Greetings from Ireland

Hey fellow fish nerms,

Glad to finally join up here, there's not much of a scene here in Ireland for the hobby sadly. Thankfully we have the internet these days so I can at least enjoy the hobby virtually with all the people on it. I have a pretty insatiable appetite for knowledge in the hobby so looking forward to sharing and learning a lot with everyone!

At first I was all about the fish but I got myself fascinated by inverts, particularly snails and have ended up a bit of a super nerd on them. I've also been really taken by the aquascaping scene lately and I'm already planning out all the ideas I want to build.

I know you all want to see cool pics so here are some of my main tank. Tried to scape something before I knew how to scape something so it's a constant WIP as I slowly improve it. You can see my spixi snails and a bunch of neos living happily in there. The snails certainly like to make life hard by uprooting my plants for me. Guess they're just trying to help by giving me more planting practice! :classic_happy:

Oh and I'm also the guy behind AquaHome! (https://www.aquahome.app/) When I started off in the hobby, I tried to look for an app to help me with the hobby but honestly, none of the current ones were satisfactory to me. So I ended up building it, a companion app for the hobby to help people manage and learn about everything. We're constantly improving it so if you're interested do check it out!

PXL_20210719_105546346.jpg.cb830ddd86bdda70e687da3400541fb9.jpg

PXL_20210704_160949040.jpg.f973153ab1fe87dae7f28a9672ce480f.jpg

PXL_20210608_153833807.PORTRAIT.jpg.2dd48ec8bbd7a81b5c3c38dcf4404a63.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 3

Thanks for the welcomes! @Solstice_Lacer Yeah that's very common in some countries like the US. The Irish did a lot of emigrating back then.

@DaveO That's Litorella uniflora growing in the front (included pics below for all the plant species I'm using here). It's definitely a very unique looking plant in the hobby, it's got thick succulent needle leaves. It's also pretty undemanding but not very common in the hobby unfortunately. I'm trying to grow a monte carlo carpet in between it but between only running low levels of CO2 and the snails uprooting it, it's taking a looot of patience.

1307326758_photo1627229768(1).jpeg.5421d51edba06cb321839a62cda2486c.jpeg1903639482_photo1627229768(2).jpeg.f3b75f3ab76ad8acc2170a8d11bbe5fd.jpeg2083693680_photo1627229768(3).jpeg.853af8443a0ed65439955bf7e9ccf0cc.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The more I look at your scape, the more I like it. It's my impression that those of us who are not trying to follow the unspoken rules of making a tank look "right" are generally doing it for fun. We end up with cartoon decorations, and helter-skelter planting. But your uniqueness is so appealing to me. As if each small section is a separate world, yet the worlds are cohesive. I don't pay much attention to aesthetics, so I don't have good vocab to explain, but I really like it. It's both intriguing and peaceful.  

• Love 1

@CalmedByFish Wow, those words fill me with warmth. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. It is very peaceful and I often just plop down in front of the tank and watch it to zone out. I know we're all mostly doing our tanks for ourselves but I can't think of greater praise for our work than someone else wanting to see our tanks more than once! 

I did get inspiration for this simple diorama tank from a local national park I sometimes go to. The front right of the tank is meant to signify transition to a lake with more reed like plants. The plants at the back represent different types of forests at the base of the mountains. I feel like I did a pretty decent job of translating that to my tank.

@Taco Playz Thanks for the welcome and I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the app! Your avatar is hands down the coolest I've seen on here so far.

• Thanks 2

On 7/27/2021 at 5:27 PM, AlgaeIsYum said:

I did get inspiration for this simple diorama tank from a local national park I sometimes go to. The front right of the tank is meant to signify transition to a lake with more reed like plants. The plants at the back represent different types of forests at the base of the mountains.

Well that explains why the different areas look like their own unique locations! You really did do that well. I did think it looks like a large landscape, rather than a few feet of space. You nailed it.

• Thanks 1