Rinsing Baby Brine Shrimp

umfalcon

Hello everyone,

I am about to get a baby brine shrimp (bbs) hatchery going and I have a question about rinsing them once they hatch. I live in an area with tap water containing 1 to 2 parts per million chlorine. Would my fish suffer adverse affects from eating bbs rinsed in tap water containing said amounts of chlorine? Should I rinse the bbs in water pulled from one of my tanks to avoid any chlorine issues?

If you rinse and drain the BBS, the amount of chlorine in them will be negligible. I always rinse mine in tap water. (I put them into a small container with non-chlorinated drinking water after rinsing because I find the "diluted" BBS easier to dose. And drinking water eliminates the chlorine worries.) Of course, you can use your tank water for rinsing if you don't mind the extra work. 

What are you feeding? You might not need to rinse at all. I just strained through a brine shrimp net and fed, and the tiny amounts of salt never affected anything I fed.

To your actual question, no that amount of chlorine in a rinse shouldn’t affect anything.

We hatch a small amount of Artemia daily in 1x liter hatchery (we run two, and alternate days). We turn off the air, let the settle towards light or bottom, draw out with a turkey baster, then squirt through a brine shrimp net back into the hatchery. Then we dunk the netted bbs into a 1/2 gal. Lee’s large specimen container filled with tap water.  Then, set by a light, wait for the bbs to congregate by the light, and draw out with a 10-ml. syringe from WalMart with airline tubing on the end. As Daniel says, it may not matter. However, if you’re feeding certain fish / fry, the increase of conductivity via salinity can eventually pose some problems when fish (or fry) are kept in very tight quarters. 

I rinse mine. Just a habit. But sometimes I don’t if I’m lazy or in a hurry  

You could always rinse them in tank water unless you have a too many tanks to feed or don’t want to cross contaminate something from one tank to the next. 

id imagine unless your dumping like 2 quarts of brine into a 20 gallon tank 2x a day, you’ll be fine. A turkey baster or so full will probably have no impact.