Stuff you bought from a physical Mom and Pop store today thread.

Cory

• Administrators

I wanted to start a thread because I thought it is an important message to spread. Shopping in person at local mom and pop businesses instead of online. Especially our local fish stores. This thread is similar to the "what I got done today thread" except post pictures of your local fish store haul.

I love that our fans buy from us, but it is important we keep our local stores in business so that the next generations can be inspired and we have a space to run to in a time of need to get something that can't wait or just someone to spend an afternoon.

I don't have a picture yet, and I don't shop at fish stores much anymore. I do hope to add pictures of fish stores from around the world when I travel, and just good ideas I see in fish stores.

Be a part of the solution, snap a quick picture of your latest fish purchase or food etc from your local mom and pop store and share it with others. Being it's Friday, I expect some of us are shopping over the weekend 😉

Does it count if the mom and pop store is a chain pet store?  Locally owned and the husband and wife are in the store just about every day.   The last thing I purchased was 12 clown loaches at $8.79 each.  They ordered them in for me (as they often will) and then they give me the option they will call and let me pick up in original bag shipped in or they will place in the back room and hold until I get there. Either way I get a no questions asked 14 day warranty.  

• Like 2

I finally was able to get a dozen CPD's!!! I've had an order in for months and I happen to go to the store today and saw them. (they didn't call me to let me know they got them... and already sold half of them grrr, but yay fish) They also had doubled in price which also kind of stunk. 
I got some Amano shrimp and some adult brine shrimp to test as food.    

I also got some barbed tubing angles to help with my fry keeper. 
When I got home I had a big case of having to play musical tanks too. 

20220513_211424.jpg

20220513_192319.jpg

20220513_191644.jpg

Edited by BF McUmber
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I got some activated carbon from my LFS. I've been medicating one of my tanks so plan to run it after. 

I appreciate my LFS soooooo much! Idk if im allowed to say their name and where they are and such. I live in a small town in southern Minnesota. We all know there are lots of pet stores that do fish, and sometimes unfortunately all animals, very wrong. I'm lucky just to have a pet store in my small town (well, just outside of town) let alone one that is this good. They do an amazing job of supplying quality products as well as rotating some interesting fish with their limited space. There's been times when I thought I might have to order something more unusual online only to find out they got it in the next day! Mind readers!  I have never had a fish I got from them die on me (knock on wood).  I trust any info they give me not only because I know they are knowledgeable but (and i find this VERY important) they are willing to admit if they DONT know something. 

What makes me appreciate them even more is there IS and 2nd LFS in town that is quite the opposite. I do not trust that one and have only ever had 1 fish survive from there. Knowing that would be my only option if this one didn't exist makes me truly grateful!  

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 2

I am lucky enough to now have 3 LFS within an hour of our place.

I went in for the Prime,  came home with plants plus Prime (but can't find the picture of the plants, just the picture of the prices I used to help me budget)

20210621_144526.jpg.e2ff1de0f1e597aa3820488d753858e1.jpg

Their show tank.

20210621_144407.jpg.97ae2ed30c10bfecc582967d673d89aa.jpg

292769136_20210621_1444072.jpg.10242179e8a54388791c14c1381d3e41.jpg

20210524_132026.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The other day I went in for frozen foods and some homemade algae wafers and came home with a special order of something I'd been on the lookout for. 

Just picked up a group and they are starting to get settled.PXL_20220512_173213826_MP.jpg.543053f6658c046226ed4cef25ca3cdf.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Even though it is not my LFS, it is as local as it gets! I was visiting San Francisco and made a point at stopping at Ocean Aquarium. @Cory et all did a video on this gem, and it was worth getting there and spending time with Justin and Ady. Justin even pointed out the little place that Dean likes to sit at and chat about fish. I wish I could have stayed longer! I could not buy fish, but got some great pieces of wood and came out a lot wiser!

image.jpeg.5cd9084230ff258dfb2ab109c749ecb5.jpeg

Ady in the shop:

image.jpeg.5c2b91a11f66b4ee5d64377c558bc628.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 3

I bought live brine shrimp. They sell it in bags at the register. How convenient is that for those of us without a hatchery?  My tetras were so excited to have a live treat.

Also bought spiderwood.

On 5/14/2022 at 3:23 AM, MAC said:

The other day I went in for frozen foods and some homemade algae wafers and came home with a special order of something I'd been on the lookout for. 

Just picked up a group and they are starting to get settled.PXL_20220512_173213826_MP.jpg.543053f6658c046226ed4cef25ca3cdf.jpg

What type of fish is it?  Looks betta-ish?

• Like 4

On 5/17/2022 at 12:26 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I bought live brine shrimp. They sell it in bags at the register. How convenient is that for those of us without a hatchery?  My tetras were so excited to have a live treat.

Also bought spiderwood.

What type of fish is it?  Looks betta-ish?

It is a betta I believe they are either imbellis or smaragdina. I am not super well versed in bettas.

When I can't find what I am looking for at the Co-op I like to visit Aquarium Zen. They have all the weirdly shaped tanks I could desire and some of the more off the wall equipment I like. I really prefer shopping at local businesses if I can help myself. They really are the backbone of our community!

• Like 1

From my local shop I bought a nano fluval heater! I've used this exact model in my shrimp tank and dont have any problems so i figured i would buy it again. 

From a local online shop thats located in Winnipeg (same city as me!) I purchased some plants for a new r imless 5 gallon. They are a small buisness that a local hobbyist in ourclub runs in his basement. I've been supporting this buisness for the past year + and have loved every purchase I receive. I love supporting local business, especially those with aquariums or fish.

image.jpeg.1984c9f5c79f1eea2dd90de2dc569e1b.jpeg

• Like 5

I try and shop at Aquarium Co-op if possible, but they don't always have what I'm looking for. Luckily we have some friendly LFS that support the greater Seattle aquarium society. 

On Sunday we hit one old school shop to pick up the puffer. I also bought some Buce and some aquascaping stones. 

021119A4-5CFB-453B-8A56-5D8663A75C1B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 8

Tangentially related, I've not been in here in a few weeks what with surgery and lack of funds, but our "local" (a one-hour drive is about the best I'm going to get) fish store recently, I want to say back in January, changed hands; it had been Fish 'n' Phipps, but Mr. Phipps wanted to retire and this other guy, Jason, had experience running fish stores and wanted to buy the business. Well, they've finally got their new website up. It's a little sparse, but it's a nice step in the right direction. https://jasonstropicalfish.com/

• Like 1

I went to three local stores this morning. Bought some repashy to try at one and some black phantom tetras at another. I'm seriously considering going back the the one I didn't get anything from for some mystery snails in a few weeks...

PXL_20220521_184937835.jpg

PXL_20220521_184841335.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Not truly local, but definitely mom and pop for my most recent purchase.  They haven’t even shipped yet (Monday or Tuesday of next week), but I got my high coverage koi angelfish that will go into the 100 G angelfish tank after their 4 week minimum quarantine.  Mix of regulars and veils, slightly larger than quarter size bodies for a great price for the quality of fish from this breeder.  Now if I could just get my pea soup to clear.  Why do I always manage to get pea soup in my display tanks?!?  🤦🏻‍♀️ 

Edited by Odd Duck

On 5/14/2022 at 2:23 AM, MAC said:

Is this a licorice gourami?