Comparing New Life Spectrum Tropical Fish Diet Pellets VS Xtreme Red Krill Flakes

FrozenFins

There is no doubt in many fish keepers minds that the xtreme red krill flakes are "the best fish food on the market". And as much as I do agree that the xtreme red krill flake is really good, how about the New Life Spectrum Tropical Fish Diet Pellets. 

Lets take a look,

First 10 Ingreidents in each foods

New Life Spectrum Tropical Fish Diet Pellets 

Whole Antartic Krill, Giant Squid, Whole wheat flour, whole menahaden fish, Ulva Seaweed, Chlorella seaweed, Wakame seaweed, Kelp, Garlic, Ginger

7/10 of these ingreidents are natrual 

Xtreme Red Krill Flakes

Krill meal, fish meal, shrimp meal, wheat flour, soy flour, brewers dried yeast, sodium alginate, spirluna, soy lechitan, corn starch

5/10 of these ingeidents are natrual

Both of these quality foods have krill as there first ingreident. Krill will enchance colors in fish, especially the redish, orangeish color. New Life spectrum food has more quality/ natrual ingreidents. 

Price

Newlife Spectrum Pellet: $16.90 usad (5.3oz)

Xtreme Krill Flakes: 14.99 usad (3.5oz)

Newlife spectrum food is cheaper per the oz.

Availibility 

From my research I have found that it is hard to find xtreme food outside of USA. I live in Canada, so in my experiance it was tough finding the xtreme food after watching all the awesome reviews. Infact in order to get xtreme food you have to order off amazon.com meaning you have to pay more for shipping, if you live somewhere other then usa. 

Where as the newlife spectrum food is much easier to find outside of the usa. Its in all of the fish stores I've been to. i also know that you can find newlife spectrum food in europe and north america, not too sure about asia. 

You can get your hands on newlife spectrum food easier and cheaper then xtreme flakes. 

Conclusion 

I like newlife spectrum food better then xtreme. I find that there ingreidents are better quality then extreme and its cheaper then xtreme. and because I am a teenager in this hobby I look for the cheapest yet, best quality food. Which in my opinion is newlife spectrum. I beleive that xtreme has better marketing and advertisement and therefore is more popular. Newlife spectrum is an underated food. 

What do you like better?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Xtreme is on my list of foods to try. Haven't gotten around to it is all. I have what I consider to be a pretty large fish food collection, with that being said my fish really seem to not like new life spectrum food.

It's crazy to me. I agree the ingredients seem so top notch, I just can't get any of my fish to "go wild" for it. In fact I've watched them intently eating this food and it seems like they almost force themselves to eat it. Kinda like when mom tells you the least favorite thing you like is what you are having for dinner. You don't wanna starve but you won't enjoy it either. 

Maybe it's just me and my fish?

• Like 1

I'm sure their foods are fine but IIRC from a live stream Cory mentioned that the owners of spectrum foods were pretty rude and basically told him that feeding anything else is fish abuse. Like if you have repashy he is supposed to tell you to throw it away and use spectrum foods.

I've had success with xtreme and like the owners, good enough for me.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Fishoutawater said:

The difference between them is negligible in my opinion.just use whats more affordable and whichever the fish prefer to eat.northfin is another great option and is made in Canada so should be easily availble .

Yes I have heard of northfin, its on my list of foods to try

5 hours ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

I'm sure their foods are fine but IIRC from a live stream Cory mentioned that the owners of spectrum foods were pretty rude and basically told him that feeding anything else is fish abuse. Like if you have repashy he is supposed to tell you to throw it away and use spectrum foods.

I've had success with xtreme and like the owners, good enough for me.

It was either Northfin or New Life Spectrum, I'm not sure which.

14 hours ago, Joshua14 said:

Xtreme is on my list of foods to try. Haven't gotten around to it is all. I have what I consider to be a pretty large fish food collection, with that being said my fish really seem to not like new life spectrum food.

It's crazy to me. I agree the ingredients seem so top notch, I just can't get any of my fish to "go wild" for it. In fact I've watched them intently eating this food and it seems like they almost force themselves to eat it. Kinda like when mom tells you the least favorite thing you like is what you are having for dinner. You don't wanna starve but you won't enjoy it either. 

Maybe it's just me and my fish?

Similar experience. I've never had fish get too excited about NLS food. Xtreme is more popular with my fish for sure. 

• Like 2

I have no loyalty to any brands (or at least try not to). I find that my fish go bonkers for both the Extreme krill flakes and the mini pellet so I feed both commonly. As I can't get either locally when I slouch on getting my Coop order in I'll feed Omega One (what my LFS carries) and my fish are happy to eat that as well (just not as fast, it actually makes it to the substrate). All in all I stopped focusing on x of y ingredients and started focusing more on do my fish look healthy, do they take to the food?

So my suggestion? Listen to your fish, they'll tell you what they like and show you what works for them by looking healthy.

Ken (the one guy who had little success with Vibra bites) 😉 

I feed mostly NLS and Omega One insofar as dry, prepared foods. Like you, ingredients are priority (so long as the fish accept the food). All of my fish go wild for NLS. My archers give me a wet tee shirt lol

XTreme is on the list of foods to try since people swear by it so much. Even saw a video from a trade show where a vendor was claiming they had fish spawning eating XTreme. I take that with a grain of salt but if it's true, it's a good testament to quality I suppose.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Also, I don't know for sure if fish food is the same, but in dog food, if "whole chicken" is the first ingredient, that means that it is the largest proportion by weight - but it's also full of water. All of that water comes out to make it into dry food, so there's no real way to know the accurate proportions "as fed" - i.e. everything dehydrated and made into food. 

