What did you get done today?

Cory

On 12/12/2021 at 10:47 PM, CalmedByFish said:

Today, for the first time, I have a berried shrimp.

Congrats! I hope she has many small and successful offspring!

Today I repotted a recently store-bought China Doll. I was able to split it into four distinct plants, hoping it's not too disrupted by the root trauma.

@eatyourpeas, following your puget sound biotope with interest, so cool to see those creatures up close!

20211215_113826.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/15/2021 at 7:36 PM, Guppysnail said:

I could not agree with this more. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks they're creepy! 😂 I wouldn't say it about someone else's critters (spiders exempted), but these specific critters of mine give me the heebie jeebies, even while I really do enjoy them.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 12/15/2021 at 8:36 PM, CalmedByFish said:

but these specific critters of mine give me the heebie jeebies, even while I really do enjoy them.

They sometimes give me the heebie jeebies. I saw one that looked like it had no head. Then, I noticed his head but it looked like he was tailless. But then I realized that he was kind of folding in half. He almost gave me a heart attack. 😆

• Haha 1

On 12/15/2021 at 9:36 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks they're creepy! 😂 I wouldn't say it about someone else's critters (spiders exempted), but these specific critters of mine give me the heebie jeebies, even while I really do enjoy them.

Mine like to crawl on my hand while in working in the tank. They FEEL CREEPY too 🤣 but like you said they are mine so I love them. 

• Haha 2

Asked the spouse for some help with the tanks today.

I'm still not cleared to even pick up a gallon of water yet... and evaporation doesn't care.

So spouse kindly helped by carrying gallon jugs and carefully pouring them into the turtle pond, and the 10 gallon tanks.

Everyone else can wait a bit longer to get topped off.

Turtle had fun playing in the kiddie pool while I did maintenance cleaning of the turtle enclosure. Karma used to be so small, she could barely get her front legs on the 2nd indentation up from the bottom. 

Now, she's grown so much she can peer over the edge😳20211216_180924.jpg.42c556585cd1029858eacadfc2c30aaa.jpg

Turtle toes are the cutest things to me🥰

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Last night, after years of seeing only java fern and anubias for sale at my local chain stores, I spotted a clump of Hygrophilia difformis and snatched it up. I planted it in several places around my 40B and after 24 hours it seems to all be doing okay. I'm really looking forward to the leaves starting to lobe out.

I was especially happy to see a snail trail going around the plants instead of through them, since my hercules snail usually likes to rearrange my plants if I happen to put them in his way.

IMG_20211216_154715__01.jpg.68bdabd33867b315044a544606ef49e1.jpg

There are seven different species of plants in this picture! (The tank has an eighth if you count the few pieces of duckweed that are still hanging around.)

Edited by drewzero1
auto(in)correct
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I've had so many extended power outages recently (one was 36hrs, another was 16hrs, both within a month) and I have lost so much sleep and several fish during them. 😔

Some were fry that were born just before the outage and it's super sad, but the good news is that it has sparked some creative problem solving in me for future outages and I thought I would share some pictures of it here. A couple of my tanks wearing their winter coats! ❄🧥🌱🐟🌱🧥

The insulation is the packaging I get from Imperfect Foods grocery delivery pretty much every week. I love this because this stuff would otherwise just be waste. It's great there's even a little sticky strip I can use to stick to the glass. In addition to that, I'm using some adhesive velcro and masking tape rolls.

I wasn't sure why I was stockpiling these insulators, and now I know why. I feel like such a crazy nerd genius. 🤓💫  Hopefully it helps if we get more outages in the future!

