The new fish room and studio build thread.

Cory

• Administrators

The concept is, plumb the back flush valve on a fx6 straight to a drain. Inbetween the filter and the drain put a solenoid. Then, Dean through he remembered he read somewhere that if you close one of the valves, it does essentially a powered flush. We'll be exploring this. We can then use a solenoid on the say return line, have it close, so the pump, pumps water out the back flush port. If this method doesn't work on the powered version, I plan to use a kasa wifi timer to turn off the filter for say 5 minutes, open the valve to allow water to drain from the canister daily. Then top off with the auto water change after.

The goal would be, with daily flushing, maybe I could have an extended time between cleaning. Hopefully like 6 months or longer.

On 3/17/2021 at 11:24 PM, Cory said:

The concept is, plumb the back flush valve on a fx6 straight to a drain. Inbetween the filter and the drain put a solenoid. Then, Dean through he remembered he read somewhere that if you close one of the valves, it does essentially a powered flush. We'll be exploring this. We can then use a solenoid on the say return line, have it close, so the pump, pumps water out the back flush port. If this method doesn't work on the powered version, I plan to use a kasa wifi timer to turn off the filter for say 5 minutes, open the valve to allow water to drain from the canister daily. Then top off with the auto water change after.

The goal would be, with daily flushing, maybe I could have an extended time between cleaning. Hopefully like 6 months or longer.

That will work, especially on suspended solids that settle out. However it will promote a certain amount of biofilm. A slime that bacteria produce to protect themselves. Whether that slime will slough off or you will have to go after it mechanically or chemically will have to be seen. 

In the long run I think you guys have a good plan and are testing out methods that should be very helpful to the hobby in the future. Thanks. 

On 3/10/2021 at 2:17 AM, Cory said:

Water auto filling in the 40 breeders today. All 12 ready to go minus substrate.

BF571202-331B-485F-9CAD-47F92EF1B833.jpeg

Gotta say - I love this open concept look with the tanks a lot more than the in-wall ones in the old fish room. I'm assuming it was a space issue with the previous/current one. But, man....you hit it out of the park with this.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cory said:

800g moved to the new studio today. Working on plumbing.

43243DE1-C698-4F2E-B2A5-C715BF83B882.jpeg

You know you're going to build one of those custom 2000 gallon setups right? Like if you're not putting in a dovii tank like Mel are you even really in the hobby?

• Like 1

• Administrators

We got the initial water flowing into it, drain almost done. Ordered some more filtration parts, and the sound panels for the stand cover showed up as well. So hopefully this week we can put some more work on it. Slow and steady will hopefully produce the results I'm looking for.

The aquarium will look small on the stream, I'm ok with that. My plan is to have a much larger field of view for the viewers, with more things to look at than just 1 aquarium. This will be especially useful when I have guests.

1 hour ago, Cory said:

We got the initial water flowing into it, drain almost done. Ordered some more filtration parts, and the sound panels for the stand cover showed up as well. So hopefully this week we can put some more work on it. Slow and steady will hopefully produce the results I'm looking for.

The aquarium will look small on the stream, I'm ok with that. My plan is to have a much larger field of view for the viewers, with more things to look at than just 1 aquarium. This will be especially useful when I have guests.

I've been wondering when you were going to move that beast. Glad you made it with no damage. I was wondering, what ever happened to that massive Dojo you got a few years ago? Also, what do you plan to stock with this time? I really enjoyed your last stock list for that tank. It inspired me to get a school of clown loaches, they are so awesome to keep and watch. 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Patrick_G said:

I really like the look of those flat black overflow fittings. Are those something available local here in the Seattle area? 

I'm not sure what part specifically you're talking about. All the elbows are made from black PVC, the top part is a flat type bulleye strainer. In the pic above, those are just holes that don't have their overflow installed yet.