On 11/30/2023 at 2:19 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I’m wondering if there’s something about the peat that’s bringing my hatch rates down. The more peat I add, the less I get, but if I add practically none then entire spawns fungus. Has anyone got any ideas on how to stop eggs fungusing? 

is the peat contained or is it spread out along the bottom. Im thinking maybe if the peat sticks to the eggs it might be a problem? (just a random guess)

On 11/29/2023 at 11:19 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Black phantoms all fired up and ready to go. 
I’m wondering if there’s something about the peat that’s bringing my hatch rates down. The more peat I add, the less I get, but if I add practically none then entire spawns fungus. Has anyone got any ideas on how to stop eggs fungusing? 

If you're able to move the eggs to a tumbler or a shrimp tank or a container with methylene blue (in that order).

Bust my arm last weekend skiing. 😢 First Weekend and my pol gets caught on a tree under the snow 🤬. There goes the rest of the season…could it be natures way of telling me to stop off-pisting? 🥲

As you can imagine, I was feeling a bit blue and aquariums/school are kinda tough with one leg. No more WCs for another month and it looks like no more heavy lifting. 😑 Typing is kinda slow without one’s left arm. 

At least I had one fun day on the pistes …

Tho I can now take a ton of fish pictures 😅

Have a good one! 

IMG_4447.jpeg

IMG_4437.jpeg

IMG_4440.jpeg

• Sad 6

On 12/6/2023 at 9:33 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Tho I can now take a ton of fish pictures 😅

You take awesome pictures!  👌 I love your dog; is it male or female?  I also enjoy reading your posts. I'm so sorry to hear about your accident.  Wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Like 2

On 12/6/2023 at 9:33 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

off-pisting

I learned a new word, cool.  Growing up in Texas, we don't ski much here.  🤣  We do, however, have dirt piles or hills gettyimages-200516752-001-612x612.jpg.19c07cfeca2c8b770c082f495289fe17.jpgthat you can slide down on a piece of cardboard.  Yee haw! 

• Haha 3

On 12/7/2023 at 9:19 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Btw, I’ve got a nature-loving girl for Secret Santa and am completely stumped on what to get her. Any ideas? 😂

I don't think Miir is available there, but they make some cool stuff.

Hydroflask?  Camera stuff? Winter clothes (or gift card for that)?

When you say nature-loving, are we talking hiking, beach, forests, or?  Details might help steer direction towards specific useful things.

• Like 1

Got her a voucher for Zalando, which is kind of like an online clothes store over here. Thanks for the idea @nabokovfan87

Tank maintenance takes soooo much longer with a broken arm, but hey… I spend more time actually enjoying the tanks. Beforehand it was just scrub, vac, WC, next! 

Aiming for the clean lidless look with these guys. There’s definitely gonna be a rescape soon, and I might take the opportunity to paint the sides black. 
IMG_4514.jpeg.c4b9eed6296001e444f3235635d4f44c.jpeg

IMG_4511.jpeg.c883f718a59660171369db75b55ebd92.jpeg

WC with one hand is tough. 🫠

IMG_4497.jpeg.21ccbe65f41009596c5389354f282593.jpeg

Von Rios enjoying the Val. I think I may have found a technique for stopping the eggs from fungusing. RO water -> rain -> snow and we’ve got plenty of the latter. I’ve realized that all the eggs are fungusing a lot more ever since my dad took down our rainwater harvesting system and my tanks have been switched back to tap water. Shrimp like it, tetra eggs hate it. 😑

Btw do you guys have Xmas markets in the states? 

IMG_4459.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 12/14/2023 at 3:06 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

For trees? Yep! For Christmas type things...  Very regional and depends.

On 12/14/2023 at 3:06 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Got her a voucher for Zalando, which is kind of like an online clothes store over here. Thanks for the idea @nabokovfan87

Tank maintenance takes soooo much longer with a broken arm, but hey… I spend more time actually enjoying the tanks. Beforehand it was just scrub, vac, WC, next! 

Awesome! Hopefully they enjoy it. 🙂

Very sorry about the arm. I broke mine on a sidewalk crack one day and it was definitely an experience I haven't forgotten. 😂 

You'll be out of the cast soon!

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2023 at 6:56 PM, JoeQ said:

Wishing you a speedy recovery and looking forward to some fishy pics while you are on the mend! 

As for skiing vs sliding down a hillside on a cardboard box. 

CARDBOARD BOX ALL DAY, Yeeeeee Hawwwwww!!! 