Happy Holidays to everyone from Yuns at Yuns' Aquatics! 🌱🐟🌱

20211217_110458.jpg

20211217_110141.jpg

20211217_105507.jpg

Edited by Yuns Aquatics
  • Like 6

On 12/17/2021 at 3:24 PM, Yuns Aquatics said:

I've had so many extended power outages recently (one was 36hrs, another was 16hrs, both within a month) and I have lost so much sleep and several fish during them. 😔

Some were fry that were born just before the outage and it's super sad, but the good news is that it has sparked some creative problem solving in me for future outages and I thought I would share some pictures of it here. A couple of my tanks wearing their winter coats! ❄🧥🌱🐟🌱🧥

The insulation is the packaging I get from Imperfect Foods grocery delivery pretty much every week. I love this because this stuff would otherwise just be waste. It's great there's even a little sticky strip I can use to stick to the glass. In addition to that, I'm using some adhesive velcro and masking tape rolls.

I wasn't sure why I was stockpiling these insulators, and now I know why. If feel like such a crazy nerd genius. 🤓💫  Hopefully it helps if we get more outages in the future!

Happy Holidays to everyone from Yuns at Yuns' Aquatics! 🌱🐟🌱

20211217_110458.jpg

20211217_110141.jpg

20211217_105507.jpg

Yes! That does make a difference!

I have also used the bubble wrap to add an extra layer of insulation under the silver, and in the winter it keeps the tanks warmer (and electric bill down) and in the summer it helps keep tanks cooler.

A few USB nano air pumps from the Co-op to run AC sponge filters, and hopefully you won't lose any more fish or fry.

• Like 2

I put together a 5 gallon betta tank last night. I'm moving within the next few months, but had the itch to start something new... hence, a (second) desktop tank! With a particularly sassy male veiltail.

377363694_Betta1.JPG.cfdc267a530be228d654de3a3eda8151.JPG

513693244_Betta2.JPG.6e68ab9e93e8bdde70d7c41354ebf5ae.JPG

1202970714_Betta3.JPG.4bb0ce4e9acc1b7082bb55ac3b17ceaf.JPG

5959785_Betta4.JPG.310a227da8f260a1f195b77ec074099c.JPG

I added two nerites for clean-up, a couple of nice-looking ramshorns for the visuals, and a handful of cherry shrimp to see if this guy is shrimp-safe. So far, so good.

Also, here's an obligatory flowerhorn pic. He's practically yelling to be showered in affection. And food. Mainly food.

1263512797_Nanaue2.JPG.8d28ca912a6078c5985987ae1dd4890d.JPG

Edited by Chris
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Removed snails manually from one tank and put them in another.

Trimmed leaves from my giant sword and aponogeton because I could not see my fish to the point where it took me ten minutes to locate one of my mollies, including checking the floor, moving furniture and accusing the cat.

Netted my 2 month old "whale guppy" fry out of the 20g high and tried to sex them. There were only six of them and two had gravid spots so those were easy. 

These last four. Hmmm. No gravid spots but my big yellow female doesn't have a dark spot either, just peach colored when full. They all have some tail color but the moms also have tail color. So, I'm  guessing and will watch what happens when I put them in the males only tank. The slightly older fry I added to the males tank recently really started showing color fast once they were in there with all that masculinity.GuppyFry.JPG.e33617d79de04164fdd9e8d1f0e68e6b.JPG

• Like 3

I tried boiling some broccoli florets to feed the fish today - here's the opinions I got from my tanks:

• The Flowerhorn didn't like it. He was super stoked at first, but spit it out pretty quickly. He likes peas, though. The pleco in the tank likes it, so no clean up was necessary.
  • The Cherry Shrimp and Mystery Snails like it! But they'll eat anything, and the broccoli is pretty messy...
  • The Betta from the pics above likes it a lot, actually. I threw a chunk in there for the nerites, but he's eaten a bunch of it. He likes peas too!
  • The Otocinclus in the Pea Puffer tank dig it!

So... a success, I think! Super, super messy though. Maybe I just boiled it too long, but it fell apart pretty quickly in the tanks.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2021 at 7:05 PM, Chris said:

I tried boiling some broccoli florets to feed the fish today ... Maybe I just boiled it too long, but it fell apart pretty quickly in the tanks.

I wonder if it would work to just use the stalks instead of florets... says someone who's never given their fish fresh veggies. Just a thought.

• Like 1