that for what I enjoy will just end up failing. 

That makes sense. What is the minimum tank size for you these days?

Thanks again for sharing the progress!

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

That makes sense. What is the minimum tank size for you these days?

Thanks again for sharing the progress!

20 Gallons I think, I have considered doing a bunch of them. I haven't committed to anything yet. Mostly cause I haven't had time.

I was watching the Thanksgiving livestream last night and got ridiculously and childishly excited when @Cory showed the forum posts on this thread and paused on one of my comments!   Eeek! 🙂  It really is the little things!

I love the progress pics and am so envious of all of that gorgeous wood paneling!  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I was watching the Thanksgiving livestream last night and got ridiculously and childishly excited when @Cory showed the forum posts on this thread and paused on one of my comments!   Eeek! 🙂  It really is the little things!

I am trying to nudge @Cory to read questions off the forum during the livestreams and mention that the question was from the forum when he reads it. I know it is really difficult to look at multiple monitors (including the chat rushing by) and somehow seamlessly hit all of your cues.

The upside is, if questions were to be identified as coming from the forum, it would drive even more traffic to the forum. This could be a double edged sword though. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I am trying to nudge @Cory to read questions off the forum during the livestreams and mention that the question was from the forum when he reads it. I know it is really difficult to look at multiple monitors (including the chat rushing by) and somehow seamlessly hit all of your cues.

The upside is, if questions were to be identified as coming from the forum, it would drive even more traffic to the forum. This could be a double edged sword though. 

It might have to be a forum specific event.. the questions seem to scroll by pretty quickly in the regular livestream. And I agree that it might be a double edged sword... I do not want to deny the knowledge of the forum to anyone, but I value the community as it is now, if that makes sense. 

• Like 2