How did you discover Aquarium Coop

Patrick_G

Youtube algorithm. I have a slight preference for a couple of smaller fishtubers now, but I go out of my way to support Aquarium Co-op specifically because the employees are paid a living wage. I take pretty much every opportunity to throw money at the store and youtube channel because of that. The community is pretty great too. 

I received my first fish tank as a birthday present last October and had no idea what to do with it. I think Aquarium Co-Op kept coming up in Google searches so I made my way to the site and somehow found the forum. Thank you, Google! I don't know what I'd do without this wonderful group of people! 

Probably about 8 years ago, I had been keeping saltwater reef tanks for quite a few years, and wanted to set up a planted tank which I hadn't kept in a lot of years, so was doing some research on what the new tech was and came across the co-op YouTube channel and started watching a bunch of the videos. Followed along as Cory built the fish room out at his old house, and the different fish etc he kept and bred. 

YouTube is where I found Co-Op.   I'm not even sure what got me watching tropical fish vids in the first place since I hadn't kept any fish since the late 70s, but it was like finding an old friend from my childhood. 
I started off watching Co-Op and KGTropicals, and ended up much preferring Cory's accepting personality vs. some of the more heavy handed videos I was seeing on KG.    From there I found Dean, looked for more videos on other channels with Dean, and now I follow numerous fish folks! 

• Like 1

You tube.

I've been keeping fish and growing plants for decades, but never kept an aquarium plant alive.  Three years ago Fate delivered my first fish rescue, and after watching hours of videos, I decided to join two hobbies.  After watching yet another Coop video about how easy it is supposed to be growing plants I emailed the Coop and Candi suggested that I come here.

• Like 2

[Correction] When I got a betta fish for my son, I started doing some online research, and YouTube lead me to Aquarium Co-Op, King of DIY, Rachel O'Leary, etc. Cory's "voice of reason" and approach to the hobby really resonated with me, which is why I kept watching his channel. During one of his live streams a few years ago, someone asked if they could collaborate with him, and Cory said, "Since you just started your channel, I don't really know what kind of fish keeper you are. If you're really serious about YouTube, try making 1 video a week for 6 months to build up a portfolio, and then let's talk." I too had just started my own channel and was inspired to take on this challenge for myself. Now I get to collaborate with Cory every week on blog posts, videos, etc. 😉

Edited by Irene
accidentally posted to the wrong thread
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Google i remember I had 29 Gallon  tank for years but  only had fish  no plants at the time but i just wanted more info on my new African  Dwarf Frogs i just  bought ,,this was my first video below  i watched   it says 7 years ago .. i would watch Cory videos  occasionally ..if google came up with a video on subject i was searching for  ..  but i knew Aquarium coop  had a shop but I did not shop or follow Aquarium Coop  on weekly bases until till i upgraded to a bigger tank and  i wanted live plants .. then i started watching regular and shopping at the online store Candi told me of the forum so glad i started following on a regular bases i learned allot from Cory and team and found a place to talk fish and plants  with ..  now if i buy fish or plant supplies  or need advice i go to Aquarium Coop or here  first i love watching the old and new streams they do 

Edited by Bev C

When I went to get back into the hobby.  I did a lot of research,  to see what had changed in 12 year's.  The more  I looked online the more the Co-op came up.  I really liked the factual way the Co-op presented the information.  No filler or well this is what these YouTube people said.  It was real facts and well research products.