I remember in college we went sledding in our laundry baskets. 🙂 

On 12/8/2023 at 12:19 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Btw, I’ve got a nature-loving girl for Secret Santa and am completely stumped on what to get her. Any ideas? 😂

How about a nice stick insect habitat?

On 12/14/2023 at 1:26 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I broke mine on a sidewalk crack one day and it was definitely an experience I haven't forgotten

@nabokovfan87.. like, you played hockey. And yet you broke your arm on a SIDEWALK CRACK?!  😂#iceskatesbutcantwalk

@TheSwissAquarist I’m so sorry you broke your arm. You need a pond pump with 1/2” tubing to do nice easy water changes (for the big tanks). And you can use smaller tubing (no pump) for the small tanks. Send that water out the window. Lol! Just cover the intake with a net so you don’t launch your critters through the tube! As @Guppysnail calls it, “the water slide ride”.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Haha 3

On 12/14/2023 at 5:06 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

We have these huge stores that open only during the holidays, where you can shop for Christmas lights, wrapping paper, bows, etc.  We have parades in almost every city.  Whole neighborhoods decorate and people drive through at night to see the lights.  Very festive!

Screen-Shot-2018-12-20-at-9_11.35-AM-2086276882.png.907baf203438aae7ce5b67f803a02673.pngIMG_8608-2046673531.JPG.d147378eab0eadda707b235b9797e1c2.JPGmaxresdefault-2518558681.jpg.f09347095f5c01a2e70fb23df038a2ea.jpgVitruvian-Lights-3797571598.jpg.144cabcda1a6315d0c40db87b51128e3.jpg316138_original-2760400422.jpg.365ff34362887e0b8a57261309094df3.jpgar135329763061128.JPG.3cd75e03fa63aa179de36e67807c2613.JPG5835f0b31b247.image-3311566682.jpg.ab3fa26479b558b1096d532dad6de0e4.jpgtx3-700x467-1769227224.jpg.2674818ed808673c83aff5ed40c4fe9a.jpg

• Love 5

On 12/14/2023 at 8:36 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I was playing street hockey at the time. 😉

Landed on my elbow.

Ok, see? Details help. 😂

& that sounds horribly painful. I’m sorry you went through that. If it helps, Jose Cuervo kicked my foot out from under me one time and broke it. Either that or, I tried to pull off a “star jump” (crazy dance move) and didn’t stick the landing (rolled my ankle). Jose was there though. I definitely remember that jerkface having a part in it. Idk, the details are fuzzy for some reason. That is the only time I broke something, and I did it in my living room, with a house full of like 23 people. I got to wear a fashionable space boot for the next month or so. Hawt! Also it gave me a good excuse to ride those little electric scooters at the grocery store. I especially like the beeps it makes when it backs up. 😂

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Haha 1

At least your injury stories are somewhat cool. I was playing badminton, took a step back, rolled the ankle real bad which caused me to fall and stick the hand on the opposite side underneath me and break it. I had a cast and the boot, off the ankle for 6 weeks, hand broken for 6 weeks, I looked ridiculous and someone asked me if I was run over by a subway or smth :))) and it was in the middle of a really hot summer so like 🙂 had only two fishtanks back then though

• Sad 2

On 12/15/2023 at 2:50 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I especially like the beeps it makes when it backs up. 😂

😂

Well you definitely win the more fun story. I just felt like an idiot for a bit. Not even a 'whoops", but mad I had this crack eat the wheel on my skates and whatever happened happened.

My mom worked late that night, nurse, and so she got home and went to bed. My grandma was over with us and I can inside and sat in the chair trying really hard not to move for a few hours. When my mom woke up she talked to my grandma and was pretty frustrated she didn't get woken up, but it is what it is.

I still remember that day and some of those moments in the hospital like yesterday.

Pretty sure I just played in shoes after that.

....and it wasn't even the worst injury from street hockey. (I'm a pretty awesome goalie and my shins have the dents to prove it.)

On 12/15/2023 at 3:02 AM, beastie said:

At least your injury stories are somewhat cool. I was playing badminton, took a step back, rolled the ankle real bad which caused me to fall and stick the hand on the opposite side underneath me and break it. I had a cast and the boot, off the ankle for 6 weeks, hand broken for 6 weeks, I looked ridiculous and someone asked me if I was run over by a subway or smth :))) and it was in the middle of a really hot summer so like 🙂 had only two fishtanks back then though

I learned, I failed really, really hard at life because I could not mentally or physically understand how to eat a taco left handed. Just couldn't do it. 😂

I commend you all for being able to have fish tanks with that. I could do it now, back then.... Nah. Water changes get to wait, unless we bust out the python.