I had totally forgotten about the NLS story. I just bought my first container of their food in hopes that my otos would like it, but they don't and I won't buy another. I try not to support people who mistreat others.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2020 at 2:10 PM, JamesB said:

There is no doubt in many fish keepers minds that the xtreme red krill flakes are "the best fish food on the market". And as much as I do agree that the xtreme red krill flake is really good, how about the New Life Spectrum Tropical Fish Diet Pellets. 

Lets take a look,

First 10 Ingreidents in each foods

New Life Spectrum Tropical Fish Diet Pellets 

Whole Antartic Krill, Giant Squid, Whole wheat flour, whole menahaden fish, Ulva Seaweed, Chlorella seaweed, Wakame seaweed, Kelp, Garlic, Ginger

7/10 of these ingreidents are natrual 

Xtreme Red Krill Flakes

Krill meal, fish meal, shrimp meal, wheat flour, soy flour, brewers dried yeast, sodium alginate, spirluna, soy lechitan, corn starch

5/10 of these ingeidents are natrual

Both of these quality foods have krill as there first ingreident. Krill will enchance colors in fish, especially the redish, orangeish color. New Life spectrum food has more quality/ natrual ingreidents. 

Price

Newlife Spectrum Pellet: $16.90 usad (5.3oz)

Xtreme Krill Flakes: 14.99 usad (3.5oz)

Newlife spectrum food is cheaper per the oz.

Availibility 

From my research I have found that it is hard to find xtreme food outside of USA. I live in Canada, so in my experiance it was tough finding the xtreme food after watching all the awesome reviews. Infact in order to get xtreme food you have to order off amazon.com meaning you have to pay more for shipping, if you live somewhere other then usa. 

Where as the newlife spectrum food is much easier to find outside of the usa. Its in all of the fish stores I've been to. i also know that you can find newlife spectrum food in europe and north america, not too sure about asia. 

You can get your hands on newlife spectrum food easier and cheaper then xtreme flakes. 

Conclusion 

I like newlife spectrum food better then xtreme. I find that there ingreidents are better quality then extreme and its cheaper then xtreme. and because I am a teenager in this hobby I look for the cheapest yet, best quality food. Which in my opinion is newlife spectrum. I beleive that xtreme has better marketing and advertisement and therefore is more popular. Newlife spectrum is an underated food. 

What do you like better?

Well one must also factor in what fish you are feeding and what they will eat. I switch around between tetra flake, warden shrimp pellets, northfin krill pro, omega-one shrimp pellets, nls thera+ with garlic .5mm and 1mm pellets, hilarki tubix, spirunlia 20 flake (ok these only go to my guppies) and last but not least fluval bug bites. My fishes have express clear preferences (whether it is good for them or not) on what they prefer. I weened my angels off of tetra flakes for about 4 months but put some in the other days for the tetra (which find the flakes easier to eat) and clearly my angles remember their love for the flakes and swarm them. I have one angel that pretty much refuses all foods but warden shrimp pellets. My apisto pretty much reject nls and will only eat fluval bug bites. My clowns seem pretty much willing to eat anything as well as my various pleco. The krill and nls are a mix bag - some of the angels will eat them but others refuse and the apisto won't touch either one.I like to keep my angles well fed so they don't get tempted to snack on the cardinals so simply forcing them to eat something they refuse to eat is well difficult. The omega shrimp pellets are hard and the loaches don't mind chumping on them but the angles hate them. I am surprise they don't go for the krill pellets. 

-

My swordtails and guppies (third tank) will pretty much eat anything they are not picky which makes it difficult to leave algae wafers out for the pleco since they tend to swarm them.

--

Forgot to mention i also feed them repashy green from time to time - it was intended for the pleco but the clown loaches love that stuff. Also the aspito and a few other folks will nibble at it.

Edited by anewbie

• 5 months later...

Mega necro thread hehe

I've been told in another forum that the person that was rude to Cory was the newly recruited social media spokesperson for NLS, a young woman. I don't know what the hell she was thinking by saying such things but for the looks of it, the actual owner of NLS would not say such things (at least I was told that by a person who claims to know the owner of NLS (Pablo tepoot). He said he called him on the spot about the incident and pablo confirmed it wasn't him that was rude to Cory, but that newly hired girl.

He also said Cory was selling their foods for very very low, to the point of going below the MAP price (Minimum advertised price) that they specified. MAP prices are supossed to protect a product's reputation by setting a minimum price someone can sell your product. Well at least this is what he said, taht NLS wasn't happy with Cory selling their stuff for super cheap (below MAP).

@Cory I can send you the forum thread if you want, but really it sounded like the whole of NLS was very bad when it appears it was just one inexperienced person? Did the ownder actually scream at you back then? 😮

Edited by HenryC

In regards to OP I find that Omega One foods have the best meeting point in regards to three criteria I have;  easy to find (most places carry the line), good ingredients (not as many filler and uses whole ingredients instead of fish meal), price point (usually only a dollar or two more then cheaper brands like Aqueon or Tetra).   I haven't used NLS tropical foods but I have used their goldfish pellets and algae wafers with success.   

• Like 1